Moles and pregnancy?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran
Okay i'm kind of worried. I have always had a red mole on my left breast since I can remember. I heard that moles do grow in size when your pregnant, not to sure if it's true or not. Whenever I would get my period it would get a little darker in color. NOW, I went to shower this morning and i seen this HUGE thing on my breast and I looked down, the mole is sticking out far, is suppperr elevated off my skin, and there is a red circle looks like blood coming to the surface around it. It almost looks like it would be Melanoma skin cancer. I'm going to get it checked out tonight, but I'm curious has anyone ever had a red mole while pregnant and experienced anything like this?
May 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Mine is brown, not red, but it has changed with every pregnancy. I should probably get it checked out...but it doesn't sound anything like yours. That's scary! I'm glad you're going in today!

May 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I haven't but my DH had a mole on his shoulder. It always looked the same but one time, when he went in for a physical, the GP asked if he wanted it removed. He said sure so the GP numbed it up, cut it out, put a couple stitches in and sent it to pathology just in case. It's hard to k now in pregnancy because we have so much extra blood flow. Good thing you're getting it checked out, just in case.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
May 19th, 2011, 05:13 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I don't have any but agree it's better to get it checked than not. Let us know what the dr says.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Once when I was about 18-19 weeks along, I had been having super dry skin (it was winter) so I got a Vitamin E face moisturizer that was all-natural and not tested on animals. I used it for a couple of days and my skin felt softer but also sort of weird. Then I had a sudden random resurgence of morning sickness, vomited, and when I went to the sink to wash up and saw myself in the mirror, I freaked out. I had HUNDREDS of tiny, bright red, slightly raised dots ALL over my face, especially around my eyes, some even on my neck. I looked completely diseased!!! It was really scary.

It turned out to be some kind of broken blood vessel thing that can happen from vomiting, and was probably made worse because of the excess blood volume of pregnancy. I also stopped using the moisturizer and got one that HAD been tested on animals (or I assume it had, just some drugstore sensitive skin brand). The red dots slowly faded over the next week or so. I had to wear make-up, which I don't usually do, because I was so self-conscious about it, it seriously look crazy.

Anyway, my point is that maybe you have something similar, or at least that pregnancy can give you all sorts of weird skin problems. I know I've had several different unusual rashes and stuff over this pregnancy, they all went away on their own eventually. It is still worth getting checked out, but don't assume it's cancer or anything, it could well be a random varicose vein or something like that.

KUP and GL...

May 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If it is red, it sounds like a cherry angioma rather than a typical mole. I have one on my shoulder, and people tend to get more as they age. If it has grown so much, it would be reasonable to have it looked at by a dermatologist. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I tried to find a picture of a cherry angioma, and this is the best that I could find:
http://www.skinsite.com/info_angioma.htm

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
May 20th, 2011, 04:10 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have quite a few moles. With my last pregnancy I remember having a red flat dot on my left breast before becoming pregnant, and while I was pregnant it got bigger, raised then turned brown. And it sits there still. I have another flat one, on the same breast, but it hasn't changed yet. My dermatologist said it was just a mole and nothing to worry about, but you should still get yours checked. I go every year to check any changes in them (really, I have a lot, my back is like a constellation, I hate it).

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

May 20th, 2011, 06:13 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Good plan getting it checked out. Always better safe than sorry!

Yes, moles do change during pregnancy. But my dermatologist said you should still always get them checked out, during or afterward. Your body changes so much during pregnancy that a previously harmless mole could turn problematic. Also, your skin is constantly be exposed to carcinogens and what you might attribute to pregnancy changes are really dangerous changes.

I had a cancerous mole removed shortly after I had Liam. It changed throughout pregnancy and I had it checked out when he was about 3 months old. It had been deemed harmless many times before (I am very, very moley and have had four previously removed cancerous moles, so it is not unusual for me). Apparently either pregnancy changes or *more likely* environmental changes caused it to become cancerous. Thankfully, when you take them off early, the cells are not generally spread very far and it is usually not an issue. They will just biopsy it and take out as much of the skin around it if it comes in cancerous.

If it really bothers you, even if it is not cancerous, you can ask to have it removed. I had a red one taken off my back for that reason. Just because it was in an uncomfortable spot (bra line) and always got irritated. So if it is possible it was being irritated by your bra, it might be reacting to that too. Hope it is nothing but "unsightly."
May 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Crys's Avatar Vampire Loving Mama :)
Send a message via MSN to Crys Send a message via Yahoo to Crys
Just peeking in here. I am not trying to scare you but over last summer while pg with my 2nd ds I had a mole on my back that started kinda bugging me and growing. It itched like crazy and grew and grew. I got it looked at and biopsied in April. The diagnosis ended up being stage 4 Melanoma. I have already had one surgery and lymph node biopsy and two more surgeries that will be performed before I will start Immunotherapy. I am hoping for your sake it is nothing but after what i have gone through I would say its better safe than sorry.

Good luck

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search