Anyone ever have Jury Duty?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2011, 03:00 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have jury duty on Monday... what can I expect?

In a way I am looking forward to it. I am picturing being in an SVU episode.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 1st, 2011, 06:14 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did a few years ago. I spent 2 days sitting in the holding room and then was dismissed, because they had already gotten enough people on the jury. Bring a lot of things to do!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

October 1st, 2011, 06:22 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I got out of mine when I was 18 and have never been called back yet. If I actually made it to trial I think it would be kind of cool. Let us know how it is!

1/25/12

October 1st, 2011, 08:13 AM
mom2moose
I had it when I was pregnant with Moose. I actually liked it other than I had ms. For our county, you're on the jury duty sheet for a month because our county is so little. I got on a jury the last week. It was a sexual assault case. A 42 year old had sex with his 15 year old cousin. It was interesting to see how the whole thing worked. Also, I got paid pretty well for it. I also had no problem finding the jerk guilty!! Another dirtbag off the streets. LOL

My suggestion would be to bring a book or magazine though because there's a lot of downtime while sitting around. (Most courthouses won't let you have a newspaper though.) Have fun!!
October 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I actually served on 2 juries (2 different rounds of jury duty about 5 years apart)...one for a stat rape trial & the other for a 1st degree murder case.

Definitely bring a book or something to do while you wait to see if you're selected for voir dire (the actually jury selection process). Not sure how things run in your area...my jury duty was back when i lived in VA...but basically all the potential jurors sit in a big room (there were probably 100 of us?) and we had a group # assigned (A,B, C, etc). Prior to showing up we had to fill out a juror questionaire (which is given to the legal teams involved prior to trial day)

They'd come in and ask for Groups A&B, and everyone in those groups then went into one of the courtrooms (ours had max of 4 potential trials happening simultaneously)...then in the courtroom they'd randomly select 20 or so people from the jury pool, and begin voir dire questioning. As people were eliminated from that questioning process they called additional people up (again randomly) until they were able to finish the questioning process. From the group that made it through the questioning process, then both sides get to strike some of the potential jurors and the group that was left was selected for the trial.

And if there's more than 1 trial happening that day, you might go through multiple jury selections (i went through 3-4 total i think when i did mine, struck from most) but some days (prior to being selected as a juror) I sat for 4 hours b/c my group wasn't called up and so you just wait...so bring a book or something.

And fair warning, in the courthouse i was in you weren't allowed to use a cell phone even when sitting in the juror assembly room.

Good luck, hope everything goes great! If you would have a problem sitting for a long period of time without interruption (being pregnant ) definitely raise that when they ask if you have any reason that could keep you from being able to attend/complete the trial.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
October 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Never had it. Good luck.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search