New here - saying HI and question re: ultrasound

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Super Mommy
Hi everyone.

I am new to this particular board - just got my BFP 2 days ago and my due date is going to be June 4th.

I had two losses 10 years ago in between my pregnancies with my daughters. One was 9 weeks and one was 6.

My health care situation is totally different now and in order to get an early ultrasound, I will have to go to an imaging place (not trough a doctor, it's a place where they do different types of x-ray, mri, ultrasound, etc). It is only $75 to do the ultrasound. But here's my question - has anyone done anything similar and if so, how does it work? I mean, do they know what they are looking at, do they know how to make sure everything looks ok and do they tell you if it is or isn't? I will not have a doctor for them to send the results to because I will not be able to get set up with my doctor for another 30-45 days from now.

Also, when is the best time to do this? I would like to wait until it is possible to see the heartbeat.

Thanks for any input!!!
September 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and Congratulations on your BFP. I'm so sorry about your losses. I've never had an u/s done anywhere besides my doctor's office so I'm no help with your question. I do believe that the heart starts to beat around 6 weeks so I would definitely wait until after that to do the ultrasound. So glad your joining us.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 22nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you for your input!

I forgot to mention that with one of my losses....I went in at 9 weeks for my first appoitment (had been soooooo sick), Dr. measured me and I measured 12 weeks so she did an u/s. Saw it was TRIPLETS, but all of them had died within a few days - no symptoms of m/c at all. I never bled. I had all my symptoms. We waited a week to do the D&C because we were in denial. I never bled and I continued vomiting until they wheeled me into surgery.

So, that is why I need an ultrasound. Without it, I could have died...(and now I have no insurance, woohoo!)
September 22nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your bfp! And I'm sorry for your losses. You can see a hb around 6 weeks, but, if you are going to stress if you don't see one, wait a week. When you go to an imaging place, many times they have nurses and U/S techs do them, but, they cannot diagnose or read what they see. If they have someone there to read the U/S, you may get info. If not, you're just going to get images.
But, for those of us who have experienced losses, we just need to see that everything is OK.
I'll send sticky dust and healthy baby prayers your way. KUP

September 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and congrats! I don't know about the u/s, I've always had them through my dr's office. However I did pay for a gender u/s and that place was very clear on their website that they do NOT do any medical diagnostic ultrasounds meaning they don't measure anything or the heartbeat at all. I'd call first to be sure the place you go to will do what you want.
September 23rd, 2011, 07:41 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never been to an external place for an ultrasound but from what I have heard early on they will ask you for your doctor and if you have been seen by one yet. They do not do any kind of determination of anything except gender. It is more of a "show and tell" place vs. medical diagnosis.

If you are concerned I say go to the Emergency room. They will more than likely do an ultrasound and the doctors there tell you what is going on - good or bad.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

September 24th, 2011, 04:40 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Welcome. So sorry for your losses. I have only done u/s through the dr but agree with Missy that the ER might be a good option. Calling the place to ensure they can tell you what you need to know is another great option. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 24th, 2011, 04:52 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are in a larger city, they have clinics (the one in my town is an anti-abortion clinic) that offers completely free U/Ss...I got one with the one we lost (when the heart was still beating) and they preach the anti-abortion angle (obviously I had absolutely no plans of getting an abortion so they were very happy with me)...but, I was able to get like 10 pictures (which i still value) and they measured the baby and gave me what the heartbeat was as well...

I think you can only do that once, but it would save you some money if you have one in your town...

For me, we lost the baby at 9 weeks, so, I'm going in at 6 weeks (to make sure the pregnancy is viable) and then I'm going at 9 1/2 weeks (to my DR) to make sure that the heart is still beating...after that point, the baby usually is going to make it...
September 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Super Mommy
Yes, we have one of those here - I wans't sure if they would do the u/s unless you ARE thinking about having an abortion...
I think I am going to go there at 7 weeks or so when we can probably see the hb.
September 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Hello and welcome! I'm not sure about the ultrasound but I wanted to wish you luck and please KUP!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

September 26th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search