Eye Patching

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know this is off topic as it deals with my 4 year old, but has anyone here ever had to have a child wear eye patches? We found out today that Max is legally blind in one eye and we need to get him glasses and he has to wear an eye patch over his good eye all day every day for the next few months (or longer). I'm completely panicked about how hard this is going to be for him and how serious it can be if it doesn't work. We honestly had no idea because his eyesight in his other eye is perfect and so he'd been compensating. Looking for any success stories or advice on getting him to wear a patch for 10-12 hours a day.

Thanks,
Becca
June 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We had to do this/are still doing this, only we were told we only had to do it for two hours a day. We were also told that Connor was legally blind in one eye.
I will be honest with you, it was difficult at first because he freaked out whenever we put the patch on him. We were supposed to do it for 9 months to a year, and it has probably been more than a year now but I haven't taken him back to the optometrist yet. I am going to make him an appointment after school lets out for the year. I am afraid that they will tell us that it hasn't improved much because it has been so off and on. It is difficult to work a two hour stretch in every day, especially since I had to basically bribe him with video games and I don't like him playing video games that much. The problem is that if I don't have him sitting down in front of the TV playing video games, I catch him with the patch lifted up so that it isn't doing the job. I guess what I am saying is that this is going to be difficult, but maybe with him wearing it all day it will be easier to do. He should get used to it quickly and then maybe leave it alone. Good luck!

June 8th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so surprised that my doctor said all day long when everything I've read says 3-6 hours max... but of course I trust the doctor and should not read so much online! He will be wearing glasses with the patch to help the bad eye so it isn't as hard as if we just patched, but i do think it's going to be a big challenge. We go back every 3-4 weeks though so maybe the longer periods of time are supposed to speed this along (or maybe that is just wishful thinking!). We are waiting for his glasses to come in - hopefully Saturday - so we can just get started and maybe it will feel more maneagable then. Oh, and I work full time so he will have to do this at school - not sure if that will be easier or harder for him.
June 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Connor has glasses, too. I think wearing it all day might make things better. He will get so used to wearing the patch and glasses that it won't be such a big deal for him, if you see what I mean? You might want to try a reward system if it is rocky going at first. Like count down the weeks with a treat? Maybe let him count down the days with letting him put stickers on a calendar? We've used this sort of reward system before and it works quite well! Good luck!

June 8th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes! We were just tlaking about this tonight. I think we will give him stickers every day he makes it a set amount of hours to ease him into it and when he gets 7 stickers we take a trip to Toys R Us. He usually is easy going with difficult situations but this scares me a lot. Thank you for your response!
June 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have no personal experience but I have an aunt that did this. She did hers all day though and to be honest her eye sight in the other eye (good one) is now terrible. They think its from not using it for so long. I would probably get a second opinion just to be sure all day is really the best thing for him. You might want to pop down to the children with vision, hearing and sensory board and see if any of those ladies have experience too Children with Vision, Hearing & Sensory Issues - JustMommies Message Boards
Good luck I hope he does ok with it.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search