Midwife

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I had my consultation with a midwife today and I have officially graduated from OB to midwife!!! We are hoping to give birth at a birth center or at home. We are planning on birth center right now. It is awesome that I am now good enough to be out of an OB office!!

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

May 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sooooooo jealous....... but, also happy for you!!! That's awesome.

I'm going for a natural childbirth in a hospital with an OB. Unfortunately around here there are really no other options - there aren't even any doulas. Not the best part of the country for NCB.

May 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I love my midwife!!!!! She is just as good as an OB. She is testing me so much to see why I'm miscarrying when AF arrives when I had my first appointment she was like "were gonna take care of you" I hope I can carry a baby to term and her deliver it.

Congrats on going to the midwife! Aren't they wonderful?

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
May 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
lucky! I really wanted a midwife since I'll be trying for a VBAC but hubby is against it since we've been with my dr for so long. She's willing to do VBAC but isn't completely PRO VBAC, so I just hope it all works out!
May 19th, 2011, 11:20 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is soooo awesome!

I had midwives for my last birth and it was the absolute best choice I could have made. If I could choose a midwife now I would!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I had a midwife with my first two. I have an OB now. I have loved them all. I had an office with a midwife and OB for my first two and liked that there was an OB for those times when things didn't go right. Which happened with my first. Congrats on getting a midwife. They are much more about you and less about problems IMO.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
That's great. I seem to graduate in the other direction and went from an OB to a perinatologist. A birthing center sounds great. I'm so jealous.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
May 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!! I gave birth to my youngest at a hospital but with a midwife and very little interventions, not even an IV (just some monitoring here and there and a shot of some mild muscle relaxers during transition) It was such a great experience!

With this baby we are going to go the doctor route (my choice) due to my age. I thought it would be just as easy being pregnant as when I was 20 but even I have to admit I have had my struggles this far.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

May 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks ladies. I am so excited. I am terrified of where we move if I move to a state where home births are illegal and whatnot. I will be moving at about 28 weeks or so. But, until then, I am so happy with this place and the referrals they will give.

May 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Home births are illegal in some states?? I did not know that! I wonder why...

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
May 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyE117 View Post
Home births are illegal in some states?? I did not know that! I wonder why...
I have no clue but it pisses me off! I am not going to forbid DH to get a job in those states, but I will not be happy to move to one of them since I am barely starting my family.

May 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Homebirth is not illegal anywhere in the U.S. What is illegal is having a licensed provider in some states. So, you can have a homebirth, but cannot have a midwife present at the birth. Or you have an 'underground' midwife that will more or less abandon you if you need to transfer to the hospital.

It is illegal for me to have a licensed provider for home birth in many states because of my previsou c-section. Even though I have had 4 succesful VBACs, now that irks me!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rachel, you've probably already done your research, but just in case you haven't seen this, here is some info on midwives for when you move:

(from that ever-trusted source, Wikipedia ):
In 27 states it is legal to hire a direct-entry midwife, or certified professional midwife (CPM). It is legal in all 50 states to hire a certified nurse midwive, or CNM, who are trained nurses, though this practice is rare as most CNMs work in hospitals. Some CPMs continue to attend mothers in the 23 states where it is illegal, and can be arrested and prosecuted, while efforts are underway to change the law.

List of the legal status of direct entry midwives by state:
Direct-Entry Midwifery State-by-State Legal Status

Midwife types:
A direct-entry midwife is educated in the discipline of midwifery in a program or path that does not require prior education as a nurse. Direct-entry midwives learn midwifery through self-study, apprenticeship, a private midwifery school, or a college- or university-based program distinct from the discipline of nursing. A direct-entry midwife is trained to provide the Midwives Model of Care to healthy women and newborns throughout the childbearing cycle primarily in out-of-hospital settings.

Under the umbrella of "direct-entry midwife" are several types of midwives:

A Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) is a knowledgeable, skilled and professional independent midwifery practitioner who has met the standards for certification set by the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) and is qualified to provide the midwives model of care. The CPM is the only US credential that requires knowledge about and experience in out-of-hospital settings. At present, there are approximately 900 CPMs practicing in the US.

A Licensed Midwife is a midwife who is licensed to practice in a particular state. Currently, licensure for direct-entry midwives is available in 24 states.

The term "Lay Midwife" has been used to designate an uncertified or unlicensed midwife who was educated through informal routes such as self-study or apprenticeship rather than through a formal program. This term does not necessarily mean a low level of education, just that the midwife either chose not to become certified or licensed, or there was no certification available for her type of education (as was the fact before the Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) credential was available).

The American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) also provides accreditation to non-nurse midwife programs, as well as colleges that graduate nurse-midwives. This credential, called the Certified Midwife, is currently recognized in only three states (New York, New Jersey, and Rhode Island). All CMs must pass the same certifying exam administered by the American Midwifery Certification Board for CNMs.

The North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) is a certification agency whose mission is to establish and administer certification for the credential "Certified Professional Midwife" (CPM). The CPM certification process validates entry-level knowledge, skills, and experience vital to responsible midwifery practice. This certification process encompasses multiple educational routes of entry including apprenticeship, self-study, private midwifery schools, college- and university-based midwifery programs, and nurse-midwifery. Created in 1987 by the Midwives' Alliance of North America (MANA), NARM is committed to identifying standards and practices that reflect the excellence and diversity of the independent midwifery community in order to set the standard for North American midwifery.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
May 22nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I saw in another post that one of the places that you might be moving is Texas, and if that's the case you will probably be good there if you are in an urban area. They allow direct-entry midwives to become licensed and attend out-of-hospital births.

Florida, where I live, has similar laws. The midwives in my group all have 3 years of formal midwifery training (there is a midwifery school here in my city) and are certified by NARM (CPMs) and licensed in Florida (LM). One of my friends is a CNM, and she had many less required births to get her CNM license than my midwives did to get their LM licenses.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search