BTDT Mamas -- Water Breaking

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2011, 06:10 AM
mom2moose
So I was reading in my pregnancy book that only 8 to 12% of women actually have their water break on their own. This seems like a crazy small number to me. (Especially when in all the movies, the woman has her water break EVERY TIME!! LOL) So, how many of you had your water break, and how many had the doc break it, etc??

My water apparently broke a teeny tiny bit on it's own. (I thought I peed myself.) It was a very little amount, then stopped. Eight hours later when I drove myself to the hospital, they told me my water had broke. Oops. But, the OB actually really broke it for me. (I was shocked there is so much fluid inside a person. Holy crap. It literally shot the wall and ran onto the floor. )

So, what's your story??
August 1st, 2011, 06:14 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That does seem like a crazy small number considering the birth rate in this country! With DS the OB broke my water during my induction, and with DD he broke it during her emergency c-section.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

August 1st, 2011, 06:17 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Midwife broke my waters. I was induced at 41w.

August 1st, 2011, 06:42 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
I was already 5/6 CM dialated, but the Doctor broke my water.

August 1st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've heard that number is the percentage of woman who have their water break before any contractions/labor starting. So a woman who is having contractions and then her water breaks on her own wouldn't be included in that.

With my son my water broke on its own before labor started. With my daughter I had them break my water about 30 minutes before I was pushing.

I read somewhere that eating eggs can strengthen the amniotic sac. I did try to eat more eggs with my daughter, because it's more pleasant to go into labor before ones water breaks.
August 1st, 2011, 07:03 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im 5 for 5 now with my water being lost just about an hour before pushing. 4 out of the five were broke by the dr. With my last one no one knows when it broke...the nurse swears it was fully intact at 7cm dialated and then when I pushed about an hour later it was gone.....I was bleeding pretty bad, but they weigh the pads with all that blood loss, and it did not seem that my water was in the blood loss. I thought I lost my water in early labor, but the nurse swears it was there at 7cm!
momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

August 1st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Mine broke on its own. It wasn't a huge gushy thing, thank goodness, but a slow leak. I had to put a towel in my underwear until we got to the hospital. I don't think a pad would have been good enough.
August 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlife View Post
I've heard that number is the percentage of woman who have their water break before any contractions/labor starting. So a woman who is having contractions and then her water breaks on her own wouldn't be included in that.
Exactly this. lol

I've never had my water break before labor, or even on its own. I'd like to wait on the water breaking this time to see how it goes. lol

August 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
ItsFinallyOct's Avatar Super Mommy
LOL....it must be a HOLLYWOOD thing I've always thought about where I will be and who's chair/carpet, etc I will ruin when it happens. In the movies you see it happen..and then bam...they are off to the hospital. They must glorify that as much as they do sex
August 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM
mom2moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsItOctYet View Post
LOL....it must be a HOLLYWOOD thing I've always thought about where I will be and who's chair/carpet, etc I will ruin when it happens. In the movies you see it happen..and then bam...they are off to the hospital. They must glorify that as much as they do sex
Hahahahahahahaha!! Totally agree to both parts. In the movies, a woman's water breaks somewhere public, then is like "Oh dear, we have to go to the hospital." Then she has a baby 10 minutes later with perfect makeup and not even breaking a sweat!! LOL
August 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Super Mommy
Ok, so I had one of the Hollywood moments (not the baby after 10 minutes thing though, lol!). My water broke 5 weeks early while I was at work. Amazingly it happened while I was on the toilet of all places, so no chair/carpet incidents here! I was driven home by my co-workers and I called the Dr. and they said to go to the hospital. So an hour and a half after my water broke I was at the hospital with 0 contractions and leaking all over.

Guess I'm a statistic now

August 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My water broke at home waaaaaayyyyyy before labor. As I was standing up from the couch (we were watching a movie - "JCVD" - still haven't seen the ending lol) it whooshed out (and for the record, my couch and carpet cleaned very well). Went and sat on the toilet and had another gush, then it mostly stopped. I had to be induced because I had no progression after that.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

August 1st, 2011, 10:27 AM
Super Mommy
I posted this in the DDC, but I can add my two bits here, too. Mine broke at home in bed. I got up to go pee and thought something seemed funny. The instant I lay back down in bed whoosh. I remember DH and I were laughing at having to completely remake the bed at midnight. Oh and just in case, put a waterproof sheet on your bed. We used a vinyl backed tablecloth and that did the trick, too. Contractions started on their own a couple of hours later and continued over the next 30 hrs. Needless to say I am hoping things will be shorter this time... although with a VBAC there is no way I will labour that long.
August 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM
SoCaliMommy's Avatar Super Mommy

With my daughter's pregnancy, the midwife broke it at 9cm

With my son, it broke a little itself while i was on the toliet and then a little bit later the midwife broke it the rest of the way. I was probably around 9cm at the time also.

Both kids my labor had already started i was having pretty strong contractions before my water broke on its own/ was broken by the midwife.

SAHM To A(11)R(9)H(3) x3 TTC#4 since July 2013

Earn Free Giftcards Join Swabucks Click Me
August 1st, 2011, 10:59 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
My daughter the dr broke my water at 5cm in an effort to help my labor progress. My son was induced so they broke it early on can't remember when exactly. I always worry mine will break in public LOL.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I labored to pushing without my water breaking. He *could* have been born in his sac...but he was hanging pretty high because of the water ahead of him and the midwife thought it would help me in the pushing stage if it was broken. So she broke it right as I was starting to push.

Strangely...I loved eggs when I was pregnant with Liam. Lol. Maybe that explains it.
August 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water broke with my youngest but not the other 2 boys.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

August 2nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
With my son the Dr broke it...
But with the girls, I was talking on the phone (went pee... yes while on the phone) Stood up and felt a pop... and gush. that was at 9pm no contrations. Continued to gush until I got to the hopsital at 930. I was 1cm 90% effaced. They tried to stop my labor... but the girls had other plans... I went VERY VERY fast.. by 1030 I was 3cm (this was while I was given Mag to stop labor), 1115 I was 6cm, 1205 I was 8.5cm AT 1215 ringing the bell saying i had to push. Julia my baby A born at 1239, Jillian baby B 1246.

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
August 3rd, 2011, 04:40 AM
JesSsica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my dd and the doctor broke my water. I went into labor on my own with my son and my water broke when I was 8 cm dilated. Both times it was full of meconium because my kids both came late.
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

^angel^ 10wks, 2 days, D&C 12wks, 3 days 11-2-09
^angel^ 5wks, 5 days 1-2-10
^angel^ 11wks, 1 day 5-22-10 with D&C
August 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first my waters broke at home while my husband was supposed to be getting ready for work. I wasn't really having any contractions, but we went into the hospital anyway. After being there a while I needed to go to the bathroom, so the nurse checked me before i got out of bed and was surprised to not feel a head. He was breech and I had a c-section about 30 minutes later.

With my next one I was in labor and ended up with an epidural, sometime during labor they ruptured my membranes, but I don't know when. With my third they broke on their own at some point, that labor was only 4 hours and the doctors didn't believe me, so as soon as they put me in my room she was born about 3 minutes after that so there was no time for interventions. With my fourth the doctor bullied me into rupturing membranes when he thought labor wasn't progressing well enough (I was admitted too soon) The ruptured membranes at 4-5 centimeters stopped all progress and then I was actually LESS dilated but of course now couldn't go home

This time no interventions, just going to let things happen the way they are meant to.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search