PAP Abnormal?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This afternoon I got a phone call from the OB's office, my PAP came back abnormal. She said its no reason to worry, it could be anything, but I am wondering if anyone has had an abnormal PAP before. They are doing a colposcopy on the 16th to see what further treating or no treating.

December 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I had one back in 2007. My biopsy came back as precancerous cells. I had to have a LEEP procedure to remove the bad cells. That is why they are watching me with this pregnancy now because LEEPS or anything surgical along the cervix can cause problems. So far so good with my cervix though. All my other paps have come back normal since then.

My sister had an abnormal pap also 2 years ago after she had her daughter. She also had a LEEP for the same reason as me. Each subsequent pap still had bad cells, so she had another LEEP, which led to major complications and heavy bleeding. She had to be rushed to the hospital, given blood, and then rushed into surgery to correct the bleeding. They had to remove a lot of her cervix, so she went ahead and tied her tubes because of it. She was afraid of ever getting pregnant again.

On the other hand, your biopsy could come back normal. I hope you get good news!

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
December 30th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyE117 View Post

My sister had an abnormal pap also 2 years ago after she had her daughter. She also had a LEEP for the same reason as me. Each subsequent pap still had bad cells, so she had another LEEP, which led to major complications and heavy bleeding. She had to be rushed to the hospital, given blood, and then rushed into surgery to correct the bleeding. They had to remove a lot of her cervix, so she went ahead and tied her tubes because of it. She was afraid of ever getting pregnant again.
Ok, that was scary I think they won't do that procedure because I'm pg and she said that you tend to bleed more when pg, so they would have to wait until after the baby is born.

December 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I would consider my sister almost the worst case scenario for an abnormal pap (the only thing worse would be full blown cancer). Really I blame her doctor for not being able to get it all out in the first place. Not only that, she screwed up pretty bad the second time around and caused the severe bleeding. My doctor years ago was able to get it all in one swipe, and all of my doctors say my cervix does not even look like it has had a LEEP. I do have a shorter cervix than usual because of it, but it is still well within the normal range.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
December 30th, 2011, 07:49 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not done a pap with my last three baby's. I always do my pap's at my 6wk pp visit. I had a pap that was abnormal and did the biopsy during one of my pregnancy's that happened to m/c, and although it was not the cause, it just left me with one of those "what if's". I did not need a LEEP after the biopsy was done, just followed me more close for next year. I did spot a bit after the biopsy, but that could of been the beginning of the m/c that happened anyway. The dr. at the time told me that spotting was normal afterward, so dont be alarmed if you do spot some.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

December 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the biopsy done in one of my pregnancy's that ended in early m/c. Since then, I have never had a pap during a pregnancy. My last three pregnancy's, I have had my pap's done at my 6wk pp visit. With that said, the biopsy did not cause the m/c, but left me with one of those "what if's". I did not need a leep after that biopsy, just followed up with pap's every 3mo for 1yr. I did spot some after the procedure was done, and my dr. did warn me that it was common. (since PAL was hard enough, that's why I decided not to do pap's during pg's). I tend to think that being pg makes your cervical changes more apparent anyway...

My first dr. who delivered my first 3, did not even bother doing pap's until the baby was at least 3mo old.....giving the cervix a chance to heal and get back to the pre-pregnancy state.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

December 31st, 2011, 04:48 AM
kzoo1280's Avatar Kristin...TTC #1!
On the other end of the spectrum...I had an abnormal PAP a few years ago, had a colposcopy done, and the results came back completely normal. I did not need to have any follow up procedures and have not had an abnormal PAP since. I think sometimes cells just look a bit weird. Fingers crossed it's nothing!

Married May 2009

December 31st, 2011, 06:59 AM
Veteran
When I was pg with my twins, I had a pap done that came back abnormal. They did the colposcopy which showed precancerous cells. She wanted to do another colpo later in my pg to monitor everything and then do a biopsy after they were born, but my girls were born before she could do anything else. I refused to go back to that office bc of them congratulating me on the birth of my twins (who passed away mind you) amongst many, many other things.

At my first appt with this baby, they did the pelvic exam which included a pap and I told her what had happened and what their plan of action was. Guess what......my pap came back NORMAL!! I have heard that if you deliver vaginally, it can clear away old, bad, cells....idk, but I love to think that my babies made me better!!!

Maybe it's nothing!! I remember the stress, but try to stay calm

December 31st, 2011, 08:54 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an abnormal pap about 10 years ago. They did the culposcopy and that came back abnormal, so they did paps every 3 months for a year. The first 2 came back abnormal and the last 2 came back perfect. I haven't had an abnormal pap since.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

December 31st, 2011, 12:40 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
[QUOTE=LindseyE117;25397605]I had one back in 2007. My biopsy came back as precancerous cells. I had to have a LEEP procedure to remove the bad cells. That is why they are watching me with this pregnancy now because LEEPS or anything surgical along the cervix can cause problems. So far so good with my cervix though. All my other paps have come back normal since then.

Ditto for me. Mine was in 2005. I didn't have any issues with my first pregnancy except that during labor the scar tissue prevented me from dialating and had to be manually removed in order for labor to progress. They are watching mine again this time and it say it looks like "the cervix of steel"

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
December 31st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an abnormal pap about five years ago... they did a biopsy and everything came back fine. Every pap since then has been normal. The doc thought it was probably HPV, but there was never anything definite...

January 3rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Sillylittlefishey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an abnormal pap as well and had to have the colposcopy...it came back with some cells that didn't look good they gave me an option of continuing to repeat the procedure watching things or have the LEEP...I hated the process of the colposcopy so I had the LEEP. It turns out the cells were worse than my doctor thought so it was a good thing we got rid of them. I did have to go in for weekly cervical checks with my last pregnancy from 16-28 weeks because of the LEEP, but I didn't have any problems.

January 4th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an abnormal PAP many years ago (over 10). I'm pretty sure all they did for me was repeat the test and it came back normal. I haven't had an abnormal result since then.

January 4th, 2012, 07:30 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I've had two come back abnormal- all I did was a repeat both times and they came back normal.

January 4th, 2012, 09:00 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I had one when I was 17 and it turned out to be precancerous cells. I ended up getting a cloposopy (sp) they froze off part of the cervix with the bad cells. I was afraid I would have issues after, but never did. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 4th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I'm wondering if the abnormal PAP is because I was spotting when they did it. I go on the 16th, so we'll see what they say. I'm trying not to worry.

January 4th, 2012, 09:20 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I've had 2 come back abnormal. Then had a repeat one and they were fine. So try not to get too worried about it

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search