Where were you?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
What were you doing 10 years ago today?
Did you realize that today is the 10 year anniversary of 9/11?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
It was my first day of college, I didn't have any classes that morning so when my Mom called and told me to turn on the TV, I didn't have a clue what was going on. I turned on the Today show and watched as the second plane hit. One of my hall mates was from New York , it took her over 24 hours to get in touch with her family to find out they were ok. We spent the next days in shock. One of the things that I remembered most was that there were no planes in the air for days. I live near a major airport and we always see planes it was so strange for there not to be any.

September 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When the first tower was hit I was at the police station in my town (with DH), getting my fingerprints taken so that I could start my teaching job the next week. The officers that were there had Good Morning America on, and when the first plane hit they were making fun of the "amateur pilot" that couldn't see a big building in front of him. One of the detectives picked up the phone and pretended he was talking to the mayor of New York. He said, "Hello Detective Perkins, can you come up here and help us clean up this moron's mess and help beat some sense into him?" At the time we thought it was just an accident. (On a side note the detective did wind up going up to NY to help with rescue and recovery efforts. I bet he'll never forget his initial reaction.) DH and I left and went back to our apartment down the street to watch the rest of the story. We sat in disbelief as the second tower was hit and knew instantly that it wasn't a fluke or an accident anymore. Our eyes were glued to the TV until we had to go to work (at Best Buy) later that afternoon. It was a surreal day. People meandered into the store just to be near people and to watch the aftermath on the big screens in the back of the store. I definitely realized today was the 10th anniversary. I've been watching 9/11 shows all week, and that's the only thing that has been on my TV all day. I've been a blubbering mess.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

September 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was in 7th grade. I was leaving my Science class when a friend had told me "we are under attack." I was confused, had no idea what she was talking about and needed to get to my next class, Language Arts. My LA teachers son worked at the pentagon, so she was a mess. We watched CNN all day at school and the next day they talked to us about what happened.

September 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Melanie0507's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was taking my son to preschool when I heard on the radio that the first plane had hit. I still remember exactly where I was on the road. I dropped him off and went to work and we hooked up an old black and white tv to watch the news all day.
Owen 5/17/09 (Born with Hirschsprung's Disease)
And expecting our newest addition 5/7/12

September 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I was in 8th grade Math class. My teacher turned on the TV in the classroom and we all just watched in silence. I actually knew the pilot of the plane that hit the second tower, I used to own a horse and the pilot also had a hay company which delivered to my barn, its a small world.

1/25/12

September 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was in my ged class, i was pregnant with my now 9 yr old dd. was a very scary day for everyone we had to go on lock down and spend the rest of day in the day care room with the kids. I had no clue today was the 10th yr, i should have but it never even dawn on me.

September 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I remember it extremely well. I was 15. I headed in from doing my morning chores before going to school when a neighbor called and told me to turn on the news and ask me how my Dad was. I turned on the TV right when the second plane hit. I was home alone and devastated. My Dad had flown the day before...thank goodness to Seattle, to be with my Mom to drive home with her. I automatically called my Mom and Dad to tell them. We pretty much watched the news all day in school.

It is still hard on me because I was alone for 3 days after as well, until my parents got home. My parents called me about 15 times per day to make sure I was okay.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What were you doing 10 years ago today? I was at work. Right about 9am, one of our phone systems went down. Working in IT, it was our job to communicate and get it back up. It was so hard to keep everyone on task. It wasn't until much later in the day that I really learned the impact of the event. We didn't have TVs where we worked and the news internet sites were jammed up. We were getting very sketchy information. When I heard the 1st tower fell, I remember saying something like -- you can't believe everything you hear. There were SO many inaccurate reports that came out early. Unfortunately, that wasn't one of them.
Did you realize that today is the 10 year anniversary of 9/11? Yep -- definitely. My niece is traveling through DC on an airplane today. We were very nervous for her.

September 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I was in high school in child development. We didn't have the kids that day so we were having a lazy day and just cleaning the rooms. We had the news on and we watched it all in horror. I will forever remember that day. Today so far I'm feeling relief that nothing has happened. We live very close to an army depot and they are on high alert from a "credible threat". I did not have anyone affected directly to that day but have lost many friends/family due to the war.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

September 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was in grad school and was in my stats class when the planes hit the towers, so I didn't hear about it until I got back to my lab after class. When I got back to the lab, one of my friends was listening to the news on the radio, and she told me that the towers had been hit by planes and were on fire. Once the first tower collapsed, I was too upset and distracted to get anything done in the lab, so I went home and watched the events unfold on TV.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
September 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was on an airplane, flying from NYC to Nashville for business. We took off minutes before the first tower was struck, less than 15 miles away, and landed as the first tower was falling.

The day was completely surreal for me, being a New Yorker, but away from family and friends, and unable to reach anyone on phone. The worst part is I'd been on the road all month, both in Boston and DC, and my mother, confused by the news and my location, was convinced I'd been on a flight from Boston to NY and thought it was my flight that crashed. When i finally reached my brother in San Francisco, he was hysterical. I couldn't reach my husband until 3pm that afternoon and although he was in midtown, I was just terrified. We drove back from Nashville the morning of September 12th. We got back to NYC at around midnight and I will never forget driving up the turnpike and seeing the devestated skyline for the first time.

Many friends were in lower manhattan that day, and we spent weeks recounting the horror as they healed from cuts and bruises, smoke inhalation, panic attacks, and worst of all, the loss of love ones. I was fortunate not to have any close friends/family killed that day but the on again/off again girlfriend of one of my closer friends was killed that day. We'd had drinks together only two weeks before.

In 2005 my company relocated from mid town to lower manhattan and I take the train into the world trade center path station three days a week. I remember the first time i took the path into the pit that used to house the towers and feeling like we were riding through a tomb. It's now been closed off (the underground part) but every morning, as I walk around the construction site and whine about the fact that the subway station is closed until 2014 (making an irritating long walk for me each morning) I try to take a minute to think about all the lives lost that day. Makes my walk, or anything else for that matter, pale in comparison.

September 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was at work. My co-worker walked in and told me about the first plane. I spent the morning looking at my favorite message boards for updates. Online news was down most of the day.

We were contractors for the Navy and we got sent home after the second plane and the Pentago for security reasons. We were off for a few days because they wouldn't let us back in.

I spent the rest of the day at home, glued to the TV and crying.
It was so strange not seeing airplanes in the sky.

I also remember that, at some point, they were talking about putting towels under your doors in case of a bio attack. I don't think I did it but I was living alone and freaked out.

The thing that really freaked me out in retrospect was that I was in Chicago until the 10th landed around midnight. I was in the air hours before it all went down. My family didn't know what flight I was on or when I was flying back. They called me first thing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search