Birthing Plans/Request

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you have one or will you have one? What did you put on it?
October 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Nah. All I know is that I want an epidural if at all possible. I have a low threshold for pain. I just want a happy healthy baby no matter what.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I did for DS, but the stupid induction messed with it.
I won't have a formal one this time, but will make sure my doctor and the nurses understand what I want and don't want.

Last time too I went 'around' hospital rules. I wanted to be able to snack during labor to keep my strength up, and they don't want you too. I just made sure I brought my snacks in with me.

October 24th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did with my son, and even though I'm having a repeat c/s this time I'm going to have one. Things on my birth plan for the c/s include:

-It's hard for my IV to be started correctly the first time, I'd like to avoid getting stuck many times by having a very experienced person (possibly the anesthesiologist) insert my IV. (Put this in there because with my son they stuck me SIX times before getting it right! And when I had my D&C's they stuck me 3 times before finally putting it in my elbow which is ok only if you aren't in the hospital overnight so it's not an option for delivery)
-Please hold baby up when she's born so I can see her.
-Please give baby to my husband as soon as possible after delivery so he can sit next to me with her for the remainder of the surgery.
-I'd like my arms to remain unrestrained during surgery unless absolutely necessary.
-I'd like to breastfeed baby as soon as possible, preferabbly within one hour of her being born.
-If baby needs to go to the NICU or anywhere else, my husband will follow.
-Baby will be exclusively breastfed, please do NOT offer baby formula, pacifers, or sugar water without our consent first.
-If baby happens to be in the nursery, I want her brought to me every 2 hours for feeding regardless of whether I am awake or not.
-I'd like to have my pain medication brought to me on schedule, please do NOT wait for me to ask for it.

I think that's about all I have on it and will give a copy to my dr but also the nurses since most of the stuff is for them.
October 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsnowflake View Post

-It's hard for my IV to be started correctly the first time, I'd like to avoid getting stuck many times by having a very experienced person (possibly the anesthesiologist) insert my IV. (Put this in there because with my son they stuck me SIX times before getting it right!
Saturday morning my red cell count was low so they had to re-test me before I was allowed to go home. For some reason my veins kept collapsing and they stuck me 9 times before they called in the IV Team. - I was trying to be brave but I have a fear of needles and by the 8th time I was crying.

I have never had a birth plan and won't have one now. I am a more go with the flow person.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 24th, 2011, 03:36 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I had a birth plan but ended up having a c/section so pretty much nothing applied to it. The only thing that did was having Megan be with David since I was put under.

October 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
I just used one of the sites but I chose a more "natural-friendly" site because theirs included things like "allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut" and "no internal checks unless I request them".

October 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I didn't do one. As long as I got meds I was happy lol.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 24th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
I didn't do one. As long as I got meds I was happy lol.
You make me laugh Jess.

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

October 24th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I am keeping mine simple

DRUGS ASAP!! (I am right with you Jess)
I want to wait til the cord stops pulsating before cut, if possible
I do not want the sex of the baby announced (i waited 9 months to find out, df and I can tell the differance and want to see for ourselves)

**If baby needs to go to nicu for any reason df is to stay with baby.
October 25th, 2011, 07:20 AM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I haven't thought that far. I guess when we get closer we will talking about a birth plan.
October 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Super Mommy
I had some general ideas of things I wanted and made sure my dr and doula knew ahead of time. No drugs if possible... ok a little drugs I wanted delayed cord clamping, no eye goo, and skin to skin asap. Fortunately, I got everything I needed and I was really happy with how the team respected my wishes. I wish I had known about the IV thing... four attempts in between contractions in very active labour was not fun and I had wicked bruises for weeks afterwards. They had 3 different nurses trying. ARGH!
October 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica121706 View Post
I want to wait til the cord stops pulsating before cut, if possible
What is the benefit of waiting until it stops pulsating? I know nothing about this.

October 25th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I did with my son, and even though I'm having a repeat c/s this time I'm going to have one. Things on my birth plan for the c/s include:

-It's hard for my IV to be started correctly the first time, I'd like to avoid getting stuck many times by having a very experienced person (possibly the anesthesiologist) insert my IV.
You want an experienced NURSE, not a physician, to put in your IV then. Physicians rarely insert IVs and usually have less experience doing it unless you have a relatively new nurse. Most nurses who work in L&D are expert IV inserters.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
October 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
What is the benefit of waiting until it stops pulsating? I know nothing about this.
When I asked my doctor about it he said it allows more blood to flow into the baby. To me that just seems like it is the way it should be.

He did say they are more then willing to wait but sometimes the cord can tangle around the neck during labor and in that case they will cut right away as the baby is coming out.
October 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyKitty View Post
You want an experienced NURSE, not a physician, to put in your IV then. Physicians rarely insert IVs and usually have less experience doing it unless you have a relatively new nurse. Most nurses who work in L&D are expert IV inserters.

I don't care who it is or what qualifications they have as long as they get it in on the first try! LOL with my son I went through 3 different nurses and 6 pokes before they called the anesthesiologist who got it in right away with no problems.
October 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
i think I may request the anesthesiologist to insert my iv too...last time the nurse missed or didn't do it right and my hand was so swollen.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
October 25th, 2011, 04:20 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a birth plan, where we included all our preferences for a natural childbirth... but now that we are going to be induced and likely restricted to the bed during labor, it's all pretty much out the window... time to write a new one Actually we also have a section about our preferences in the case of C-section and now with the early induction will probably add one about NICU preferences.
October 25th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't care who it is or what qualifications they have as long as they get it in on the first try! LOL with my son I went through 3 different nurses and 6 pokes before they called the anesthesiologist who got it in right away with no problems.
I have awful veins too... and so far the best people I've found to stick me are the ones that have worked in the NICU. The last time I had my blood drawn the phlebotomist got me with the first stick and I asked him about it and he said that poking those teeny veins makes you an expert!

We don't have a birth plan yet. I'm sure we'll get some of that sorted out with the midwife as we get further along. I do know that I'm planning to give birth at her birth center, in the water, with no interventions. But we'll also be within four minutes of our hospital, just in case.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search