what type of bra is best?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I went from an A to a DD But as a result I am having a hard time finding a good support bra. Any suggestions? I have 1 from Victoria secrets but I don't even find that any good. I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

August 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
If you are more than 36'' around (like a 36DD), I HIGHLY suggestion Lane Bryant's Cacique line. They are amazing bras. VERY supportive.

Now, the thing about big boobs is that I am used to spending way too much money on bras. I have never, ever been able to go to Walmart or Target and get a 12.99 bra. So for me, the 32.00 is nothing to get a good bra. But I wanted to warn you that they are more than most people consider a good deal. I wear a 38H and wear nothing but their bras. They have a lot of good sales, you just have to watch for them. And sometimes have clearance, so that is a good thing to check.

Oh...and have them measure you. You might be surprised what size they suggest. I sure was!!
August 5th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I got measured when I went to Victoria Secrets, that is how I know what size I am. I think there is a Lane Bryants in the mall down the road, I will go check it out. I don't think that $32 is too much for 1 good bra for this pregnancy. The one at victoria secrets was like $54 before coupons and my friends discount.

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

August 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would tell you this, especially if your gonna ware it after the baby is born.....no underwire! Your boobs will get even bigger, even if you dont BF, before they get smaller.....and with your milk coming in, underwires are known for horrible clogged milk ducts, leading to infection.

Luckily, since I dont have breast tissue anymore, mine only expand about 1/2 cup size...but I dont have to ware bra's anymore, lol.....So I invest in lots of new panty's once the baby is born!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

August 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been there! I'm normally an A and after I had DS and DD I shot up to a DD. I had no idea how to handle that! I've always used the bras they sell at Motherhood Maternity, and they worked well for me. They're nursing bras, and I never nursed, and they were fine. I don't have anything to compare it to though.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

August 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I went with motherhood nursing bras as well. But I don't really grow until my milk comes in and then I go from a 36/38 d/c to a DD or EE. I agree about the no underwire thing. Good luck sweetie.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
LOL!! I wish no underwire was an option here. But can you imagine having some bulging H's without anything but elastic holding those suckers up?!?! Lol. Not a pretty picture. But thankfully, I never had any trouble still using underwire while nursing. No infections or pain. So it is all about the fit. Glad you got measured...that can help a ton. I do hear that Lane Bryant has nursing bras now, but have yet to check them out. I am gonna try to stick with the method I used last time, so we shall see if it works out good. Hope you find one you like!
August 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM
oooo.... I think Motherhood has bras on sale for around $25 as well! I will have to go there this weekend. Thanks!!!!

And yeah.... I tried an underwire bra from walmart about a month ago and ended up bleeding because they dug into my skin. Not a pretty thing.

I love new panties as well Lori! I wish we lived near each other... sigh.

August 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM
mom2moose
My answer? NONE!! Unless I leave my house, I go braless. Bras just hurt SO much. I'm one of those cheap girls though, so when I do buy a bra, it's at Walmart. I went from an A to a C so far. I think I'm just going to buy a sports bra for when my milk comes in though. I remember when it came in with Moose the pain was unbelievable. Underwire made it worse. I wrapped mine in Ace bandages and only took them off when I showered. I think a sports bra might work better.
August 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran
Victoria secret is notorious for sizing incorrectly. Please go in to be sized by a professional. I make bras for a living, and I can't tell you how important for your breast health a proper fitting bra is. There are non underwire iptions for larger cup sizes, but it will look like you grandmothers bra, super full coverage and many times not so pretty. Wearing the wrong size bra can cause premature scarring of breast tissue, and this is not good for you.

Also! If you are wearing a seamless padded bra, please reconsider!!! The foam padding in these types of bras are a known carcinogen. This foam us heating and cooling next to your lymph nodes, and off gassing as you body heats the padding.
Please research polyeurathane foam and cancer for more info.

Ok, off soap box.....but your boobs are important and I hate seeing such toxic products on the market......
August 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
That is all pretty insane information, Thanks! How do you know which bras are toxic and which aren't?

August 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran
If it is seamless and padded (80% of what is on the market) then it is bad for your boobs.....

:/
August 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^I read that as well. Even having big boobs like mine, I always buy seamed and non-padded (although they are thick-double lined ones). I never really thought a whole lot about it until my doctor told me that keeping heat next to your breasts is not healthy. And I found that I really was soooo much more comfortable when wearing bras that fit well (getting measured what HUGE!!) and conformed to my body shape. I even wear them to bed while pregnant because the weight hurts after a while. And I am perfectly comfortable in them. But I guess I am lucky in many ways that I find bras comfortable
August 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Motherhood Maternity has their bras buy 3, get one free. I love their sports bras for sleeping in.
August 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am in need of a new bra too, I think I'm up about 1/2 cup size though which sucks...my boobs come out the side of my C cups but the D cups are too big in the boob part Wish they made half sizes!! This bra looks incredibly comfy, but I wonder if it would hold my boobies up enough since they are so big...but I hope my local destination maternity has them in stock so I can try it on and see for myself!

JCPenney : Medela® Comfort Nursing Bra
August 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need to get some new bras too. I'm up from a B cup to spilling out of the C cups I bought a couple months ago (and the stretch marks under my boobs are horrible already ). I'm thinking about finding a sports bra- maybe I'll check Motherhood.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search