Blood Test, blah

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
So as you may know, I had the NT scan last week and they also drew blood to do whatever blood test they do for the chromosomal abnormalities. A lady at the hospital called today and told me that the test came back as a 1 in 17 chance of some trisomy and down's syndrome, which is about 6% (5.88). She wants me to come in so she can explain the other tests like amniocentesis and CVS (and maybe something else, I don't know).

My gut tells me there's probably nothing wrong. The neck measurement and nasal bone were really good, so I think it's probably just a false positive. It still stinks. I don't think I want to do any of those tests because the huge needle freaks me out and I know there are risks to the baby if I have them done.

So anyway, I just wanted to babble about that. I am going to call my OB tomorrow to see what she thinks. I don't really feel like I need to go in for counseling. I know all about the tests and it's improbable that I would have them done.
October 17th, 2011, 02:30 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I never had any blood tests at my scans. Was there a reason why they wanted to test for these things anyways? Sorry it came back with those odds. I am glad you have a good head on your shoulders and can really think objectively and not freak out.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

October 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That stinks that the blood test came back with that result. You are right that there are tons of false positives, though- my friend had a false positive with both of her pregnancies, and she ended up getting an amnio with each that showed everything was fine. Crossing everything that your baby is just fine!

PS I love that pumpkin!
October 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I'd wait and talk to your doctor. They should COMBINE the NT scan and the blood test for an overall risk. The blood test alone is not reliable.
The CVS is probably already out, since the optimum time is during your 11th week.
And I know what you mean about the Amnio needle. It scares the crap out of me too. One reason I was leaning towards the CVS- you don't see that one.

The blood test alone is what got such a bad reputation for false positives (or false high risks).

October 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnicole View Post
PS I love that pumpkin!
Thanks, it was a pain in the butt to set up. One small bump and all of those stupid candy corns shifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *SamF* View Post
I'd wait and talk to your doctor. They should COMBINE the NT scan and the blood test for an overall risk. The blood test alone is not reliable.
The CVS is probably already out, since the optimum time is during your 11th week.
And I know what you mean about the Amnio needle. It scares the crap out of me too. One reason I was leaning towards the CVS- you don't see that one.

The blood test alone is what got such a bad reputation for false positives (or false high risks).
Yeah, I was told at the NT scan that it would be a combination of my age + the scan + two separate blood tests 4-6 weeks apart. So I don't know why this lady is calling me out of the blue. I haven't had the second blood test yet.
October 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I hope it's just a false positive and the second blood test combined with the NT scan has better results. I had a CVS done at 12w3d and they did it vaginally (no needle involved), it wasn't bad at all.

1/25/12

October 17th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope it's just a false positive for you!
October 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Sillylittlefishey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My test came back high for spina bifidia but since they were already monitoring the baby for her size (she has short arms and legs like me) with monthly level 2 ultrasounds they could see that her spine was fine...or if there is a problem it's so small that they can't see it. But I refused the amio also...I don't see the point of finding out if there is nothing they can do to fix it. And the huge needle freaks me out too...it's just not worth the risks to me.

October 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
mom2moose
My OB told me she wouldn't tell me anything until the 2nd blood draw, so it's odd they are calling you. Hmmm . . . The big problem is the amount of false positives. I'm glad you're not freaking out over it. Good for you. I agree about talking to your doc and see what she says. Good luck!
October 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My bet would be that it's a false positive. That test is notorious for them. I'm sorry she's calling you already before you've had the second set of tests done.

Btw my son LOVES your pumpkin! Every time I log on he begs me to find it so he can see it again and again and again.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

October 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had the NT scan done as I did not have the insurance. Because of my age and the fact that we each have downs babies in our families we decided to do an amino. It was obviously a very personal decision and not for everyone.

I am really scared of needles and so the nurse was kind enough to put a towel over my eyes and my husband held my hand all the way through. I was crampy for a few hours after but stayed on bed rest for a day like they said. All in all I am glad that we had the amino.

I hope it is a false positive Courtney - I have had a few friends get false results in the past. ((hugs))

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Want to clarify (just cause I like the idea of the NT Scan)...it isnt a false positive...even though 1/17 sounds "high"...it means that only one in 17 babies like yours is going to have something wrong with it...so, 16 out of 17 are not going to have anything wrong with them, thats still pretty good odds that the baby is fine...

you have a good attitude about it, but I would definitely talk to your OB about it, I believe that in most cases, if you are having a level 2 U/S at around 20 weeks, you can find out most of the information without it being as invasive...

FWIW, in my last DDC, two girls had very high odds: 1/3 and 1/5...both babies turned out perfect...
October 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Sorry you are having to worry about it. Hope your OB can give you some good advice.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My test came back with simaliar results, I had an added risk for carrying a prior downs baby, but we also opted to do no additional invasive testing, we decided that because we knew that no matter what happened we were carrying this child and would not be terminating. We did however get an extra detailed ultrasound later in the pregnancy to go back in and look for differant markers again. On all the us the baby looked and measured perfect.

If you do change your mind and have the cvs test or amnio done my best advise would be to think about why you are having the test done and make sure that DH and yourself are on the same page, don't just assume.

I talked to my dr after my results came back and how these scans are computed are IMO stupid. And I absolutely wouldn't trust the test without the fold being big or other markers showing up.
October 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Thanks everyone!

I asked the nurse who drew my blood how long it took them to process it and even she said they wouldn't know/say anything until after the second blood test. I think I am going to call the lady back and just cancel the appointment until I can confer with the OB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids623 View Post
Btw my son LOVES your pumpkin! Every time I log on he begs me to find it so he can see it again and again and again.
I'm glad he likes it! I can email you a copy of it if you want it for a desktop background or something. I'm going to change my signature in a week to a different Nightmare Before Christmas themed picture that I took, but it's a little creepier.
October 18th, 2011, 03:18 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe View Post

I'm glad he likes it! I can email you a copy of it if you want it for a desktop background or something. I'm going to change my signature in a week to a different Nightmare Before Christmas themed picture that I took, but it's a little creepier.
That would be great! I'll PM you my email address. He wants to print out a copy to bring to school and show his friends and teacher the "super cool pumpkin Mommy's friend made!"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

October 18th, 2011, 03:28 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Courtney I also hope it's a false positive. I really hate some of the tests the doctors run and then make you have a fear of the unknown. Blah!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

October 18th, 2011, 04:14 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I had a false positive with my daughter. I did not stress it too much afterwards though, because I got weekly u/s's. From everything you said, everything sounds fine. I cannot believe she would call you without all the testing first anyway.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Courtney I agree with the other ladies. I can't figure out why they just gave you the results of the blood tests and didn't combine with the u/s results. I know the place that we are having it done said they would combine u/s with two different sets of blood tests. One done at 13 weeks and one done I believe around 16 weeks to get a percentage of our chances of having a baby with chromosomal issues. I would definitely call and ask about that. I believe that since your u/s showed such a healthy little baby that all is fine.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
October 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I am sorry you have to worry about this. I hope it is a false postive. I agree about talking to your Ob before you deceide to do anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search