Night Terrors question for BTDT moms...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the first time ever Makenna woke up in the middle of the night screaming and crying uncontrollably. I went into her room as soon as I heard her and picked her up. After a few minutes, she finally calmed down. I asked her if she had a bad dream and she said yes. I laid her down in our bed between dh and I. A couple of hours later, she woke up again calling for me. "I'm scared, I'm scared" she kept saying. I asked her what she was scared of and she said "I can't clap.". Don't know what that one means.

So, here are my questions....
  1. I've heard of "night terrors" in toddlers. Is it any different than a bad dream that anyone can have?
  2. How did you handle it when your child had one?
  3. I want to comfort my child, but I also don't want her getting used to coming into our bed every night. I know it was only one night, but I've heard of SO many mom's who can't get their kids out of their beds and back into their own beds. Any suggestions?
  4. Any ideas on preventative stuff to keep nightmares from happening?
Thanks for listening ladies!

October 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My boys never had night terrors but they would have bad dreams at times. I always allowed them to come in and sleep with me to be comforted but also let them know it was not an every night thing. I am sure that once in a while they used the excuse just to come in for cuddles

It sounds like a really scary experience your daughter had. I hope it was just a bad dream and not something she has to deal with long term.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Night terrors are entirely different from just having a bad dream or even just sleepwalking. Kids will wake up from a dream and cry and might be scared, but they are consious and talking to you and you can make them go back to sleep. It sounds like that's what your DD had and maybe a night light would help or a special stuffed animal that will 'protect her'.
My DS had night terrors. Those are not fun at all. They started when he was about 18 months old and he would get them pretty frequently. He would start screaming, crying, throwing himself on the floor, sometimes he'd just sit there and cry. The thing with night terrors is that the child is not really awake and they won't respond to you, no matter what you are doing or saying. I would try to hold him and he would scream and throw himself away from me. If I tried to leave he would scream louder. But he would not ever talk to me or make eye contact. Sometimes it could last up to 30 minutes. You have to let it just run it's course and just make sure the child doesn't get hurt. He would eventually fall asleep and wouldn't remember a thing in the morning. We would have only 1 incident per night.
Tyler's trigger was sleep apnea, that mixed with him not getting good naps in the day or being sick a lot made him really cranky and the apnea would be worse. Once we got that taken care of he was like a brand new kid and we haven't had night terrors for years now.
My dd sleep walks, and that's different again. They are not awake while sleep walking or sleep talking (they don't have to move around). She would be just crying or talking jibberish in her sleep and then go back to sleep. Sometimes I'll wake up to her standing beside my bed (freaks the heck out of me) and she'll be saying werid stuff that makes no sense. I'll just walk her back to bed and she doesn't remember anything in the morning.
I think with a regular nightmare you remember something at least.
Let me know if you have any other questions about the night terrors.

Oh and when my kids have a bad dream I will cuddle them and give them some water and then walk them back to their beds. Sometimes (with the younger ones) I'll let them sleep with me but only for about 5-10 minutes, just to make them feel better, and then take them back to bed. But some kind of night light might help your DD.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Last edited by Trish36; October 27th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
October 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Trish -- after further research, I def think it was just a bad dream -- not night terrors. She was definitely awake when I went in and she responded and talked to me. She was just scared. Poor thing. We DO have a nightlight in her room. She sleeps with her special "bunny" every night too. What a scary time to go through with your ds. I'm glad he is over them now.

Missy -- I want to SO bad just let her sleep with us, but I know in the end I will regret it. We'll see how tonight goes.

Thanks for the feedback ladies.

October 27th, 2011, 02:15 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Makenna View Post
Missy -- I want to SO bad just let her sleep with us, but I know in the end I will regret it. We'll see how tonight goes.
Honestly not really. I left out that for about 4 months my youngest would come in around 2am and sleep with me every night. (it had nothing to do with bad dreams) He was about 2 years old at the time. I did not care as I was a single mom and it was just me in the bed anyway and I kind of liked having him there. Then I met a guy, it got serious and I had to wean Kyle away from my bed. It wasn't that hard at all. To me every situation is different and whatever works for one family may not work for another at all.

Trish - I feel so bad for you and your son. To have to go through that must have been so hard as a parent. ((hugs))

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search