Preparing for post pardum

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What things will I need for ME post pardum. I am trying to remember back that I had hemorrhoid pad type things that helped and I think I had a water bottle to wash down there after going to the bathroom?

I have maxi pads. What things can you think of that I will need to take care of me?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sitz bath. I took a warm sitz bath every day and it was my daily 10 minutes of heaven. You can also get some herbs or something for a soothing tea, but just plain hot water is awesome too.

October 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I don't know! It seems like I need to go and get a couple of things now...

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My BIL installed one of those cheap hand-held shower heads -- it was a GODSEND! Warm water will get the blood flowing, but will also help with healing. I planned on having it taken off, but it's been 2 years and we STILL have it. I recommend one that has different pressures -- you don't want to "blast" yourself with water.

I have friends in the medical field who helped with a few other things... They got me "chucks". It is a waterproof pad about 24 x 36 inches. (Disposable) It is GREAT for the bed at night. In fact, i started using them before I went into labor in case my water broken in bed.

Pads with witchhasle (spelled completely wrong, I think) are great for soothing hemoroids.

If you have a lot of swelling, a bag of frozen peas or corn works well. You can always re-freze them and re-use them.

I'll post more if I can think of more.

October 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I needed stool softener after dd
October 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to everything....stool softeners, witch hazel (Tucks pads are a choice) and the water bottle were my friends! I also carried a soft pillow around the house to sit on....hemorrhoids and stitches were horrible for me! I would suggest some anti-inflammtories too....I'm "intolerant" to them (they raise my blood pressure) but it was worth taking them, they helped in ways that Tyelenol couldn't.

Comfortable clothes were also a must....I still don't fit into my pre-preggo clothes

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

October 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Let's see, a lot of these ladies gave great ideas. Pads, sitz bath, hemorroid pads, comfortable loose clothing to wear while at hospital or on the way home, any personal toiletries, and plenty on loose undies. I bled through onto some of mine.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I second everything mentioned! And would suggets some nursing pads (even if you are formula feeding, you are gonna leak like no other for a while). And a GOOD water bottle to keep by you all day. With the sitting and taking care of baby, you will need lots of fluids. I found it easy to fill up and have with me, instead of needing 4-5 cups of water in that same time period. I liked a stainless steel one that kept the water cold. And if you want to dry up your milk (like don't want to nurse), I suggest a really snug sports bra. I hear it is good for lessening the pain of that.
October 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
About the pads get the HUGE long over night ones.
I just bought regular ones with DD and the first night I had her I had lots of bleeding and huge clots and went throught the 1 pack that the nurses gave me and I asked for more and they told me NO. So all I had to use was the regular pads I brought or the nasty regular ones the hospital gave me and I kept bleeding through them. So glad I am not using that hospital this time around.
I have some friends that have even got some depends.

I would get loose fitting slippers for the hospital.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
October 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Take your own pads to the hospital!! I hated theirs.
The water bottle was a godsend for me too.

I loved having my own pajamas for the hospital and a real robe. As soon as I moved to post postpartum I got rid of the hospital gown. I also had several extra pairs of underwear that I didn't care about. I was not a fan of the mesh panties they give you, but even with the big overnight pads you may leak. I had cheap underwear that I could just toss if it got messed up.

And toiletries! When you finally get to take a shower you will love having your own stuff. Also make sure DH packs some for him if he is staying with you the entire time. And a change of clothes, maybe two in case of accidents.

BTW- I can't believe you are getting this close! A month a way!!

October 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to everyone else........plus a nice bottle of wine for when you get home!!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

October 17th, 2011, 01:11 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Agree with everything that is posted. I am so excited you are so close.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ahhh, more things to do!!!!! Thanks for posting this, Missy! It had not even crossed my mind.
October 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Makenna View Post
My BIL installed one of those cheap hand-held shower heads -- it was a GODSEND! Warm water will get the blood flowing, but will also help with healing. I planned on having it taken off, but it's been 2 years and we STILL have it. I recommend one that has different pressures -- you don't want to "blast" yourself with water.

I have friends in the medical field who helped with a few other things... They got me "chucks". It is a waterproof pad about 24 x 36 inches. (Disposable) It is GREAT for the bed at night. In fact, i started using them before I went into labor in case my water broken in bed
Great ideas! Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedaysoon View Post
I would suggest some anti-inflammtories too....I'm "intolerant" to them (they raise my blood pressure) but it was worth taking them, they helped in ways that Tyelenol couldn't.
I actually have some from when I hurt myself last year but for those that don't - Did your doctor prescribe them for you? How does one go about getting some anti-inflammatory medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyE117 View Post
Let's see, a lot of these ladies gave great ideas. Pads, sitz bath, hemorroid pads, comfortable loose clothing to wear while at hospital or on the way home, any personal toiletries, and plenty on loose undies. I bled through onto some of mine.
I have a ton of big cheap ugly panties for this pregnancy that I bought at Walmart so I figure I will use them up. I am actually looking forward to getting back into my cute sexy undies!

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

October 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Missy- don't worry about prescriptions. At least my doctor gave me them when I was discharged.

October 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I second everything mentioned! And would suggets some nursing pads (even if you are formula feeding, you are gonna leak like no other for a while).
Nursing pads and frozen peas are a great idea! I remember putting frozen peas on my chest to help with the pain.

October 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
I actually have some from when I hurt myself last year but for those that don't - Did your doctor prescribe them for you? How does one go about getting some anti-inflammatory medication?
I left the hospital with a prescription for Motrin. Advil or Aleve also work well, so really you can get any of it OTC.

They also gave me scripts for stool softeners.

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

October 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5lopez View Post
Ditto to everyone else........plus a nice bottle of wine for when you get home!!
I love champagne and have a bottle all ready! That and Red promised to bring me a case of diet coke to the hospital

Ekkkkkkkk! 1 more month to go!

What else do they send you home from the hospital with?

October 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
What else do they send you home from the hospital with?
A perfect little baby that relies on you for everything.

October 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I have awhile before I need to think about all this but thanks for posting this. Since this is our first I am sure I will be asking more questions towards the end.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search