General question regarding meds during 1st trimester

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Ok, so it was realized a while back by my doctor that I suffered from low progesterone (which caused a weak ovulation). So I got pregnant with soy this time around (I took it days 5 through 9).

Anyway, I have not seen the doctor yet, but I did put a phone call in (they never called me back). Anyway, I have tons of progesterone left over from the whole debacle regarding the RE at 200 mg each (suppositories). I have been taking one a day. I am also taking my prenatal vitamin, and I just started a low dose baby aspirin as suggested by some other ladies here, just in case. I do not think that my doctor will run betas without an appointment, but then again I would not know because she never called me back, which kind of irked me. I might be looking for another OB/GYN. On the other hand, I have a friend who runs a lab at a local hospital and is willing to do my betas for free. So that is covered for me at least. Also, this way I can make sure that everything looks ok to schedule a slightly later appointment at around maybe 6 or 7 weeks.

I just want to make sure that I have all my bases covered just in case. Do you think I am right with all this? When I was doing IVF they had me take 2 suppositories twice a day (400mg) and a 1cc shot, but when I had my labs done, my progesterone was at 232!! I should be ok with one a day right?

I am just so scared and I don't want to do anything to mess this up. I know none of you are doctors, I just want to time my appointment right for an u/s if possible to check for a h/b. I know a lot of you ladies have tons of experience with this.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 11th, 2011, 08:02 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about your personal medical situation but I was on 100mg 1 time a day. Call your OB in the am and ask them.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you have all your bases covered. I would do the same as your doing.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

October 11th, 2011, 10:23 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Sounds like you have it all covered. I would for sure call tomorrow.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I just realized that my suppositories are 400 mg each. Isn't that a little too much? Maybe I should start cutting them in half? Would it be bad for my body to get less progesterone all of the sudden? Or maybe take them every 2 or 3 days instead of every day.

I am definately going to try and call again today.

October 12th, 2011, 04:41 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I would take one a day. I don't think your supposed to cut them in half (I think my OB told me this) and I would defiantly call your OB or another one if yours isn't answering you.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

October 12th, 2011, 06:27 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I think you have everything covered. 400mg is a lot but I wonder if you can have to much progestrone?
I hope you can get ahold of your DR soon.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
October 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I was on 400mg of progresterone total during the day. And they actually had no proof I had low progesterone in the first place. So I doubt that 400 in someone who DOES have low progesterone would hurt anything.

I was on 2-200mg suppositories a day (one morning and one evening). And I took what you are taking too (aspirin and prenatal). As you can tell by my tickers...I still need to get my siggy up (been lazy)...it worked out great for me

I would get a new OB. You need to feel confident with your care and I learned throughout this pregnancy that if you are not comfortable with your care, it can "ruin" the experience for you. And just make things harder. So start looking!
October 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not cut the dose in half, your body will get rid of any excess progesterone. Just make sure to let the new ob know what your taking.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

October 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks ladies. I am trying to get my insurance in order for all this, as we just lost it. I am switching OB's anyway. I hate that this lady did not call me back. I put another call in today with no response. I am calling around now for another place with a sliding scale for payments and trying for CHIP here.

October 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
The 400 should be just fine IMO... I am on 400 mg total a day (200 2x a day). I take them orally and everything has been wonderful so far! Well I WAS taking 400 mg a day....I am slowly weaning off of it though. I think I will do 2 weeks of 1 pill a day then go to every other day. The dr said going off it cold turkey would be just fine but if I wanted to wean off that would be okay too.

I have always heard taking progesterone (just as a precautionary) is fine...even if you didn't really have a problem with it being low.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search