Induction

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I know some people are pro induction and some are not. This would be a medical induction not a self induction.
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction?
Which side of the coin do you fall?
When would you opt for an induction over nature?
Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions?
Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction?
Anything else you want to share?

Just FYI when I say medical I mean go to the hospital and get cervidil, pitocen, oxytocin stuff like that.
Self induction would be DTD, nipples stimulation, drinking castor oil etc.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
mom2moose
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? Yes ma'am!!

Which side of the coin do you fall? I'm all for it. Like you said, it's for medical purposes, not so you can pick the birthdate or you want to go on vacation.

When would you opt for an induction over nature? Anytime. LOL I may have to get one because baby is looking to be ginormous and I'm measuring so far ahead. I'll hopefully find out tomorrow.

Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? I'm not actually sure on this. I know my OB personally doesn't like moms to go over 40 weeks (apparently, she lost a mom and baby at 41 weeks due to infection and something about the placenta drying up.) So she likes to deliver at 40, but won't force anyone too.

Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? A little. But I feel you have a chance of a C-section always. And with Moose, I wasn't induced and still almost had to have a C-section because her heartrate kept dropping. Then stopped completely. But there was no time for a c-section.

Anything else you want to share? I trust my doctor and I trust my hospital. I don't feel they would suggest something that was at all harmful to me or my baby. I think inductions for the sake of picking a date or just because you don't want to be pregnant are stupid, obviously. But sometimes, moms need help with the whole L&d process and there should be no shame in that!!
August 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? Yep. And natural methods haven't ever worked for me.
Which side of the coin do you fall? I'm looking at induction #4 on Saturday...so....
When would you opt for an induction over nature? 38 weeks for Erin, 39 1/2 for Patrick, 39 for this one
Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? I'm not sure about truly "elective" inductions (as in, it's just more convenient to deliver on x day because I have something to do the next week). I do know that they don't like to deliver prior to 39 weeks unless there's a health issue.
Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? Not really any more than the risk of csection just from labor. I'm looking at 3 inductions w/ 3 vaginal deliveries, so so far my experience has been good.
Anything else you want to share? Um...nope.

August 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? yes
Which side of the coin do you fall? I hope to never need induction, but would never condemn someone for going that route.
When would you opt for an induction over nature? Going overdue.
Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? Since i see a midwife practice, They only do overdue inductions at the hospital. They try natural inductions before anything.
Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? I don't know anything about it really.
Anything else you want to share? not really.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I have no idea what self induction is, so I guess not.

Natural because I have a huge fear of c-section.

If the baby's life was in danger

I have no idea.

Definitely

The male platypus is poisonous

Last edited by Shadeauxe; August 22nd, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
August 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Which side of the coin do you fall? Im all for it, medically speaking.

When would you opt for an induction over nature? At my age, anything over 38wks, due to risk of placenta failure and higher risk of stillbirth with AMA.

Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? 39wks is the standard if baby is showing signs of being ready, such as cervix is soft and ready and contractions are starting.

Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? At my age, I will take the risk of c-section over stillbirth.

Anything else you want to share? Mia was my only induction, and it was awesome! I did bleed heavily during labor, that they could not find a reason for..that was scary, but other than that, the birth was perfect!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

August 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? yes, I know the difference
Which side of the coin do you fall? I would only try either type of induction if there was a TRUE medical need such as pre-eclampsia. To me any other reason is not good enough.

When would you opt for an induction over nature? pre-eclampsia or maybe IUGR (which isn't an issue for me), really that is about it. I personally don't believe in any elective inductions, such as for baby's size, GD, going 'post dates', etc.

Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? I don't know. I won't see an OB until 34 weeks. As far as I can tell they don't do any inductions until 39 weeks unless there is a true medical need.

Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? Absolutely!
Anything else you want to share? Cytotec is dangerous and can cause uterine rupture in an unscarred uterus. If a doctor wants to use it on you...run away as fast as you can!
I also have limited options for induction because I have a previous c-section and since all induction agents can cause hyper-stimulation of the uterus it puts me at increased risk of UR.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? yes
Which side of the coin do you fall? anything that is medically necessary
When would you opt for an induction over nature? when me or baby's health was in danger
Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? only overdue
Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? with my son, yes I was worried about that which is why I didn't push for an early induction but my dr wouldn't have done it anyways. I ended up with a c/s despite going into labor and my water breaking on it's own, so this time is a c/s again after much contemplation.
August 22nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep

Since I'm planning a home birth, you can see that I'm not desiring an induction. I'm o.k. with other people getting inductions for real medical reasons.

In my case, only if I was really overdue and baby was showing signs of true distress

I use home birth midwives, so they don't do inductions. If I were overdue, they would eventually refer me to their back-up OB for evaluation.

Yes

Not really

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
August 23rd, 2011, 12:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes

Which side of the coin do you fall? I am not 100% against induction but I really really do not want pitocin this time, I'd rather opt for a more natural induction (stripping or something)

When would you opt for an induction over nature? Overdue, Fluid level concern, size (if I am told at 35 weeks i am measuring 40 I might be concerned)

Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? Yes, I was given the choice at my first appt. We opted to let nature take course but personal situations may alter our decision

Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? No
August 23rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? Yup.

Which side of the coin do you fall? I'm for it when necessary.

When would you opt for an induction over nature? only if needed. With DD my water broke, but I never progressed so they used Cervidil and the her heartrate started to decline so they started pitocin.

Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? only overdue or medically necessary ones.

Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? Nope, if it wasn't for the Pitocin I probably would have needed a C-section.

Anything else you want to share? nope...but I would like to say that I never knew that the male platypus was poisonous, thanks for that tidbit Courtney!

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

August 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? Yes, I certainly do
Which side of the coin do you fall? I would do anything in my power to have a natural childbirth, so I would be more self-induction methods (although not unnatural ones like castor oil) than medical ones. I would try sex, nipple stimulation, walking before submitting to a medical induction
When would you opt for an induction over nature? When? Prolly past 42 weeks if the baby was showing signs of distress or being truly post-term (aka: placental breakdown)
Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? Both, I believe. They will induce at 39 weeks for a myriad of reasons. I had to ask to be allowed to go beyond 40 weeks, as they tend to schedule inductions at that point as well.
Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? Absolutely...since it is scientifically proven more likely.
Anything else you want to share? I am pretty strong in my birthing opinions If you couldn't tell. I don't look down on folks who have inductions if that is what is right for them and their family. But I have to say, it is frustrating when people don't know anything about inductions and are jumping in with both feet at 38 weeks, never having any idea about the risks or benefits. I do understand it for other reasons though.
August 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Thanks for sharing ladies .
Do you know the difference between medical induction and self induction? Yes
Which side of the coin do you fall? To each his own. I have been on both sides and found good and bad to both.
When would you opt for an induction over nature? Once I am past 40 weeks I will consider induction or if something is wrong like with my first baby. She was in trouble, I was in labor but needed help to save her so we opted for pitocen. I will never regret that.
Does your dr office do elective inductions or only overdue inductions? My dr will consider induction at 39 weeks if you are showing signs of being in prelabor but not before. He will not allow moms to go past 41.5 weeks so if I make it to my 40 week appointment they will schedule me then.
Do you worry about the increased risk of a c section if you get an induction? Yes and no, I have had good luck with pitocen so I don't worry for me but I do know there is an increased risk when you push your body before its ready.
Anything else you want to share? Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Its nice to see.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search