Back From Appt - Weird Mix of Good & Bad News (x-posted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2011, 05:58 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
My mid wive told me that since I weaned Madison and got pregnant the next month it could have something to do with it and my PCOS with not being able to regulate hormones.... but now we know I have MTHFR and it was the cause. But she said it is very very low chance.
I have many friends who get pregnant while BF and even BF all the way after new baby is born and tandom feed.

I hope that being a heartbeat helps give you some hope to cling to.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
October 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
So I went in for the accelerated u/s I badgered my OB's office into giving me (with the hope I'd get some answers on whether this pregnancy was viable). And the whole thing has actually left me more confused...

Good News 1st: THERE'S A HB!!! Very slow (70s) but consistent with the measurement they took (see bad news...)

Bad News: The 2nd quants came back...my HcG level in 48 hours went from ~3500 to ~3700 and the measurement on the baby was 6wks...and I think i'm 7wk (based on + OPK).

So basically there's still one tiny scenario to cling to hope wise, which is that it was a twin loss...the Phys Asst (didn't see the OB) said that throws off the quant pulls and *could* explain why the levels don't seem to be going up much but we have a hb. More likely, it's a m/c still waiting to happen though and they're bringing me in on Tue for a 2nd u/s.

The one part of the appt that upset me was that (in discussing symptoms) I mentioned that I was BF when we conceived and the Phys Asst told me that I should have NEVER tried to get pregnant while BF and that it greatly increased my risk for m/c. I knew that continuing to BF (which I didn't; I weaned her immediately) could be risky for certain women in high risk scenarios (which i wasn't) but she made me feel like I basically sentenced my baby to death b/c we conceived it while still BF. It does (apparently) explain potentially why my progesterone result is so low, although she did say that could still just be an impending m/c symptom.

On the progesterone front, Phys Asst will talk to my OB because my situation is so "unusual" to see if she wants to prescribe...Phys Asst doubted she would but said she would call me if OB did decide to prescribe a supplement.

I don't know how to feel right now...I want to cling to the hope b/c we saw the hb but it's tough when the Dr's office definitely seems to be prepping me for dealing with another loss.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
October 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Sorry for the stress you're going through. Don't let someone bully you into thinking anything is your fault. I haven't heard of BF causing miscarriage.
October 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope by some miracle baby holds on and defies the odds. I'm sorry the PA made you feel bad. I don't think she really knows what she's talking about.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
October 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy

And there's still hope so hang on to that! It could just be a slow grower or you could have O'd later than you thought... Yay for a heartbeat right?!!! And if you really are 6 weeks then it's not all that low...

Don't let anything they said make you feel bad about what you did... You did NOTHING wrong!

Do you have another appointment?Duh, scratch that I just realized that you answered this in your OP. Will definitely be thinking of you and praying for you on and before Tuesday! My prayer are definitely with you and your little bean...

Last edited by BeckyBozeman; October 6th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
October 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
A HB is great news. I was told several times to expect to miscarry in the beginning, keep hanging on to that hope and we will all pray for you!

1/25/12

October 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never heard of BF causing m/c. I had a friend that got pg while still BF and everything was ok. On another note YAY you still BF? That's awesome, I thought you stopped when you got so sick, so long ago.....Sorry for the side note.
Stay positive, there was a h/b stay focus on that. I'm here for you, you know that.

October 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never heard of BF causing miscarriages. There are lots of JM mommies that are pregnant and some continue to BF throughout their whole pregnancies.

You could have implanted later than usual which could be causing the slow HB. I am sure that Tuesday can't come fast enough for you. ((hugs))

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
BFing does not cause M/Cs...M/Cs happen, and they suck, but it is horrible that they would say that to you...I know a number of ladies on here who B/F and are pregnant...please dont ever feel like you did anything wrong here, you did not!

As for the heartbeat, it is very low...am hoping with all my might that your miracle bean pulls through and you get a wonderful surprise on Tuesday!
October 6th, 2011, 08:31 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have looked into this because the question came up on another board. The only time BF can cause or lead to a m/c is if you are at risk for uterine irritability. BF causes the uterus to contract and some women are prone to preterm labor and uterine irritability. Otherwise BF can not cause a loss. And even then it's rare. So if you have no risk for preterm labor most likely you are not at risk to m/c due to BF. Stupid dr. I had a nurse tell me it was my fault that DD#1 was getting ear infections because I wasn't BF. Some medical people are so stupid.

I am happy that you had a heartbeat. Sorry you are still so worried. Many prayers that you get better news on Tuesday.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Lara - Hugs Sweetie!! I hope your little fighter bean hanges in there. I will be thinking about your and your little one and praying for good news on Tuesday.

I think that PA is a little crazy about the BF causing MC.... I was still BF Cecil when I got preggo with Asher.... I didn't know I was PG for the first 2 1/2 months and continued to BF for a while after I got preggo until about 4 1/2 months when the nipple pain became too bad.

Hugs again....
October 7th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Breast feeding DOES NOT cause miscarriage. Grrrrr!!!! Even the irritable uterus thing is debatable. I had a nurse tell me it was my fault I was m/cing because I didn't wait long enough after the first one. Some people shouldn't be allowed to talk to other people.

Anyway - lots of positive thoughts and prayers for you and your bean!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search