Question for anyone with Thyroid Problems

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I don't like the Endocrinologist I had. I don't feel like he was really watching my levels like he should. Since we got pg I know I need to have my thyroid levels watched closely. I asked the high risk Ob doctor if he was going to watch my levels. Since he is going to turn me over to my regular ob after our Nt Scan he said I could have my doctor check my levels. My regular doctor was watching my levels more closely then the Endocrinologist. When I had appontment with my regular doctor he said he would check my levels and keep an eye on them. My doctor wants me to get my levels checked once a month. I went today to the lab to get my levels checked. My doctor ordered a fasting thyroid blood test. He said he gets a better reading on the levels if it is fasting. I have had thyroid cancer for 3 years now. I have been getting my levels checked for 3 years. This is the first time I have to fast for a thyroid level check. Has anyone had to fast to get their thyroid levels checked? How often is your doctor going to check your levels?
November 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never had to have a fasting test for my thyroid, pregnant or not pregnant.

My endo dr checked my levels every 2 months at first and then as I got further along every 4 weeks. I think I've had my dose changed 3 or 4 times! I think that's wierd they'd ask you to fast while pregnant..
November 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't ever had to fast for my tests either.

At first I was tested once a month, then as I got toward the 3rd trimester, it was more like once every 6 weeks. I only had to change doses once in the first trimester.
November 7th, 2011, 09:37 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been told by the NP at an endocrinologists office and by my OB that they don't check until the end of the first trimester. When I was pregnant with dd I don't think I was tested every month, maybe every 2 months...? I really don't remember, sorry! But for me, all they are really concerned about is TSH and maybe T4. I never had to fast for a test, either.

November 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I've never fasted for a test either. I only had mine checked once every trimester, but that was more because my levels were so stable before getting pregnant and were the same when drawn in my first trimester. If all is still stable at my check next Wednesday, I'll have them drawn every 6 months unless I feel like something is off.

November 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too had thyroid cancer and I've never had to fast for a blood test...I got my levels checked every 4 weeks, a couple times every 3 weeks during pregnancy.

November 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
let me start off by saying that it's so weird to me (in my own experience) the range of treatment you get from different doctors in regards to thyroid levels & testing.

My original PCP who diagnosed me needing thyroid supplementation always had me fast before my levels were checked (which was a big PITA when you're doing it frequently)...when I moved, my new PCP never has anyone fast for thyroid level checks (go figure) and I went from having them checked every 3 months to checking only every 6 months....then with OB, I had to remind them every month to check my levels or I swear they would never have checked them and that wasn't done fasting either. And all three of them had different levels of what they considered to be within normal range (beyond what the lab specifies) so one Dr liked to adjust meds to keep me under 1.2, other doctor is fine with anything below 2.0, etc.

So i don't know whether the fasting thing is just with some doctors, or if they truly do get better results that way, or if it's just the lab they use for the bloodwork. You'd think there'd be some consistency with it...but at least in my small experience not really...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
November 7th, 2011, 03:06 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
The doctor explained it to me that he gets better more acurate results of your Thyroid levels. Since I had Thyroid cancer they need to really watch them. Right now he checking them every 4 weeks but he said that might change.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search