Short term disability?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2011, 08:51 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone know if everyone qualifies for short term disability for 6 weeks after you have a baby? I work full time at a company and have for 1.5 years. I don't qualify for Family leave as the company has < 5 employees and I am in the top 10% anyway.

I was reading a post where someone is getting 6 weeks short term disability after their baby is born. Anyone know anything about this?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

August 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Well, if your company has less than 5 employees, it might not be offered to you either. I would check the policy. I know where DH works, the boss had to specifically get short-term disability for the woman he works with who had a baby three years ago. His company has 8 employees and because of the size, they don't get FMLA or short term disability unless the company purchases it for all the employees. People who have medical problems (not remotely related to pregnancy) are sometimes disqualified as well (DH is because of a previous back injury). If you can ask your boss, I would. Otherwise whoever deals with your health insurance (if you have it through the company) should be able to tell you whether you would qualify. Hopefully you do
August 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I was just readong that too. I actually signed up for STD and LTD at work and pay extra for it in my paycheck. It says I am eligible for 26 payments, which is a year now that I think about it (we get paid every two weeks). Unless they mean weekly payments. Even so, that's a lot of time off.

I haven't told anyone at work yet. I am waiting until either morning sickness kicks in and is impossible to hide or after my first ultrasound, whichever comes first. Then I can start asking about this.
August 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You have to have short term disability insurance through your work. I know that not all companies offer it and sometimes it's optional and you may not have chosen it. Paid maternity leave in the US is usually covered through short term disability insurance.

Usually the length of time paid depends on the illness/injury. So although the insurance may cover up to a year of absence, usually "having a baby" is only 6-8 weeks long (6 for vaginal delivery and 8 for a c-section).

I'm not sure if all companies are like this, but with mine I had to use 1 week of my own time off (either paid vacation or personal time) before it would kick in (so it really only gave me 5 weeks of paid time off for my son since I had to use a week of my own vacation). If I didn't have a week, then I would have to use whatever I had and forfeit pay for the remainder of that 1st week. This was the case regardless of how long I was going to be off (even if it was only two weeks total). I think that's to ensure that STD kicks in only for disability/injury/long term illness and not a simple cold.

Last edited by silverlife; August 17th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
August 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had short-term disability when Makenna was born. It was offered through my employer. In order to be eligible for maternity benifits, I had to sign up for short term disability BEFORE I got pregnant. Then, the coverage was only 2 weeks (10 days). In addition, because I was induced, I decided to take the day off before, so they reduced my benifits by 1 day and only paid me for 9. In the end, I thought the short tem disability insuranse was all a crock -- they promised one thing (when it was time to sign up) and then when you go to use it, there are MANY other restrictions. I also had to be out for 30 days before it would kick in. I had already panned to take 12 weeks and had more than 4 weeks of vacation time saved up, so it wasn't a problem for me. In addition, there is a cap to the amount of money they will give you (regardless of what you make).

August 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In NJ almost all employees are eligible for short term disability and long term disability (for bigger things) through the state. That is unless you're a teacher like me, and then you have to pay for your own private disability insurance.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

August 17th, 2011, 04:16 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have no idea how any of that works but hope that you are able to get something worked out through your work. Being military they give us 42 days for a vaginal delivery (6 weeks) paid time off and then we can take whatever leave (vacation) time we have on the books. I hope to add 20-30 days to my 42.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah... we don't have it I was hoping to stay home with Scarlett for more than 2 weeks. Oh well.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

August 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With such a small company would you be able to work something out with the owner where you went into the office a few days a week for a while before coming back full time?
August 18th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I also work for a small company (25 employees) and they don't offer STD but they are generous with paid maternity leave on their dime, which i am so grateful for. Can you talk to your boss about working from home or part time for a bit so you can spend a little more time with Scarlett?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search