baby laundry and washing clothes

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2011, 10:25 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you/did you use special baby laundry soap? There was dreft back in the day but I could not afford it and just washed all the clothes together.

Is it important to use a soap like dreft? Do you wash all clothes before the baby is born, even new ones?

Help! I feel so unprepared.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 25th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I bought it because I was told I *must*. Then I washed some of his clothes in normal soap and he didn't have a negative reaction, so I stayed with normal Tide. I don't think it matters that much. You can get dye or perfume free of a normal brand if you want to avoid that kind of thing.
October 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingFaith View Post
I washed everything in a "baby" detergent. And yes, you should wash new stuff before you put it on her, there is left over dye and such from manufacturing...Here is an article for you:
HealthyChildren.org - Cleaning Baby Clothes
It says I have to register for their website to read the article, do you mind pasting it here for me?

Thank you all for your help girls!

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

October 26th, 2011, 06:54 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I washed everything in a "baby" detergent. And yes, you should wash new stuff before you put it on her, there is left over dye and such from manufacturing...Here is an article for you:
HealthyChildren.org - Cleaning Baby Clothes

1/25/12

October 26th, 2011, 08:03 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I used Dreft for my first child, and then I quickly got over it for my second child. I have too much laundry to be seperating anything. Plus, my daughter was fine with regular soap. If someone gifts it to me I'll use Dreft, but I won't go out and buy it.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm just using Tide - the free and clear type. No reason to have the baby detergent, IMO.
October 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM
mom2moose
I've never used the baby detergent. I use whatever I get on sale. Although I do try to get the dye and perfume free kinds.
October 26th, 2011, 08:55 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
It says I have to register for their website to read the article, do you mind pasting it here for me?

Thank you all for your help girls!
hmmm, sorry about that, here's what it says

Cleaning Baby Clothes

Washability is definitely something to consider. Be sure to look at the labels not only for size, flame-resistance, or snug-fitting information but also for washing instructions. Unless you relish the thought of hand-washing a lot of baby clothes and frequently replacing those that don’t hold up well, we suggest you give some serious thought to the durability and washability of the baby clothes you buy—especially your baby’s everyday outfits, Onesies, and sleepers.

Washing. Because newborns tend to have sensitive skin (and because you don’t know who has handled the clothing and with what before it made its way into your possession), it’s generally a good idea to wash all clothes prior to using them. An exception might be outerwear such as coats and jackets that don’t have much contact with the skin (and tend not to wash and dry easily). As a helpful hint, consider putting small items such as socks in a mesh bag for washing and drying and remember to fasten any Velcro tabs (such as on bibs) before tossing them into the fray to avoid snagging other clothes.
Detergents. It is a common recommendation that baby clothes should be washed separately, using special “baby” detergents that supposedly leave fewer residues and are therefore less likely to cause skin irritation. In reality, we’ve found that many if not most parents simply toss their baby’s clothes in with the rest of the family’s laundry without causing any problems. That said, it is worth paying attention to the fact that detergents in general don’t strip away the flame-retardant properties of sleepwear, but soap flakes can. Given that information, you can choose your detergent as we do—buy one that smells good and gets the dirt out, and only feel compelled to invest in a milder “baby” detergent (or hypoallergenic/fragrance-free “adult” detergent) if your baby develops any signs of skin irritation.
Stain removal. The best approach to managing stains made by breast milk, formula, spit-up, or poop is to try wiping or rinsing off the offending substance as much as you can while it’s still relatively fresh. We realize that this may be easier said than done—especially if you find yourself in the middle of a diaper change or feeding with a clothing stain that is settling itself in for the long haul—but if you can remove even some of it with a baby wipe or soak the clothes in some water and detergent, you’ll be glad you did. We also suggest stocking your laundry room with a good stain remover and designating a place for soaking stained or soiled clothing.

1/25/12

October 26th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I already use unscented detergent (Tide Free & Gentle) because my son has sensitive skin. Chloe seems to be fine with it.

October 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Regular
While baby is still very little, I do use a free & clear detergent. Eventually I end up using whatever we are using at the moment. I do however wash all baby's clothes seperate. Idk why really, just always have.

October 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I use whatever we have

If they have a reaction to it, I'd switch to something else.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
October 26th, 2011, 02:32 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've always used Tide for their clothes and ours. My sister and brother used Dreft with their kids and it never seemed to get the spit up stains out of my nieces' clothes.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

October 26th, 2011, 03:30 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I did and still do with DD but she has skin issues. My grocery store makes a store brand that is about half the cost of Dreft.... I even have to wash my own undies in it because I was getting irritated for some reason.
My freinds daughter also have skin issues and she says she just uses the clear and free stuff.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
October 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wash all the clothes (even new) ahead of time just because with my son, sometimes if I didn't then the clothing dye would come off on his skin!

I just wash them with everything else though, we only do two loads in this household, darks and lights. So they get separated and washed with everything else with the normal soap. There's really no reason to use the "special" soap unless your little one has sensitive skin.
October 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Lindsey - Thank you for the article, it was very informative.

And Thank you everyone. I guess I will get washing this weekend.

October 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sillylittlefishey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did use Dreft for my older two for the first year....but I bought All Free & Clear this time which was much cheaper...but we normally use tide so we may end up switching to their free and clear detergent....

October 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I use draft. Partly because I love how it smells and partly just to be safe. Yes wash the clothes before she wears them.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search