How long after Miscarriage to become pregnant

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Veteran
I am curious to know how long it took you to get pregnant after your loss. I had a miscarriage in June with a d & c and my husband and I are trying right away in hopes that the wives tale holds true and I am more fertile for the next 3 months than before d & c. What was your experience with ttc after miscarriage. Did you have it natural or did you have a d & c. Did you try right away or wait? Were there complications? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for writing.

Jenni
July 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to strawberigirl
I miscarried naturally, no D & C. My OB told me to use birth control until my cycle got normal again (she said around 3 months maybe). However, I didn't listen. But we didn't necessarily start "trying", we just didn't use any birth control and went about our normal sex life. I got pregnant immediately...the next time I ovulated. I don't know if this is normal or if I was just truly lucky. And I've made it to almost 32 weeks with a very healthy, active baby so I'd say it was successful! I wonder if the OBs tell you to wait to try and get pregnant again until after your menstrual cycle is regular again just so it's easier to determine an accurate due date based on the date of your last period. Or maybe it really is risky to get pregnant again so soon and we were just extremely blessed. Don't know if any of this helps but that's my story!

Meghan

Bowman --now 2 1/2
July 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Regular
Hi Jenni,

My miscarriage just ended on June 4th I just found out that I am pregnant now. the Dr told me that I should wait to get pregnant until I go through and complete my next cycle she explained that waiting is better because they definetly know it is a new pregnancy and easier to figure out the due date. But she said that other than that it is ok to get pregnant right away.

tammy

To the love of my life
July 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM
soontobemommyto3
I didn't m/c I had a still birth and went through L&D to have her. My dr told me we could start as soon as my cycles returned which fortunately were quickly. Many doctors advise waiting but I think my dr knew I wouldn't wait and I'm not young any more (37) and every month counts. We got pregnant again 8 weeks after our loss. Now I feel like an elephant because I've been pregnant for just about forever.
July 5th, 2006, 07:02 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I think I answered you in another forum but we were preggo again less than a month after I m/c. You just have to figure out when you O and go from there!
July 5th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Stacy29's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a D&C... after waiting two months for AF, we got pregnant the first month. I went back to temping, using OPKs, etc... the full shabang... I was DETERMINED!!! And it worked. So far, this pregnancy's been great! I would definitely suggest waiting for one AF though.

Braden Keith (11/22/06) & Kinsley Brooke (5/20/09)

July 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Super Mommy
Both of my m/c's were natural. We started trying immediately after both of them (although I was very hesitant after the 2nd...so although we were't TRYING, we weren't avoiding). It took me 5 months after both to get pg. again...the 3rd one stuck!

It's true that the most common reason Dr's will tell you to wait is only for dating purposes.
Waiting for #2!
</div>
July 6th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mommysarah
I had two miscarriages naturally, no D&C's either.... The first one was September 04, and we waited 6 months before we got pg again.... I miscarried again on May 1 05, and then we weren't trying, but we weren't preventing either, and unknown to myself, I got pg right away again.... I had a physical 7 weeks after my second miscarriage and she wondered if I was pg again, and I really didn't think so as it took 8 weeks for AF to come after the first MC.... Low and behold I was pg again, and now we have a beautiful 4 month old baby girl
July 6th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Veteran
I went to the hospital for bleeding at around 7 weeks on Feb 14 (great Valentines Day for me) and was told that it was a missed m/c. I'm pregnant again, due the day before Thanksgiving, making my conception date March 1. Go figure! No period, no nothing - this pregnancy has given me no problems (so far)!!!!!

can't wait to meet my baby boy!

July 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM
1234rachael's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to 1234rachael
Hi Jenni,

With my pregnancies & mc's it went like this: Last year my first loss was in June ( very beginning) I had a d&c I was about 8 weeks along. AF never came, after the d&C- I kept waiting and wanting her to come Sometime like 58-60days later AF arrived, but she wasn't "normal" we didn't take any precautions to prevent babies- and it turned out that I was pregnant- and AF was in fact a MC- (second) It was natural, no D&C, I was just bleeding a few days. Then in Oct of last year was my 3d MC., I was about a month a long? or so. At that point I went to a fertility doc. And had great success. The "theory' re: being "more fertile" after your d&c I am not too sure if it stands true? I asked my ob, and a few other ob's and they won't say that thats true. My OB told me as long as your ovulating- your fertile.
We didn't want to wait- and I had no complications. It just seemed that I had no problem getting pregnant, I just had trouble keeping the pregnancy. Progestrone did the trick I think??

My last pregnancy was Dec of 05- so we really didn't wait much , just a month of fertility-

feel free to email me anytime, I am very raely on the boards, but I've been around for well over a year now.
rachaelmessina@hotmail.com

Good luck with everything!! sorry for your loss

</div>
July 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for posting this question. I was just about to post the same question.

I am not pregnant yet because my Dr. told me to wait at least 3 normal cycles before trying and I am on my 2nd AF now. I had basically a stillbirth with labor and delivery w/ D&C even though I was only 17 weeks along. I lost a ton of blood and had to have 2 transfusions so I am thinking Dr. wants me to wait to make sure I am not anemic before conceiving.
I think every story is different and you should ask your Dr. what he or she thinks you should do based on your experience. In my case, we are VERY anxious to TTC again but will listen to Dr. because I would rather be safe than sorry. I would totally blame myself and be absolutely devastated if we had to suffer another loss because I was too impatient.
Emotionally, I am still grieving this recent loss and I want to make sure I am ok in my heart and soul before I get all sick and tired and fat and preggo again.
I still have all my maternity clothes hung up and organized though! (:

Good luck to you and as always, I am sorry and sad for all of you who have had to suffer losses.

By the way, thank you to all of you who answered this question. It has been nagging at me for a while now and it is reassuring to know that there is success after loss.
<div align="center"></div>
July 7th, 2006, 04:16 PM
my_boys_are_my_joy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I miscarried my first pregnancy. They said the baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks, but I had a D&C at 9 weeks on August 2, 2005. Without having any intercourse for 2 weeks following, I still got pregnant in August. And my HEALTHY baby boy was born May 16, 2006.

Good Luck!

a huge thank-you to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggy!
July 8th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Super Mommy
Dr's tell you to wait so that your hormones will settle back down to a normal level. As you can see, it doesn't really matter. Some are lucky to get pregnant right away and have a normal healthy pregnancy.

I m/c'd June 2006 at 10wks, had a d&c. Dr told us to wait 3 cycles. We waited 1. We were not as fortunate as some. It took 10 months to conceive again. Now we are expecting a baby Jan. 4th, but I'm sure I'll have the baby by Xmas.

Good Luck

url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/]
July 18th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My m/c began on april 28, I had two a/f the second one is the first day of my lmp for this pregnancy. (June 16)
July 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I started TTC August 05, got pregnant Oct/Nov 05, had a m/c Nov 05, then got pregnant again January 06

so each time we got pregnant on my 3rd cycle

July 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Super Mommy
I miscarried and had my D&C in January, my doctor said I didn't need to wait any longer than the 2 weeks to recover from the D&C to TTC, and guess what I got pregnant the first day we were allowed to try again. It was basically had my D&C on 1/10 and got pg on 1/24. I am now 25 weeks along and although has some bleeding at the beginning of this pg all is perfectly normal now!!! I wish you as much luck as I had! I have heard that after the D&C you are more fertile.

July 22nd, 2006, 01:28 AM
Kiwi*Mummie*of*4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I misscarried my first angel baby in August 2002 at 7 wks 3 days and 5 months later got pregnant again and had a beautiful baby girl. We got pregnant again and I misscarried in august 2005 at 7 wks 6 days pregnant and it took us just over 7 months to get pregnant again. We were told to try to conceive when we felt ready and so we tried off and on for a few months and finally decided to temp and I got pregnant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search