Confused about ultrasound results

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was a heartbeat, I'll start with that.

By LMP, I should be 6w6d. The baby was measuring 5w6d and had a heart rate of 103. The heart rate is good for the size the baby was measuring. But I don't understand how I could be a full week behind.

I use Excel to chart, so I don't have anything online to point you ladies to look at.

My period was 6/10. For various reasons I was unable to temp from CD 5 (6/14) through CD 13 (6/22). When I took my temp on CD14 (6/23), it was already well above my normal coverline.

I had a dip on 6/29 (CD 20). I had a negative test on 7/2 (which was 11 days after when I was guessing I ovulated based on having FM on 6/21 and higher temps after that). I got a positive on 7/7 (CD 28).

I had been assuming the dip on 6/29 was implantation. But by the ultrasound measurements, it could very well have been ovulation. Which would mean I got a positive 8 DPO. And even weirder? That on 7/8 my hCG was 433. Isn't 433 pretty much unheard of at around 7-9 DPO (which is what I was by measurements)? And yes, there was only one baby.

So now I'm worried. Either I'm some hCG producing freak or my baby is growing very slowly. Isn't slow growth a bad sign?
July 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
mom2moose
Measuring isn't an exact science though, nor is HcG. The fact that there WAS a heartbeat is HUGE!!! That alone would make me overlook the other things. Are you getting a follow up u/s to make sure baby is progressing at the right rate??
July 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Wohoo for a heartbeat!! That is fabulous news. And that early its not uncommon for the u/s to be off by up to a week. It's all human interpretation as to how big everything is. I had a tech show me one time how just a slight shift of the cursor changes the dates. Are you getting another u/s? I don't fully understand how the temps work and if that means you are ovulating or did ovulate . Sorry I am not much help. I hope that you get another u/s to show growth and put your mind at ease.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

July 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know much about charting or tempting as I never did it. Yeah for a heartbeat!!

I am sorry I am not much help but I hope you get good answers soon!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

July 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
But if the measurement was wrong and I am 6w6d, isn't 103 a slow heart rate for that far along?
July 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
mom2moose
Honestly, I would guess that you're somewhere in between what they think and what you think. And someone from this board (can't remember who) went in at 5.5 weeks and the heartrate was only 91 and she's still pregnant. (They told her that heartrate was totally fine for the gestation that she was.) Again, the heartrate varies on baby to baby.
July 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I know that 103 is fine for 5w6d. But it seems highly unlikely (given my hcg on 7/8) that I'm that early.

I guess I'm just worried that my baby is growing slowly and that something is wrong.
July 28th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Let me see if I can remember all of this correctly...

Beta draw #1 97
Beta draw #2 2,160

I forgot how far along I was at first draw based on LMP, but my OB told me it was low. Then when she heard the results from the second draw she asked if I was having twins. When the "dating" u/s was done it was found baby was measuring a week behind, based on LMP. I am now 22w along and everything is fine.

Seeing a HB is awesome and exciting and I'd try not to focus too much on the other things.

July 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm guessing you are probably somewhere between what you have based on LMP and u/s dates that can always be +/- 4 days. Since you heard a good heartbeat I wouldn't worry. Can they do another u/s in a week just to make sure baby is growing?

Also, to make you feel better, here is my flip out story. I was at an RE getting weekly u/s at the beginning. They discharged me at 8weeks and i was measuring right on track. 5 days later i went to my ob and was measuring only 7w3d (I was 8w5d at the time). I completely freaked that the baby was getting smaller even though dr. said heartbeat was strong. I went back to my RE to make sure and sure enough i was 8w6d the next day. My dr. machine is older and just had a slight calibration issue, but 2-3mm on an u/s machine makes a huge difference in dating that early on.

July 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks, ladies!

I'm starting to feel a little bit better. It probably helps that the nausea has picked up and I feel really close to puking. But seriously, being a week behind what I thought I was explains why I was having no symptoms.

I'm glad I have you ladies that understand the neurosis that is pregnancy after a loss.
July 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I talked to my ob about the dates when they do that first u/s and measure. He also showed me how the slightest shift changes the due date...sometimes by a lot...
He said also that if the person measuring doesn't get the proper "edge" lines that can change things too.

I agree with everyone else...the heartbeat is AWESOME and what you should focus on...the u/s measurement can be off...and if it's measuring a few day less, and you're off in your due date guess by a few days more...that could easily make it all make sense.

Hang in there, I know how stressful it is...we all do. And HOORAY for seeing that heartbeat!!!
This is the miracle of love.” -Maureen Mansfield

(6), (3) and a due Dec. 25, 2011 and one up above and forever in our hearts.

July 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yay for a heartbeat!! My dr said u/s can be off by up to 10 days and that unless baby is measuring 10 or more days behind/ahead they won't change the due date because babies comein all different sizes With my son, he measured 10 days behind (although I didn't chart or anything) and his DD was pushed back. With my loss, that baby measured 13 days behind in the beginning. This baby measured 7 days behind, and at the other 2 u/s was measuring only 3-4 days behind so DD was never changed, yay!! But I wouldn't worry too much (easier said then done I know!)
July 29th, 2011, 05:04 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for a heartbeat!! That's the best news!!!

I measured 1 week behind too at my first ultrasound (at what I thought was 6w2d). I had a follow-up ultrasound 2 weeks later and growth was exactly 2 weeks (although still "behind" by numbers by a week). I'm not sure about heartrates though...I don't think she told me them then.

And yeah, measurements can be very off depending on machine and operator. With DD I would got a 5 day difference in answers from the Radiologist and the tech on the same day just to show me how different it can be between operators(I work in Radiology so I got/get u/s for fun/relief there).

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

July 29th, 2011, 06:11 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY for a heartbeat! It's really hard sometimes for them to get measurements when bean is this small. Even the slightest bit off on the end line can cause a difference in dating. It's not an exact science. I think the heart rate sounds great!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

July 29th, 2011, 08:04 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I had an u/s at 7.5 weeks and was measuring 12 days behind. The next u/s two weeks later I was measuring only 2 days behind, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also at my first u/s 6w2d, the HB was only 99 and now it is in the 170's. I bet your next u/s everything is measuring normal

1/25/12

July 29th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A heartbeat is awesome! We all understand how hard it is not to freak out about every little thing. Just try to enjoy -- you ARE PREGNANT! We are all neurotic sometimes, so just hang out here and we'll all listen. Congrats again!

July 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
mmllhh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on the heartbeat.

I haven't gotten far enough to hear one, but a co worker of mine is PG, her doc keeps insisting that she is further along, 1 week, than she thinks she is. She was OPK'ing so she knows when she ovulated. So, it can be off, keep thinking about that great hb and congrats.

Forever Missing Our Ten Angels
July 30th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Libby22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for a hb

with my u/s was kinda like that but mine was I had a hb but it was slow and mm ten days behind, my midwife said early u/s can be off by a week on u/s, so I wouldnt worry.

15 feb last cycle- 24 days
11 march- 30 day cycle
New cycle 10 April nz time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search