Glucose test

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Has this test always been 1 or 3 hours? I know I had this test 6 years ago with my son, but I don't remember having to lounge around the doctor's office for an hour. Just curious if they've changed how this test is performed.
October 31st, 2011, 11:04 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The first one is 1 hour. If you fail it then you have to do a 3 hour test...

At least that is what I went through.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I've read about the current test. I am wondering if it was different 6 years ago. I only remember drinking the nasty sugary drink. I don't think I sat there for an hour though.
October 31st, 2011, 11:14 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Hmmmm... If I remember correctly, I only did one with my daughter's pregnancy (my son's ob sucked) and it was a 3 hour test. I had to drink the stuff at the doctor's right before my appointment, and then after the appointment head over to the hospital to give my blood.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
It was the same 2 years ago.
Maybe you didn't do it with your son? I remember the hour wasn't too bad, they gave me the drink as soon as I walked in so that I didn't have to sit around and wait forever.

October 31st, 2011, 12:04 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I remember having to sit through it with my sister with my oldest nephew who just turned 7 but I don't think they used to do it with everyone just ones they suspecting might have it.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

October 31st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went through the 1hr test with my dd 3 years ago. My sister talks about taking the test with her 20year old. I'm pretty sure it was 1 hour then too. I think Katie might be right on WHO got the tests back then.

October 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Maybe so. I am not looking forward to it either way. I hate sugary drinks. At least I'll have JM and Facebook to occupy my time.
October 31st, 2011, 01:05 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the 1 hour tests with the boys back 20 years ago as well.

Just hope you pass it Courtney as the 3 hour test sucks! I had to go in, give blood, drink sugary drink. Sit there and for the next 3 hours give blood each hour. So 3 1/2 hours and 4 blood draws later I got to leave. It was just time consuming and the seats were not comfortable to sit in.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

October 31st, 2011, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It was 1 hour with my son 3 years ago too...My dr office is nice because they schedule you to come in and drink the drink, then during your 1 hour wait time you have your regular checkup, so that takes up a good chunk of the hour, then you wait til they call you back for the blood draw.

It was really really awful, I get very sick to my stomach with those things especially not being able to eat or drink during that hour. Just make sure you eat a good breakfast and stuffed with protein.
October 31st, 2011, 01:25 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Maybe it was 1 hour for me too then. That was 9 years ago so my mind is a little foggy. I just remember it taking FOREVER. Lol.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
October 31st, 2011, 01:41 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It was the same 2 years ago. I have heard now that some dr. are just requiring you to go straight to the 3 hour test which would absolutely suck.

I had the 1 hour test with DS and of course failed it by 2 measley points so I had to take the 3 hours test which was horrible. I passed thank goodness. I learned to eat no carbs the night before the test and it will help.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
October 31st, 2011, 03:03 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
When I had my first two I did the one hour but I didn't have to wait at the office. I could drink it at home then go get my blood drawn.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

October 31st, 2011, 06:29 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only had the 1 hour GTT. Thankfully, I've never had to do the 3 hour.

=May '05 and '11

October 31st, 2011, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did the 1 hour and 3 hour with ds - failed the 1 hr and passed the 3hr. This time i asked if i could just skip the 1 hour to save time but they said no... failed and ended up having the 3 hour today. Praying i pass this one!!

October 31st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I might have had my appointment in the middle so I didn't have to wait around long.
October 31st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's always been one hour for the first test. When I had dd#1 19 years ago, I drank the glucose solution at the OB's office and had to wait one hour at the office before they drew my blood there. When I had dd#2 8 years ago, I had to drink the solution at home and have blood drawn at the lab exactly one hour later. With dd#3, I drank 10 oz of grape juice (has sugar equivalent to the glucose solution) at home, and my midwives drew my blood at home exactly an hour later. So, where you drink the solution and where you wait to have blood drawn varies from practice to practice, but it's always a one hour test.

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
November 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With DD I had the one hour but like one of the pp said both the drs i've done them with gave me the drink when i got to the office and then I had my appt and blood draw after so it really didn't seem like I was waiting.
November 2nd, 2011, 08:53 AM
dreamer10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to have the tests done way back when I was pregnant with my first 20 years ago, but the difference for me was up until this last baby I was able to drink the sugary drink one hour before I left for my appt and have my blood drawn as I got the the office. Now they make you drink it there in the office and take your blood an hour later. Maybe women were somehow doing it wrong? I don't know....either way....it was different just a few years ago, now they make you do it there in the office. Oh well...at least most of us only do it once ...right?

Our rainbow baby Brynlee Sue was born August 17th after four heartbreaking loses! Life is an amazing journey. Hang on, keep your faith and try to always move forward!
November 2nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the 1 hr 7 years ago, and I had to do both the 1 and 3 hour with Chloe. In all cases I had to do it at the hospital lab. I had to drink the drink and wait the allotted time. The 3 hr really sucked, because that was a long wait! They told me that they didn't want me to leave in case I felt ill and passed out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search