Do ultrasound pictures fade?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to scrapbook Scarlett's ultrasound pictures but was wondering if they fade... Is it better to laminate them first? Any ideas?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

August 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I have mine from DD in her baby book, they are over 4 years old now and look the same. I am not sure if they would fade over a longer time.

1/25/12

August 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure if they fade either, but I would think it's best to scan them onto your computer, then if they fade you could always replace them with a newly printed photo.
August 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The ones I have from DS and DD haven't faded at all. I agree with scanning them into the computer just in case. Whatever you do don't laminate them! The heat from the laminator will cause the images to disappear. We have a laminator at my school and I watched this happen to a coworker. I don't know if the same thing happens if you use those cold laminators, but I'm too afraid to try it.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

August 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Awesome, perfect ideas girls. Thanks!! Sometimes I forget we have cool technology now a days

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

August 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
My son's have not faded. It's still a good ideas to scan them.
August 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Courtney - I was in Michaels craft store the other day and I totally thought of you! I would dream to have as much paper as you do

August 7th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I've scrapped all my ultrasound pictures too. I'm going on 6 years for Cora's and they're still clear.

The ONLY time I had one fade was when it was on the fridge and in sunlight every day.

August 7th, 2011, 01:43 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
The better you protect them the longer they will last. However if they are printed on that thin paper over time they will fade. I don't really know if fade is the right word or not . I would scan them and then you can reprint them. Keep them out of sunlight and covered with protective sheets in your scrapbook. Most books come with protective sheets. How fun that you are scrapbooking her pictures. You will be so glad you did.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran
Don't laminate, if it's a heat laminator. The pictures are printed on thermal paper that will turn solid if you heat laminate them.
August 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We made photocopies of ours and then laminated them.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have the original u/s photos just in a phot book album, but I have them scanned into the computer and for Bella's baby book I printed off the scan and put it in there.
August 7th, 2011, 03:29 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I agree with scanning them, just in case something happens to the scrapbook or something weird happens.

As long as you use acid free paper and "glue" (whatever attachments you are planning on using) and will have the scrapbook closed most of the time, they should be perfectly fine.

My mom has sonogram pictures of my youngest brother in his baby book (she did not have sonograms with me and my middle brother) and they are still just as clear as the ones we have of our two sons. My youngest brother turned 20 in April, so the pics are almost 21 years old (they were from 12 weeks and 20-something weeks along). I imagine that not having the book handled a whole lot helped to preserve things.

Last edited by ashj_1218; August 7th, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
August 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
JesSsica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I laminated my dd's u/s pics. My heart sunk when they came through all black. =( Thankfully I had scanned them and the images were saved on my computer. I ended up printing out the pics and laminating the copies. I would've died if I hadn't scanned them onto my computer because I only had one scan that pregnancy.
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

^angel^ 10wks, 2 days, D&C 12wks, 3 days 11-2-09
^angel^ 5wks, 5 days 1-2-10
^angel^ 11wks, 1 day 5-22-10 with D&C
August 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The ultrasound pictures from my first daughter (1992) have not faded at all, and neither have the ones from my second daughter (first ultrasound with her was sometime in late 2002). Both times I just stored them in their baby books. However, I highly recommend scanning them into your computer and backing them up on at least one online photo storage site. Not to sound paranoid, but you never know when something could happen to your house that causes you to lose your precious pictures.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
August 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going through some stuff of mine the other day and I found my last sonogram from October in the last pregnancy, It was in a card board sleeve type thing that was tinted yellow and it did pick the color up from the dyes. I would be safe and scan them

With that being said I have Sara's framed and it is in perfect condition
August 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think they fade. My mom found mine recently and my bro's and sister's, which are 19 years old and 13 years old respectively. She says they all look the same still. My MIL showed me one of SIL who is 24 and other than being obviously kinda low tech like mine were, she said they weren't faded either.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Kira - that is so cool! Were you able to see them?

I lost my boys ultrasound pics and birth stuff in one of our moves years ago. It makes me sad.

August 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
sandiegomom's Avatar Super Mommy
nope...my daughters u/s pic(who is now 16 y.o) hasn't faded a bit, nor has my 12 year old daughters. however, i would back up on the computer, just in case!

Mommy to Ally-18 and Meagan-15
7/10/2011
8/16/2011
Oh..can't forget my furbabies, Maggie and Milo.

Make a pregnancy ticker

August 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Missy- Yup it was pretty trippy to see a tiny me in the pictures. SIL's picture was pretty fuzzy, but I could make out her head and chest.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search