Trip to the ER for me (baby is fine)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2011, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kind of long but contains some lessons....

After two days of having heart palpitations, I finally attempted to visit and got rejected by my OB/GYN, my general practitioner, and the urgent care by my house and sent to the ER last night.

It was terrifying because, as soon as I got there, they rushed me back for an EKG which was so hurried I thought for sure that they were convinced I was almost dead (despite walking in smiling).

My BP was pretty high but that's cause they freaked me out!

Nothing showed on the monitors although they watched me for about 3 hours. I still felt it. It was like a "KerTHUMP" here and there.

It turns out that my magnesium and potassium were low so they made me take some oral potassium (salty and YUCK) and put me on a magnesium IV. I feel better since then so that was probably the right diagnosis.

I have to follow up with my GP and my OB. Because they never saw anything on the EKG, the ER doctor said that my GP might want to send me to a cardiologist for a halter monitor (one that I have attached to me for probably 3 days).

In the meantime, I'm going to increase my levels by eating more foods that contain them. We're also in that heat wave so I've already been trying to drink a ton of fluids.

Funny thing is that I have been craving avocados, salads, and fruits (which contain what I need). I guess this is a lesson in LISTENING to what your body is asking for.

Also, for the first time in this pregnancy, I felt the baby flipping and kicking ALL over the place at the ER while they were evaluating me. Maybe he/she felt my stress? I don't know but it was reassuring.
Baby's heart rate was 163.

It was scary for a while but after I got settled in, I knew there was nothing completely seriously wrong with me (imminent death!) but I'm still a little rattled by it all.
July 22nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I am glad that you are starting to feel better. I really try to eat the things my body tells me to in moderation. I am also glad that baby is doing well. KUP when you hear from your GP or your OB/GYN.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 22nd, 2011, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That must have been scary! Glad you're doing better now.
July 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That is scary! I'm glad you're okay and they gave you enough to make you a little better. My ob keeps pounding me to drink gatorade and/or powerade...it helps with potassium I know...I don't know about magnesium!

Fun about feeling Bean bouncing all over...and great heartrate!! KUP!!
This is the miracle of love.” -Maureen Mansfield

(6), (3) and a due Dec. 25, 2011 and one up above and forever in our hearts.

July 22nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Glad you are ok. Yes you should listen to what your body wants/needs . I hope you continue to feel better and don't have to go back to the ER anytime soon. Wohoo for feeling movement that is always reassuring.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

July 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! I drank some Powerade today but it has more sodium than potassium so I'm going to look into other things. Yogurt is pretty high in it so I had some of that and fruit and veggies . But I'm HUNGRY. Grrr

Maybe a baby growth spurt was what set this all off. Baby is using me like a trampoline today, too!
July 22nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Bananas have lots of potassium. I get cramps in my feet because my magnesium and potassium are off. I also had heart palpitations and had to wear a halter monitor and then do a stress test while pregnant. Not fun. I hope it all just clears up (mine did).

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I still feel better but I think I am still getting the palpitations, just not as strong or frequent.

My GP told me to meet with my OB. OB said they'd try to fit me in and would call back but they didn't. They are usually good about call backs so I'm surprised I haven't heard anything. I guess they might still call tonight.
July 22nd, 2011, 03:33 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hoping that they stay infrequent for you and you wont need another trip the ER tonight.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

July 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Sillylittlefishey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How scary but I'm glad everyone is ok!! (((HUGS)))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search