Facebook Game

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Someone in my DDC posted this link and i wanted to share it here. I'm sure many of you saw the Facebook game where people hint that they are pregnant to somehow promote awareness of Breast Cancer (um how exactly?). It bothered me everytime i saw it, knowing how many of my friends are struggling through infertility and pregnancy loss, and haivng suffered through both myself. This blogger really his the nail on the head. Your thoughts?

C.G. Ward Photography: Regarding the facebook "Breast Cancer Awareness Games"

September 3rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I really like her blog post and agree with many of the things she said. I wish people weren't so stupid.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I saw that and agree with the blogger. It's funny because out of all my FB friends, only one has actually participated in the game, and she's a friend who actually is pregnant and went through 2-3 years of infertility and a miscarriage. I didn't say anything to her about it.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
September 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
The thing that gets me with this...and with the bra thing (was that last year? the year before?) I got messages saying "it's time to confuse the men again!" a few days before I got the one connecting it to breast cancer awareness. It's like the breast cancer thing was an afterthought.

It really bugs me when people post "awareness" things on facebook that don't actually do anything. If you're going to support a cause, why not do it in a useful manner?

Last edited by Brittanie; September 3rd, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
September 4th, 2011, 07:16 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
The thing that gets me with this...and with the bra thing (was that last year? the year before?) I got messages saying "it's time to confuse the men again!" a few days before I got the one connecting it to breast cancer awareness. It's like the breast cancer thing was an afterthought.

It really bugs me when people post "awareness" things on facebook that don't actually do anything. If you're going to support a cause, why not do it in a useful manner?
I find this game very hurtful. I posted the link to this woman's blog on Facebook a few days ago and got chewed out by one of my friends. I don't care. It's not harmless fun, and it surely doesn't raise breast cancer awareness when it's spun to "confuse the men" and says nothing about breast cancer. The people who haven't gotten the email have no idea what they're talking about. I HATE this game!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
I posted it on my FB and got a lot of "likes" but two of my DDC members posted the same and got some real nastiness about it. I don't understand the resistance to understand where people are coming from when asking for a little sensitivity (or common sense?)

September 4th, 2011, 01:13 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I posted twice about this now. I'm sorry but I just don't "get it". How is this funny or promoting breast cancer? People's stupidity just gets to me sometimes.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

September 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
NICU Nurse
Most people don't realize that 5% of breast cancer victims are MEN, and that many women who go through chemo for breast cancer end up being sterile and unable to have children. So using pregnancy as a joke not only sucks for people who have had infertility/loss but also for any man with breast cancer or any man who has a women he cares about who has cancer.

September 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really didn't like this game and I didn't play it. Also I WAS 6 weeks pregnant and if people asked if it was real, was I supposed to lie? I certainly didnt want anyone on facebook knowing about the pregnancy yet. Super weird and had NOTHING to do with cancer.

Avery. 4/11
September 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I refuse to play this one. I have many friends who suffer from infertility (both JM and IRL). A few of my friends on FB have spoken out about the idiocy of this game and I commend them for it.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

September 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
babyandbriana's Avatar Veteran
So... here's a flipside question... I HATE this game. I think it's stupid... But I'm ready to announce my pregnancy. I live in a smallish town, and a LOT of people know already. So why the heck not. (Not gonna lie, I'm scared witless... but that's another post.)

I'm really tempted to post my status as "I'm ten weeks and it doesn't matter what I'm craving... I can't keep it down!" or something to that effect.

Funny? Or tasteless?

My pregnancy is kind of an awkward one, and I'd really like people to know I'm not ashamed of this baby, that I'm HAPPY to be pregnant, and that it's a fun thing for me. I don't want my lack of announcement to read as shame or embarrassment.

So... whaddya think?

Thanks to tasha_mae for my BEAUTIFUL siggie!
September 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedaysoon View Post
I refuse to play this one. I have many friends who suffer from infertility (both JM and IRL). A few of my friends on FB have spoken out about the idiocy of this game and I commend them for it.
I wish I'd have spoken out and i think i will if i see any more. Luckily it seems to have died down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyandbriana View Post
So... here's a flipside question... I HATE this game. I think it's stupid... But I'm ready to announce my pregnancy. I live in a smallish town, and a LOT of people know already. So why the heck not. (Not gonna lie, I'm scared witless... but that's another post.)

I'm really tempted to post my status as "I'm ten weeks and it doesn't matter what I'm craving... I can't keep it down!" or something to that effect.

Funny? Or tasteless?

My pregnancy is kind of an awkward one, and I'd really like people to know I'm not ashamed of this baby, that I'm HAPPY to be pregnant, and that it's a fun thing for me. I don't want my lack of announcement to read as shame or embarrassment.

So... whaddya think?
Not really sure what I would do here. I think i'd probably pick another way of sharing first so it doesn't get confused and second because the game clearly does many people. Not sure why the pregnancy is awkward but that might play into your decision to be more playful with the announcement

September 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM
babyandbriana's Avatar Veteran
Yeah I announced it another way

But the reason the pregnancy is awkward DOES play into why I wanted to be humorous about it. I'll probably post a LOOOONG in depth post about that in the private forum.. when I'm ready.

But... the announcement went well. And I don't THINK I offended anyone.

Thanks to tasha_mae for my BEAUTIFUL siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search