Birth photography

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2011, 06:33 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can actually hire a photographer to come and take pictures of the whole birth. A lady in my DDC recently posted a picture (which granted was a great pic) from a photog's website and it blew my mind. I didn't even know there were photographer's that specialize in this!

But, I would NEVER do it!! I can't image a person I don't know being in the room during a very personal time for me, just snapping away! Some of the pictures are very nice, but some of them are just NOT the ones I'd want lol

Did you know this existed?!?

Would you consider it?

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

August 24th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Definitely not. It's bad enough that the doctors and nurses have to gaze upon body parts of mine that I generally try to hide. A person with a camera would make me crazy.
August 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedaysoon View Post
You can actually hire a photographer to come and take pictures of the whole birth. A lady in my DDC recently posted a picture (which granted was a great pic) from a photog's website and it blew my mind. I didn't even know there were photographer's that specialize in this!

But, I would NEVER do it!! I can't image a person I don't know being in the room during a very personal time for me, just snapping away! Some of the pictures are very nice, but some of them are just NOT the ones I'd want lol

Did you know this existed?!?

Would you consider it?
I'm actually a photographer and I never knew about it until recently. My best friend is due in November and asked me to do hers... I said yes because it's my best friend but I'm not sure it's something I would want to do on a regular basis or ever for someone I don't know.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

August 24th, 2011, 07:34 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I haven't heard of this and would not do it. I agree with Courtney, I would like those parts seen as little as possible,lol.

1/25/12

August 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
mom2moose
It was a pretty cool pic Charlene, but I also have no interest in it. I didn't know these type of photogs existed either.

For me, it's not a shy thing. I could care less who sees my vag, really. I know when I was in labor for Moose, I was like "Bring the whole gang in." LOL At that point, you're tired and a little loopy and excited, you just don't think clearly. But just because I don't care really who sees my girl bits, does NOT mean I want permanent pictured of it all!!! Not down there!! Everything is swollen and bleeding and if you're an unlucky one, it might be cut, etc. Yuck!! *shivers* I want no part of that.

I do think it would be nice to have a pro there for like the cuddling baby portion of the show though. But my mom takes lovely pics and that's good enough for me. LOL
August 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I didn't know about it but agree I wouldn't have it done.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM
From the pictures I've seen you don't take pictures down there. Lol I for one will not be. I'm going to take pictures of them "waiting" to meet the baby, then during the actual birth I will be on the side taking photos and of course all the after cuddling

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

My blog

August 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM
babyandbriana's Avatar Veteran
I'm gonna go on ahead and offer a little bit of a different perspective.

I'm a single mum. I'm going through this pregnancy with my mum and my midwife. My dad's supportive (but I'm not going to force him to be in the room if he doesn't want to be! We've not really discussed that part lol!) and I've got some REALLY good BTDT single mum girlfriends who are going to visit a LOT while I'm at hospital. That being said, there's a very REAL possibility that I may meet someone someday who becomes a permanent part of my child's life. I'm considering birth photography for two reasons. One, in case my child's step-father wants to feel as though we saved a part of the process for him to be part of, and TWO the most important one for me, so I can show my child in any case that we were ALL SOOOOO excited for them to be here. I'm quite worried that growing up with the weirdness between the baby's bio-dad and I might be a little traumatizing. I want this baby to know that he or she was loved from the start, and is a valued and important member of MY family.

I'm making a maternity scrapbook, I'd like to make a birth scrapbook, and I'd like to make a "baby book" style scrapbook. That way, Baby Bug can turn to them when he/she has questions. And know that they are loved.

That's my

Thanks to tasha_mae for my BEAUTIFUL siggie!
August 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Bri forgot to mention that she's not too shabby with a camera herself (*understatement*), and offered to do it for me (when we were thinking she could come down). I was actually kind of excited about the idea, really only because it was her. She knows me really well and knows my modesty level. I agree with Katie, most birth photography I've seen isn't graphic shots of girly bits, and mine wouldn't have been AT ALL, but I was only considering it because I know Bri so well and trust her like I do.

I agree with Jenny, though, actually during labor all your sense of modesty kind of goes out the window. But it comes back and just because I wouldn't necessarily mind during the process, doesn't mean I wouldn't be embarrassed after the fact.

August 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hadn't heard of it til recently but I know someone who wants to do that kind of photography exclusively. It's not the type of shots you think (no crotch shots) so it isn't too bad but definitly not something I'd want. Not to mention it is pricey since they have to pretty much be on call those last couple weeks of your pregnancy. I think the lady I know said she does it for $1000...yikes! not in my budget lol
August 24th, 2011, 04:23 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would like to get this done but really we can't afford it :/

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Aww if you lived closer I would do it for free for you I hate that people charge an arm and a leg for photography. I want people to be able to get quality prints without breaking the bank.

My blog

August 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^Some people think they're worth that arm and a leg, but that's their opinion. I agree, I'd love for professional photography to not be so expensive. The problem with that is, some photographers rely on their craft completely for income, as in they don't have another job. That's why it gets so pricey.

I think this kind of photography is pretty cool though. I'm a photographer as well. I'd only ever do this for close friends/family. lol I don't do a lot of people as it is.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

August 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaby View Post
^Some people think they're worth that arm and a leg, but that's their opinion. I agree, I'd love for professional photography to not be so expensive. The problem with that is, some photographers rely on their craft completely for income, as in they don't have another job. That's why it gets so pricey.

I think this kind of photography is pretty cool though. I'm a photographer as well. I'd only ever do this for close friends/family. lol I don't do a lot of people as it is.
Lol I agree. There are some really talented people out there that do deserve more but some people are in it to get rich. I do it because I love it and it's pretty cool to go to someone's home and see something you took framed on their wall I eventually want to do it full time as my source of income but even then I don't plan to charge that much.

I think it's neat and I think it would be an awesome way to be able to look back on the day, however there are so many unexpected events that can/do happen that I'm not sure I could handle it.

My blog

August 24th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This must be the topic of the week- it's been discussed in my DDC in two different places, in the Home Birth forum, and now here.

I'm considering it. My modesty goes out the window when I'm in labor, although I'd definitely want the photographer to be a woman. I'm thinking about asking a friend who is a photographer, although I'm not sure it would work with her schedule to come at any hour of the day. I wouldn't want any lady bit shots, just documentation of the labor and the moments immediately following delivery.
This is the video posted in the Home Birth forum that got me interested in the idea of hiring a professional:
Home Water Birth of Maximus William by Earth Mama Photography - YouTube

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
August 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i knew you could have this done, but hell no i wouldn't want to have some nut in there taken pictures.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search