Flu Shot while pregnant?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went in for an ob appointment today. The doctor was not in so I saw a Nurse practitioner. She was talking to me and brought in a needle. I was like woah, what is that for? She said it was a flu shot and I needed to get it so when the baby is born she does not get sick. I have never had a flu shot before and neither have any of my boys. I don't know if I feel comfortable with her injecting this into my body without doing some research so I refused.

She got really upset and nasty after that. I was having a nasty contraction (they are registering 103+ on the monitors now!!) and she just said "do you have any questions, are you done"?

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the flu shot while pregnant? Does Scarlett need this while she is in my body? (I don't want to turn this into a debate about vaccines please)
Thanks!!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 28th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had one when I was pg with DD, at my doctors advice, but I wasn't as far along as you are. I was about 20 weeks I think.

If you are uncomfortable with it, I would definitely call your own doc and also maybe the pediatrician to see what they think. Let them know your feelings and see if they have any other suggestions. The flu shot doesn't necessarily keep you from getting the flu anyways, the strains can be different from year to year, so it is really a comfort thing for yourself

October 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I got a flue shot. If you're allergic to eggs, don't get the shot.

Your baby cannot receive vaccinations prior to 6 months but if you get the vaccine, you pass the antibodies on to your baby. I do not know how long it takes your body to develop the antibodies though, so she could end up being born before it has any effect.

The flu can be deadly to pregnant mothers and babies, so I get the shot. In my DDC, most people refused the shot but their reasons, in my opinion, weren't based on any facts. A common one was, "I never get the flu shots and I never get the flu. Why do I need a shot?". By that same logic, there is no reason to have house insurance for fires since your house has never caught on fire before. I don't get it.
October 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
It's a personal choice. I would get a flu shot if needed, but I think I have some type of the flu right now. Lol. I'll ask the doctor on Monday.

Also, on a side note.... complain about that terrible nurse! She cannot force anything on you and for her to catch attitude is highly unprofessional. She should have checked you and not got pissy about a shot. So you do not even know how far along you are dilated then?

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 28th, 2011, 11:00 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
It is actually recommended to get it while pregnant as we are more susceptible. I work in a doctors office and I got there, they have one that is Thimerosal free for prenatal patients. I actually can't get my holiday bonus at work unless I get the flu shot...

1/25/12

October 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I ended up getting it when pregnant with DS, at the time we had a pretty hefty flu outbreak here. I will most likely get it at my next appt.

October 28th, 2011, 11:42 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
I got mine, I want to do everything I can to protect him from the flu.

October 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
See, this is the kind of research I wanted to do. As I hear your experiences it makes sense to me to get the shot. She caught me off guard and did not take the time to explain it to me, she just got defensive.

I will get the shot on Tuesday when I go in for my NST. Thanks girls! Not sure what I would do without you. xoxoxoxo

CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett

October 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know I'm late but I got my flu shot back at my 28 week appt. As others have said, baby can't get the vaccine so if you get it while pregnant you pass on the antibodies and she'll be protected too. And there's also a risk to the baby if you were to get the flu while pregnant because there can be many many complications from it, and as prego's we're more likely to get the flu anyways. I don't typically get a flu shot, but I do while pregnant.
October 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks Rachel! I wonder why they are just offering it to me now then if it is important? You would think they would have had me do it earlier.

I appreciate all of you!

October 28th, 2011, 04:32 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been going back and forth about this for weeks. I know that the babies will more than likely be born before 35 weeks (during flu season) and will do NICU time. They can't get their flu shot until at least 6 months, and by then flu season will be over. I have asthma, and H1N1 seriously attacks the respiratory system. I have a friend who got H1N1 when she was pregnant with her daughter and had to deliver considerably early because of the complications with her asthma. She delays and selectively vaxes her kids and she still recommended that I get it since I have such issues with my asthma. Knowing all that I was still on the fence, because all the junk they put in vaccines scares me. I talked to my OB about it last night and she was really understanding of my concerns. After talking to her I realized it is in our best interest to get it, and they had the preservative free version, so that made me feel better.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

October 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe View Post
I got a flue shot. If you're allergic to eggs, don't get the shot.

Your baby cannot receive vaccinations prior to 6 months but if you get the vaccine, you pass the antibodies on to your baby. I do not know how long it takes your body to develop the antibodies though, so she could end up being born before it has any effect.

The flu can be deadly to pregnant mothers and babies, so I get the shot. In my DDC, most people refused the shot but their reasons, in my opinion, weren't based on any facts. A common one was, "I never get the flu shots and I never get the flu. Why do I need a shot?". By that same logic, there is no reason to have house insurance for fires since your house has never caught on fire before. I don't get it.
Ditto all this.

I have never had the flu either but I went ahead and got my flu shot to be on the safe side, especially while pregnant.

Missy - I am sorry that nurse was so nasty to you! I don't understand that!!! PLUS I think it is very ****** of them not to even ASK you beforehand if you wanted the shot...or talk to you about getting it...etc. Pretty rude IMO!

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Last edited by TnPhotoMama81; October 28th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
October 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Veteran
That nurse needs to brush up on her ppl skills i think. I'm going to get the flu shot, but it's really all up to you - I think way too much negative stuff is on the go about vaccinations and medicines and things these days and the little bit of risk when getting them is far outweighed by the benefits to yourself and baby. Maybe they are offering it so late because of when the flu season is? (i'm not sure about this, but in canada flu shots are always in Oct/Nov - at least anywhere i've lived)

Some people claim to get sick from flu shots, most times it seems like nothing happens besides a slight bit of tenderness at the injection site.
October 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I get my flu shot every year **** military but it is important while pregnant or just after having a baby. By protecting yourself you protect baby. Even if you have her before she got the antibodies you protect her by protecting your self. And the flu shot isn't for the common flu that makes you vomit for a day. It's for influenza which can be deadly. There is a difference.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 29th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got the flu shot and i get it every year even though I've never had the flu. For pregnant women it is especially important because our immune systems are compromised and we are more susceptible to illnesses like the flu and if you do get the "real" flu it is so much worse than even the worst cold. (Adam had it about 10/11 years ago and was in bed for a week, and he is not a whiner.) It's also hard for the babies to fight off so if you get it while pregnant it could be devastating to her. They probably didn't offer it earlier because it's generally offered late September through December, and some offices get them in earlier. Even though she should have asked first, I think it's great that your OB gets them in for patients. We have to go to our primary care or a Walgreens clinic to get it.

One important note: The flu shot for pregnant moms is made without any preservatives so just make sure you get that one.

October 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBee View Post

One important note: The flu shot for pregnant moms is made without any preservatives so just make sure you get that one.
How would I know if it is the version without preservatives?

October 29th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
The doctor should know, so I'd just ask. At Walgreens they asked me if i was pregnant and the syringe was marked with a pink tag. They were very careful with it.

October 30th, 2011, 05:52 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
Just ask them when you go in for your appt. They should know which type they have.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search