For those further along tha had a NT scan

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Tell me all about it. My OB wants me to get it done in 3 weeks. He really wanted an anmio, but I refused it.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
It's just a ultrasound to measure things like the fold of skin on the neck and to check to see if there is a nasel bone to check for your risk of Down Syndrom. They also check out the head and spin to check for spinabifita. They check out the heart and I am sure other things I am forgetting.
They also tell you your odds of trisomy.

Its is not invasive like the amnio (I dont blame you I would refuse that too).

I had it done with this pregnancy and since I have MTHFR I run a high risk of a baby with Spinabifita, but all checked out great and it was so nice to see the baby on the ultrasound because they really look like a baby not just a blob on the screen.

Oh and they also do a blood test to check for these things.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
December 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Yeah, after having a loss, and knowing that an amnio can attribute to a loss, I will not have one unless completely necessary and I was much further along.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

December 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I did the NT scan both with this one and DS. It's totally no invasive, it's just a longer u/s. They measure everything and look for any markers for birth defects (not just Downs). NT stands fro nuchal translucency which is the fluid filled area in the back of the babies neck. You want it to be within a certain range at 11-13 weeks, otherwise it's a marker for Trisomy disorders (like Downs)

They also typically do blood work on you and then combine those results with the NT scan results to give you your risk of certain birth defects. It of course is not 100% but short of a CVS nothing much is. It at least gives you information and a better idea if more invasive testing is needed.
I'm a believer in them, when you are at risk. It allows you to be better prepared at birth.

December 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's an ultrasound (and usually a blood test, too). They need to measure a very specific spot on the baby (a neck fold, I think?). I've heard some women say that the ultrasound can take a while if the baby isn't in a good position to get the measurement. But other than that, nothing bad about the test itself.

Keep in mind that it's a screening, so it won't diagnose with certainty. You'll get a risk level as a result. And even if you get a result of elevated risk of something being wrong, you still have a very good chance that you have a perfectly healthy baby in there. Your doctor might try to pressure you again into an amnio if you do have elevated risk. But you could still refuse.
December 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I did NT scan with Savannah's pregnancy....it's easy peasy, just a long u/s but in super high def (waaay cooler than my OB's u/s machine) and my peri checked a whole bunch of things - the neck fold, maybe nasal bone too?, etc is the reason for the scan but he also checked the blood flow on the placenta, the cord, etc. i guess since we were already there.

We opted to combine with blood test (2 separate pulls done at 12-13 weeks & 16 weeks if i recall correctly). With the combination of those results + scan, our risk profile was so good (best possible w/in lab range, 1-10,000+) that we were advised not to do an amnio...we weren't planning on doing an amnio unless we got concerning results, but I personally think it's wise to do the NT scan first before deciding on amnio anyway...

Good luck whatever you decide to do Liz...I personally recommend NT scans from our own experience, but I understand why some don't want to do them and you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
December 27th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had one as well, completely non-invasive u/s, they do also do bloodwork with it, but nothing outside of the ordinary finger prick for that!

December 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm all for the scan, just not for the needle. If I must, I will but not risking something for nothing, KWIM? Regardless of what ever defects this baby could possibly have, it won't alter my outcome. It will only mean that I would have a special needs child who will require more attention. No big thing.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

December 27th, 2011, 12:19 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I just had one over a week ago. If it is covered by your insurance, and you just want to see the baby, I would do it. I really only had mine done though to check my cervix among other things. I got tons of cool pics with it and their machine was way better than my doctors. Ditto wht the other ladies said though, they measure the back of the neck and check for a nasal bone. They also check the spine and what not. I'd only get the amnio if they found something terribly wrong. That needle scares me. I do believe Missy had an amnio though, and Scarlette is a beautiful baby now!

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
December 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Mamacc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't blame you for not wanting an amnio without a medical reason for it. Did your doc say why he wanted you to do it?

December 28th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The NT scan is non invasive and doesn't have any of the risks of amnio. As PP said it is just a blood test (finger prick at that) combined with u/s measurements to detect your risk of Downs and other Trisomies. It is NOT diagnostic, just measures your risk, so if you are at a higher risk then you might want to consider CVS or amnio, but in most cases this rules out most risk before you have to do the more invasive tests.

Just to mention one thing from above - this test does not actually measure risk of spina bifida or other NTD unless they are combined with a Trisomy. But the risk of a Trisomy is higher if you have an undetected NTD. I had a pregnancy with severe spina bifida last year so this time I was hoping they could check early at the NT scan to avoid the hell we went through with the first, but they can't as the spine isn't developed enough to really see on u/s at that point. Instead for me, and anyone else that knows they have the MTHFR mutation, they did the anatomy scan early at 18 weeks.

December 28th, 2011, 06:37 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are worried about neural tube defects, the quad screen is a screening test that can show if there is elevated risk for that. It's a blood test done between 16 and 18 weeks that screens for NTD and trisomys. It's not as accurate as the NT and can be thrown off if the pregnancy isn't dated correctly.

I'm not sure how frequently it's used anymore now that the NT is more common. I know with my son's pregnancy the quad screen was offered but with my daughter the NT was offered.
December 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Honestly, I'm not worried about any of this, but the doctor is because of my age. I'm 34 soon to be 35 and he's treating me like I'm broken or something.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

December 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Honestly, I'm not worried about any of this, but the doctor is because of my age. I'm 34 soon to be 35 and he's treating me like I'm broken or something.
"Advanced Maternal Age" - great way of saying, we think you are old...I hate that! My friend who had a baby last June, always joked about that, because she was "AMA", she would say, medically I am old to have a baby, but these days, we know that to be untrue, I wish they would stop using that term and acting like it's a bad thing. They do use it because it's medically been shown to have higher risk just because of age, but it doesn't ever necessarily mean anything.

I am with you, I only had the 1st trimester screen because I wanted to be knowledgeable if anything were to be found with my baby, we could use that knowledge to better educate ourselves before baby was born, it wouldn't have changed our view on the baby either way. But, I think most of the women on this board feel that same way. I would definitely opt for the NT over the amnio, especially if your insurance pays for it, it gives you the added bonus of seeing bean again in a better u/s!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search