Pregnancy Diabetes?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Veteran
Just curious if anyone has diabetes from pregnancy? I had my check-up today and now i get tested for diabetes, they say they do it to everyone and now i'm worried lol! i know it's not like it's a huge danger. what does it do if you have it, and can you TELL if you have it before they take the blood work?
June 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
mom2moose
Every pregnant woman gets tested for gestational diabetes. Usually around the 24 to 28 weeks mark. I get my test in 3 weeks. It's just a one hour test, they make you drink some orange sugary stuff. Then if you pass, you're good. If you fail, they make you take a 3 hour test, that you have to fast for. If you pass that, you're good. If you fail, you have GD. Most likely, you're fine. Occasionally though, women who don't have diabetes in "normal" life, do get it while pregnant. Hence, why we all get tested for it.
June 7th, 2011, 06:03 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
It is a very standard test . Nothing to worry about. I think there are some things that can increase your risk but most likely you would know if you were at risk before now. Let us know how you do .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Veteran
ooooh haha i heard that stuff they make you drink is gross! SOO looking forward to that! lol. I'll let you know how it goes when i take it. I'm suppose to go whenever i feel like it. maybe ill eat tons of fruit for a week, then go lol
June 8th, 2011, 03:08 AM
mom2moose
They say to not eat anything sugary before the test, that it could come back as a false positive. Then you'd have to do the 3 hour test. That's what happened to me with my daughter. The drink isn't awful, it's just like REALLY sugary Kool-Aid.
June 8th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure you will be fine, especially if they have not told you you are t higher risk for having gestational diabetes. Just make sure you drink the drink when they tell you to. The first time I had that test, they gave me the drink take home and said, "Just drink it before you come in." What they didn't say was I had to drink it an hour before my blood was drawn. So when I got there I said, I drank it in the car on the way over. They said fine. Well no one timed anything, so I failed and had to have the three hour. That is a fasting test and it was not fun to just because you're starving and then they're throwing all this sugar at you.

I passed the 3 hour. With my second pregnancy I told them, "Can i drink it when I get here instead?" They told me that was fine. I got there, told them exact time (and I think you only have a certain number of minutes to drink it in...first time I drank at my leisure and finished it in the car) I started and finished. They timed exactly an hour and I was fine! Much easier only having to do the one hour.

I am sure you'll be fine. my nurses at the time just didn't think that they should give instructions when they send you home with that stuff. lol
This is the miracle of love.” -Maureen Mansfield

(6), (3) and a due Dec. 25, 2011 and one up above and forever in our hearts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search