Betas?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2011, 11:58 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Did you do them?
Why or why not?
Did they help you if you did them?
Did it help not doing them?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you do them? Yes!
Why or why not?RE ordered them
Did they help you if you did them?Yes, they also checked my progesterone levels and found they were dropping

May 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
SoCaliMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Did you do them? Yes
Why or why not?RE ordered them
Did they help you if you did them?Yes, it was nice to know the #'s were rising like they should and to check progesterone.

May 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes! I don't remember why I did them because I swore I wasn't going to at first, lol... After the first set of betas it was a great feeling.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

May 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Did you do them? Yes
Why or why not? When I thought I was miscarriage before, the ER did one so I wanted to compare to that number.
Did they help you if you did them? No, they were slow to rise so the nurse who kept giving me my results kept telling me it was ectopic or I was going to miscarry. I stopped after 5 and just waited until the u/s
Did it help not doing them? I would have been better off not doing them.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
May 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Did you do them? With this pregnancy, no. With my last loss, yes.

Why or why not? I chose not to do them this time because it was too stressful and a reminder of my loss the month before. I had done them with the previous (loss) pregnancy because I thought it would have been helpful since I had just had a loss two months before that.

Did they help you if you did them? With my loss pregnancy, obviously no. My numbers were in the 50-something hour doubling time range, and everyone told me that was fine, but it just stressed me out and then my fears came true.

Did it help not doing them? With this pregnancy, yes, it helped not to do them. I actually wasn't completely convinced that I had a new pregnancy (given my loss the month before), so it helped me to pretend that I might not be pregnant until the first ultrasound at 6.5 weeks. I would have been much more obsessive and worried had I been doing blood work during the two weeks between my positive hpt and the ultrasound.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
May 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you do them? Yes
Why or why not? It was part of my early pregnancy monitoring to make sure I didn't have a repeat ectopic. They used it to schedule my early u/s's and figure out exactly how far along I was and what they should expect to see on u/s.
Did they help you if you did them? I knew I had to do it, it was standard procedure. It was really stressful though because my betas were high and rising well, but then they couldn't see what they expected on the u/s given my HCG level... I knew intellectually that it didn't necessarily mean anything and that the betas are just a rough indicator of things, but still I had several days of mortal terror between my 1st and 2nd u/s...
Did it help not doing them? If it weren't for my increased risk of ectopic I would never do betas again. For same reason as SillyKitty.

May 26th, 2011, 07:45 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you do them? Yes

Why or why not? Its better for me after repeated loss to know right away whether or not the pregnancy is viable. Im a numbers person and in my case the numbers have always been right. Either not doubling properly(more than 48hrs) and m/cing or doubling the way they should and going to term. I always knew when they went to 50 or 60hrs doubling time under 10,000 it was non-viable for me.

Did they help you if you did them? Yes, I need that closure one way or the other, as early as possible.

Did it help not doing them? Ive been having betas for the last 3 living children. My dd, 8yrs ago was a PAL, and we only did one set of betas, but it was still reassuring. I would recommend any one who has repeated loss's to have betas early on......this way your not hoping against hope.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

May 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Did you do them? Nope
Why or why not? New doc didn't order them.
Did it help not doing them? I honestly don't know. I have never had them done. It was a bit hard, but I got early ultrasounds and ultrasounds each appointment until baby was big enough for a doppler at 14 weeks.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

May 27th, 2011, 04:15 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did you do them? Nope
Why or why not? It's not standard practice at my OB office (or any that I know). In fact if it wasn't for JM I would know nothing about them
Did it help not doing them? Not sure as I've never had them, but I can see myself stressing over them if I did do them, so it was probably helpful not doing them. I had 2 early u/s and that was good.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

May 27th, 2011, 08:47 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Did you do them? I did six of them.
Why or why not? My doc wanted them because of my history of miscarriages, particularly chemicals. It was the first sign the pregnancy was not viable the other three times. This time it was a sign things were at least headed in the right direction before they could see something on sonogram.
Did they help you if you did them? No, they were very stressful and I was a nervous wreck. Next time I will prolly turn them down, even if they want to do them. I don't think they helped like I thought they would.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search