do you use a sling or baby carrier?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you use a sling or baby carrier? Red wants to go buy me one today - he thinks it will help me free up a little of my time while still being able to be close to Scarlett.

What kind do you recommend? Did you use it around the house or just when out shopping?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

December 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I have an Infantino one that was given to me that I plan on using. I did not use one with DD and if you asked me a while ago I would have said I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one. But, I can't imagine how I will keep up with playing with DD and doing house work while holding an infant. I think it will really come in handy around the house, I probably wont wear it out shopping though. It's worth a try, she might love it and you can free up your arms for a while.

1/25/12

December 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
mom2moose
I have a carrier thing that straps to my chest. I use it when we go grocery shopping. Moose goes in the cart and Finn goes on my chest. Also, if we go for walks, that's how I carry him. It's nice to have free arms, but it kinda strains your back. I've heard the wraps are great, once you figure them out anyways.
December 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We have several that we use. I love my Baby K'tan It is pricier than the wraps, but so much easier to use and it helps me get so much done. Kieran gets worn at least an hour or two each day, he usually falls asleep in it.

I hated the "front carrier" kinds because I feel like they strain your back and shoulders, so I avoid those.

I will say, if you go with the K'tan, get a smaller size that the sizing chart says. I am not a small girl (you could not squeeze me into a small t-shirt to save my life) and yet my medium carrier is a little too big on me (and I am 5'10''). So if you would generally get a medium, get a small. Otherwise, I have no complaints. My babe weighs 16lbs today and carrying him in that I can do for hours without getting uncomfortable.
December 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
We used the Baby Bjorn, which I liked. BRU has a bunch on display that you can put on. I would go there and see which one you like the most then buy it for less somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I will say, if you go with the K'tan, get a smaller size that the sizing chart says. I am not a small girl (you could not squeeze me into a small t-shirt to save my life) and yet my medium carrier is a little too big on me (and I am 5'10''). So if you would generally get a medium, get a small. Otherwise, I have no complaints. My babe weighs 16lbs today and carrying him in that I can do for hours without getting uncomfortable.
Maybe they are unisex sizes, so it's probably a men's medium.
December 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love wraps for small babies--but they do have a learning curve. The K'tan that Ashlee mentioned is good for giving a good weight distribution (like a wrap) without the huge learning curve.

I like pouches, but usually not until the baby is old enough that you'd be carrying her on your hip anyway. And they're not good for extended periods of time--better for short runs into Target.
December 5th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We had a carrier and a sling, DH used the carrier (too big for me to use, I am only 5'1"ish) I can't for the life of me remember the brand, I had a sling that I used only when taking the dog out in the mornings, it helped to shield the wind and she usually fell asleep in it, but I had a hard time getting her in and out...I might try a different one. I have heard the Moby is great, but pricey. My sling came with a DVD for instructions...seriously? But, I needed it - haha! Again, can't remember the brand, but when I get home I can look

December 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Adam was a newborn we used a Moby wrap, and now that he's bigger we use an Ergo and love it. They are pricier but are mu h more comfortable and ergonomically correct for both you and baby. Infantino and Bjorn both do not support baby's hips and spine correctly, and they put stress on your shoulders as baby gets heavier too.

December 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we used a chico baby carrier, can't remember the name. I bought a Moby Wrap so that I can do stuff and still hold Alex. Loved it!

December 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hate my moby wrap, it's too much fabric and doesn't keep her snug. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ergo carrier, it's really expensive (about $145 when you add the infant insert which is needed til about 4-5 months) but it works so well and is incredibly comfortable! Plus it has good resale value, I will probably resell mine for about $100 when I'm all done with it.
December 5th, 2011, 06:02 PM
onedaysoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a Moby wrap and love it! It did take a couple of tried to get to the point where I have no problem putting it on, but DD loved it and DS loves it. Plus I find it very comfortable.

I had a cheap carrier when DD was first born, but man did that thing hurt my neck, shoulders and back!

Forever missing our angel November 9, 2010, with us for 9 weeks
~~~

December 5th, 2011, 06:05 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I had a wrap at first with DD and HATED It by the time I got her all wrapped up it seamed it was time to take her back out..lol
I am a sling person but that is because you can breastfeed while baby is in it.

Another questions is how does she like to be held? If she hates be be held laying down then a sling might not be for her until she is old enough to sit up in it.

I had a hand made ring sling with madison.

To be honest I did did not get much done with it because I always felt like she was in the way.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
December 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Sillylittlefishey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had several with my first (people just kept giving them to me), but I never cared for them...

December 6th, 2011, 05:30 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Did you find one you like Missy?

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

December 6th, 2011, 08:25 AM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
Did you go shopping for one? I am thinking about getting something when Baby comes.
December 6th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I bought a ring sling and Chloe and I both hate it. I can't get her to fit in there nicely, she always looks contorted and uncomfortable. I thought it would be a lifesaver but it was just a waste of money.

December 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Mamacc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tend to like carriers.... I want to get a Becco carrier this time around. I've heard a lot of good things about Becco and Ergo carriers.

December 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a ring sling which I've tried a couple times and isn't my favorite, but I think I need more practice. I also have a Moby wrap which me and Nora both LOVE. Everytime she's in it, she falls right asleep. It's great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search