Pain Management during labor

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2011, 04:35 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What types of pain management will you be using (or did use) during labor?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

July 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I've had an epidural all 3 times prior. I might try the tub this go around, if I'm feeling courageous enough to take the monitors off...but we'll see how things go.

July 18th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
if I'm feeling courageous enough to take the monitors off...but we'll see how things go.
It makes me so sad that you even have to think this way. ((Many hugs))

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

July 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
There's a certain amount of relief when I make it to labor with a living baby in the first place, and I've been feeling really good about this pregnancy, so that's why I'm even considering the tub. lol

July 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I labored for 22 hours with Benjamin before finally getting the epidural. I hadn't had time to finish my birthing classes, due to preterm labor, so I was going without even knowing how to breathe. lol

With Nathan I was bound and determined to go completely natural with no meds, I used the tub (HEAVEN) and the birthing ball...I made it to 9cm's (and was in my 24th hour of labor) and SCREAMED at the nurse to get me the anethesiologist. She told me she thought it was too late for an epidural, but he said if I could lay still long enough for it he would place it...so he did...I was holding Nathan 15 or 20 minutes later. SO, it wasn't in full effect but it sure took the edge off.

This time I'm unsure. I am going with we'll see what the day and labor brings. lol

My reason for trying NOT to get an epidural is just that I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of them...beyond terrified. BUT, I got to a point with both boys where I just wanted relief and that got me over my fear real quick. I assume I'll get there again. hahahaha
This is the miracle of love.” -Maureen Mansfield

(6), (3) and a due Dec. 25, 2011 and one up above and forever in our hearts.

July 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
JesSsica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be getting an epidural.

I had an epidural with my dd that wore off. I felt everything including being sewn up after and it SUCKED! I wasn't "present" for her labor because I'm a wimp about pain and was just fixated on it. I never thought to call the anesthesiologist back in to fix things. I didn't enjoy it, I didn't watch her being born in the mirror, I was so, so, so in pain.

With my son I had the best epidural ever. I watched him being born, played with his hair while he crowned, and enjoyed every minute of it. I was very present for every minute.

I want that again. I will have the epidural hooked up about 4 weeks before I'm due so I feel nothing-- ever. Truly. HA!
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

^angel^ 10wks, 2 days, D&C 12wks, 3 days 11-2-09
^angel^ 5wks, 5 days 1-2-10
^angel^ 11wks, 1 day 5-22-10 with D&C
July 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
mom2moose
I'm all for the epi. The only thing I hate is that when you get it, you have to have a catheter, but I am not the type of girl who's "I am woman, hear me ROAR!!" If I can take the edge off of the pain, I will. With Moose though, it didn't take and I sadly felt everything. I'm hoping it works for me this time!!!
July 18th, 2011, 05:24 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After 4 natural births, and then having Mia with an Epi, Im torn....I mean it was an UNBELIEVABLE delivery, not an iota of pain, not one contraction did I feel (I got the epi before they induced me), but the swelling after delivery was horrible. My eyes became slits and my whole body ballooned up. I was like this for almost 3-4 days. I dont want that again, but I also love the NO PAIN delivery.....I just cant decide, lol...

If they could tell me the swelling was a one time thing and not likely to happen again, I would go for it I guess.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

July 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
mom2moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5lopez View Post
After 4 natural births, and then having Mia with an Epi, Im torn....I mean it was an UNBELIEVABLE delivery, not an iota of pain, not one contraction did I feel (I got the epi before they induced me), but the swelling after delivery was horrible. My eyes became slits and my whole body ballooned up. I was like this for almost 3-4 days. I dont want that again, but I also love the NO PAIN delivery.....I just cant decide, lol...

If they could tell me the swelling was a one time thing and not likely to happen again, I would go for it I guess.
Did you ask your OB? I asked mine about if I got the epi again, if it was for sure NOT going to work, as it didn't the first time. She told me that just because it happened once, doesn't mean it WILL happen again. Apparently, epi's are weird like that??? I don't know. I wouldn't like to be puffed up for 3 days. I was standing and fine less than an hour after delivery. but then again, as it didn't take, I felt EVERYTHING, including when she cut me and when she sewed me up later. NOT for the faint of heart. LOL
July 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a natural home birth, if all goes as planned, so I'll be using the tub and visualization techniques. This worked well for my natural labor/delivery with DD#2. I labored with her in the tub, and I had practiced relaxing my body so much that I was in a sort of trance until it was time to push.

I had an epi with my first that didn't take away the back labor but made me not able to move my legs, and I hated it. I'd rather be in control than completely pain free.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
July 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
With DS I didn't have any pain meds.

Now I am going to have a C Section, so I am not sure what they will give me.

July 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
jennybunny82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurSweetLabs View Post
With DS I didn't have any pain meds.

Now I am going to have a C Section, so I am not sure what they will give me.
With my C-section I had a spinal... weirdest creepiest feeling ever. You can't feel from your arms down. Even though I had an oxygen mask on my face, I felt like I couldn't breathe cuz my chest felt so heavy. Most likely this will be a repeat C-section and I'll have to deal with it again. Still weirdest feeling ever...

July 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
What are the other pain medication options out there besides an epi? With the older 2 boys I had demoral (yuck) and with kyle just 1 shot of stadol at 9cm.

I don't think I want to have the epidural but I would like some type of relief.

July 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
mom2moose
I got a shot of something, while waiting for the epi. I'm not sure what the name of it was. I HATED it. It made me sick to my stomach and knocked me out cold, until a contraction hit, then I was in misery. What good is that?? I wish I could remember the name of the pain med. I will NOT be doing that again!!

When my mom had my sister, she was hypnotized!!! Her doctor did it. She said she didn't feel a thing and even helped pull my sister out. Too bad they don't do things like that anymore.
July 18th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going natural with breathing and visualization techniques.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

July 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I had pain meds in my IV with my first because I so wanted to go natural but needed something to help get me over the hump. It did nothing for me. I said forget this and got the epi . I was induced with my second and got the epi at the same time they started my IV . I plan to get the epi asap. Mine have always gone well and even thought I hate needles with a passion, I won't dilate in pain. I fight every moment and clench down instead of relaxing. So for me its needed to get me to the finish line . I tried some of the other things, birthing balls, back rubs, walking, no tub though. None of it worked for me. I don't have a high pain threshold.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

July 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
epidural here! That's one main reason i'm going to get induced so I can be off of my blood thinners and can get the epidural (not the only reason though)...I'm going to make it very clear to my doctor that I don't want a natural labor...I've had good epidurals and i've had crappy ones that didn't work...hopefully this time it will be a good one! i've also had IV drugs, but they usually just make you feel high for a couple minutes, and don't really take any pain away.

July 18th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
I won't dilate in pain. I fight every moment and clench down instead of relaxing. So for me its needed to get me to the finish line .
That's what it seemed like for me with Patrick. I was stuck at not quite 5 for several hours before I got the epi.

We'll see what happens this time.

July 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD I had hoped to go natural, but I went in with an open mind. After laboring for 28 hours and being induced I'd had it and opted for the epidural. I had tried the tub, but for me it did nothing. In fact, the jets made the contractions worse.

My birthing hospital only offers walking epidurals, so I still felt plenty, including the contractions so I knew when to push myself without being told, but it was a relief from nothing at all. And I was able to get up not long after with the nurse to go to the bathroom.

I hope to go natural this time, but again, open mind!

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

July 19th, 2011, 06:18 AM
What is a walking epidural?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search