Had my first appt today! (updated with third betas and appt for US)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By Pitridge
  • 1 Post By mollymalone
  • 1 Post By .:Shortcake:.
  • 1 Post By *SamF*
  • 1 Post By humnck
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By LindseyE117
  • 1 Post By JessP
  • 1 Post By humnck
  • 1 Post By lindsey2000k
  • 1 Post By missy123
  • 1 Post By Hopefulpinkangel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Today was my first prenatal appt. It went well! My last first pre-natal appt turned into a discussion about how I was likely to miscarry, so I was nervous and DH came with me. This one was much better and probably what a first prenatal appt is supposed to be like!

I had to have a pap today, which made me nervous, but I let the doctor do it. DH left the room for that part. He didn't want to see that even though he was at the other end.

We discussed the prenatal testing options, but since I'm nervous about this pregnancy she suggested I wait until after we hear the heartbeat before reading the literature and coming to a decision. I have to talk to DH but I think I'm okay with doing the blood testing, but no amnio. I'm not sure, though. I know I'm definitely against having an amnio.

The doctor gave me the same spiel as I got over the phone about the progesterone. However, I told the doctor about how I was so nervous about my loss point that I spent the day in bed and that it makes me nervous that the progesterone was lower. She said that if it'll make me feel better she'd go ahead and prescribe progesterone or continue to test my progesterone for me, but she also said that there is a point where too much information is also going to scare me. I said I'd take the Prometrium.

She wants to give me reassurance of hearing the heartbeat and said that we'd likely be able to pick it up on ultrasound by the end of this week or beginning of next week. When the nurse calls me to give me my beta results tomorrow we're supposed to schedule the first ultrasound. The doctor wants to avoid bringing me in too early because she said that can create its own set of worries if we don't hear it, so I'm thinking that we may have our first ultrasound late next week!

I also had six vials of blood drawn for my prenatal blood workup.

I got little sleep last night and decided to take today off work, so now I'm home relaxing. I'm glad I took the day off now since the doctor did a pap! I still haven't let DH have sex with me because I want to wait until after the first ultrasound to make sure everything is taking hold the way it's supposed to!

for good betas tomorrow so I can hear my rainbow's heartbeat next week!!!
missy123 and Cait&AngelAbove like this.

Last edited by Belita; March 20th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
March 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so happy you had such a great first appointment!!!!! I would also wait until end of week to schedule your first u/s, by them you should be able to see a h/b.
Belita likes this.

March 19th, 2012, 12:22 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like your doctor is pretty on top of things. It's reassuring to read your posts and to know that we are pretty much right at the same spot all the way. I wish you the best of luck in the coming weeks with your betas... and your ultrasound!!!
Belita likes this.

March 19th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks, ladies!

March 19th, 2012, 06:19 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Robyn it sounds like you have a wonderful doctor and a wonderful appointment! I'm glad you got the prometrium I have everything crossed that your beta looks wonderful and how exciting that your going to be able to have an ultrasound hopefully next week
Belita likes this.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

March 20th, 2012, 06:13 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Great appointment and your doctor sounds great! Very compassionate!
Belita likes this.

March 20th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Any word on those betas? I have everything crossed that you are able to have that ultrasound next week...so exciting

ANd so happy that you had an awesome appt!!
Belita likes this.

March 20th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Third betas are in!!!

hCG: 6,634 (right where it should be!)
progesterone was down again at 13.79

I picked up my Prometrium today and have started it. I am so glad that I pushed for that progesterone check last week and that I asked for the Prometrium yesterday!

My first ultrasound is next Thursday at 1pm! I'm so excited! DH is going to take a half day from work and go with me.

Ladies who have used Prometrium, what was your dosage? From what I've heard it sounds like my doctor gave me a high dose. I'm supposed to take 200mg vaginally twice per day. That's a total of 400mg daily. Does that sound about right or does it sound high?
Pitridge likes this.

March 20th, 2012, 07:21 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Robyn I'm glad your betas are where they should be! And I'm really glad your starting the prometrium and that you pushed for it. It sounds like a good dosage and is what I was on when taking the suppositories. Some advice for using them is plan to stay in bed for 30 minutes once you insert it and also wear a panty liner.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

March 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I took the progeterone suppositories at 200mg once a day. When I was doing IVF it was 200mg twice a day and a 1cc shot of PIO. Sounds like a higher dose, but it won't hurt anything! Yay!! KUP on your u/s!
Belita likes this.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
March 20th, 2012, 07:38 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
So glad you had a good first appointment and you dr is so willing to do what is needed to help you feel at ease. Glad your betas are so good and you have your first u/s scheduled.
Belita likes this.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 21st, 2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am very pleased with my doctor. What most of you don't know is that she was unsympathetic when I had my loss (didn't even say she was sorry for our loss) and I planned to switch OBs. But when I had concerns about spotting with my first post-loss AF, she was right on top of trying to figure out why and I decided to give her a second chance. I'm glad I did now!

I'm nervous, but excited for next Thursday!

March 21st, 2012, 06:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sometimes doctor's are just immune to the sadness, because, sadly, they see so many losses. I am glad you gave her a second chance, she better be good to you

Yay for great beta's! And for an u/s appt!!
missy123 likes this.

March 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Glad to hear all is going well.
This preganncy started out with my progestrone only at 10. I did prometrium 100mg at night until 13 weeks
Belita likes this.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
400mg sounds a little high but I don't think it will hurt anything. I am glad you took charge and requested the progesterone! Ditto what Katie said - the stuff drips sometimes. And as an FYI - the side effects from the progesterone are a kicker sometimes. After 3 days of taking them I was in full blown morning sickness. (but then again everyone is different)

Grow, bean, Grow!!
Belita likes this.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 22nd, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hopefulpinkangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is exactly what my doc prescribed 200mg twice a day vaginally. My progesterone was super scary low at 4.4. I'm glad you pressed for it, I am a huge promoter of prometrium for obvious reasons. So happy for you!!
Belita likes this.

Jan 2010 August 2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search