Toxoplasmosis Worry?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
So the general rule about toxoplasmosis is that you aren't suppose to handle cat litter/change it right? Well we are watching some kittens now (they are about a 1week 1/2) and I have handled them some - just because I guess the kittens are too darn cute. Anyways I have always tried to make sure to wash my hands well after handling them and not touch my face. I didn't actually clean any litter but was nearby when someone was.

I also did some gardening today, I used gardening gloves and tried to steer clear of any soil in the face, I also washed well after that. I am super worried I may have this parasite now though, I heard you can get a blood test for it - I am thinking about asking my doctor for one.

So what should I do? Has anyone run into this problem?

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
March 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I have 2 cats and I handled them my whole pregnancy and I didn't get anything. I know that it is actually pretty rare in cats and if the cat doesn't have it you can change the litter and everything while pregnant. If you were good with washing and not touching your face, you should be fine. If you are that worried, it doesn't hurt to ask for the blood test from your OB.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There is a blood test and I'm sure it won't hurt to ask for it... I handled my cat and changed the litter with many of my pregnancies and never had it...

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

March 18th, 2012, 06:15 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was told by my midwife as long as the cat isn't an out door cat and doesn't eat things like mice and such their is no real risk of toxoplasmosis.

I have always done gardening and such during my pregnancies, with no issues.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I also have two cats and I don't worry about it. I just make sure that I don't handle the littler box. I've had cats for two pregnancies now and that has never been an issue.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

March 18th, 2012, 08:58 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my boys I changed the cat litter - back then no one told me not to With Scarlett the boys changed the cat litter but I still snuggled with my furbabies all the time. I would say wear gloves (you can even buy the disposable ones) and wash your hands.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Ditto the other ladies! If your worried about it, it never hurts to have the blood test to ease your mind.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search