Ultrasound yesterday. Confused (x-posted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2moose
  • 1 Post By tobi4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
We had a good ultrasound yesterday with the high risk Ob. Although now I am confused. I should be 30 weeks and 5 days yesterday. Cody is measuring 33 weeks and 0 days. Although his head is measuring 35 weeks. I asked the doctor if there is anything wrong since his head is measuring 35 weeks and rest of him is only measuring 33 weeks. He said no that Cody is just a big baby. Cody weights 4 pounds 6 oz. This shocked me. Now the part that I am confused is that when I see my regular Ob and they use the tape measure they always say I am measuring right on track with my due date. With the measurments they took yesterday they are saying my due date went from May 18th to Mary 2nd. Cody has always measured ahead since the first ultrasound I had. His heartrate is 150 which is where he usually stays. My Placenta is still Anterior but ends away from the cervical. He siad my fluid is notmral. Fetal Growth Large for gestational age. Since I see my regular ob on Monday they gave me a report to give my regular Ob. The high risk Ob released me yesterday since he said Cody is doing good. I kind of wish he wouldn't have released me. Should I be worried about Cody's head being 35 weeks when the rest of him is only 33 weeks. I am going to bring all this up with my regualar ob and try to get another ultrasound from them. Also Cody is Breech. Although he said there is time for him to turn.

Another reason why I am confused is I know when I got a postive OPK and I know about when we conceived Cody. Although those dates have been thrown out the window since the first ultrasoun.
March 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I had my Level II a couple of months ago, my baby's measurements were all over the place, the head was measuring at a different gestational age from the legs, which were measuring differently from the arms, etc. Try not to worry, baby's grow at different rates now...maybe this will help ease your mind, when a baby is born, it doesn't weigh the exact same as another baby that might be the same length, they all have different %'s for each measurement, same case here, they are growing at different weights. There are babies born at 19 inches weighing 8 lbs and babies born at 19 inches weighing 6.5 lbs, but there isn't anything wrong with either baby, one is just chubbier than the other

I hope this helps to ease your mind, still bring it up with your doc, just so they can try and ease your mind too.

At this point, dates are all over the place, I would be surprised if your OB changed your due date, they usually go with one of the earlier measurements because they are much more accurate.

March 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM
mom2moose
As for the breech, he has plenty of time to turn. Also, u/s's aren't always that great at predicting baby size. For Finn, I was measuring big the whole time. Got an u/s and they said he was almost 7 pounds. I had him a week later and he was 8 pounds 13 ounces. Obviously, the u/s wasn't even close. Also, he came 3 weeks "early". I also know when I conceived. (Helps that it was the only time we had sex that month. LOL) When they're done cooking, they are done. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.
humnck likes this.
March 15th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I really don't trust all those ultrasound measurements. They always had Akadia measuring bigger than she was. At my last ultrasound, they told me she was at least 9 pounds and they had me totally freaking out. It's part of how they got me to agree to an induction when I was a week late. Well, she was no where near 9 pounds - 7 lbs 11 oz. I've heard of that happening a lot.

March 15th, 2012, 11:05 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
My son measured big at the later u/s and freaked me out. His measurements were also all over the place. He showed up at 8 pounds even at 39 weeks . Those measurements can be so off at this stage of the game and weight can be up to a pound on either side. I wouldn't worry much about the u/s at this point for measuring and gestational age. Only a few more weeks and you will see his beautiful face in person .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Those measurements are really not very accurate! At 34 weeks they told me that Peter weighed 9 ish pounds! He was born at 36 weeks at 7.5 pounds.. So still really big for being 4 weeks early but not NEARLY as huge as they thought. baby heads are just big too. Peter's head has always been bugger than everything else, and still is!

March 15th, 2012, 12:34 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I would not worry either. Kieran has a big head...and Liam's was teeny! They both were good size for gestation (they tried to change kierans date many times, but I know exactly when he was conceived and knew it was impossible for him to have been any further along). But I remember Liam's legs were very long and kierans were not. And that was funny because when they were born...Liam was 19.5 inches and kieran was 21.5. So they obviously had very different proportions. My measurements were never far off, although my mom was told two days before she had my brother that he was 7lbs and he was born at 9lbs, 7oz! So those measurements basically mean nothing! It is very hard to tell fat distribution (making the guess smaller than real) or true length (making it larger than real). Plus, at the stage you are now, them measuring his head just a 1/4 inch larger than actual would jump the "gestation" up a ton! Even once they are born, the head measurement is only a couple inches from 0% to 99%. Most babies are between 13 and 16...so you can imagine how just a 1/4 inch makes a big difference in percentiles.

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
March 15th, 2012, 12:40 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would try not to worry. U/s can definitely be off. With Aiden they were always commenting on how huge he was. His head always measured way ahead of my EDD and his body was ahead too. They swore right before he was born that he was 10lbs, and he was 7lbs11oz. With DD her head always measured ahead of my EDD. The day she was born they told me she was 5lbs. Turns out she was 6lbs10oz. With the twins Keagan always measured more than 3 weeks ahead of my due date. He wound up just being a big boy - 6lbs2oz at 33w6d. Aiden, Maryella, and Keagan all just have big heads to this day. My guess is that it's a combination of the u/s being off and Cody being a big boy.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

March 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I agree with the other ladies. If he was measuring weeks behind and not ahead then I might freak out. But the fact that he seems to really like it in there and is thriving so well is good.
Also later in pregnancy ultrasounds are not very acurate. Its hard to measure a leg or arm when they are all squished.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
those measurements are so not reliable at this point. Both my boys measured "ahead" by a few weeks, and I was told to expect 9+ pound babies, they were both nice little 7 pounders.

don't fret, science is good, but not that good

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
The measurements they give you aren't really that accurate. My best friend had her ultrasound at 34 weeks and they kept telling her that her son was going to be huge and that she was measuring 37 weeks. She had another one at 36 weeks and they told her he was already measuring 8 lbs. They induced her a week later and he was born weighing 5lbs 11oz. So trust me don't just go by that. I'm sorry that they have you confused.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

March 16th, 2012, 08:25 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Since we already talked about this on fb, Im just going to say Go with the flow, count on him coming around your original due date, and just stop worrying! He is PERFECT!
missy123 likes this.

[/url
March 17th, 2012, 11:15 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah... they told me Scarlett was weighing in at 9+lbs and she was born 7lbs 10oz. It is not an exact science. If something was wrong your high risk doctor would never have released you!!

Not too much longer and he will be here!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 18th, 2012, 07:42 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 2nd. son was a 1wk late and the dr. delivering him said right before he came out, he was gonna be 'EXTREMELY SMALL". They had done several growth u/s's in my 7 and 8th month......saying he would be under 5lbs at birth..............THEY ALMOST DROPPED HIM WHEN HE CAME OUT AT 10LBS.......they were not ready for a big baby, lol. My First and 4th baby's had extremely large German heads, over 100% for girth. I had u/s's on both their heads several times during the first year after birth, they were normal, just big heads! Now they look very normal, not big at all!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search