Those with younger children

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How are you preparing them for the arrival of the new addition? For those that have gone through it already, how did you do it? I heard getting a doll and letting them take care of it. I need ideas, I don't think DS is going to respond well to having a brother or sister.

March 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
Well I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I heard reassuring them they won't be forgotten or ignored when the baby comes is important. But also explaining the baby will need alot of attention too, but that's all I know really.

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
March 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Mine are older so they are looking forward to having a little on in the house. I make sure to include them in anything that is preparing for the baby. They like to go and play in his room, help me pick out clothes, touch my belly, talk to him, etc.. I try to make them feel like this is all of our baby and not just mine if that makes any sense.

When I was pregnant with my DD though, my son was just 1 years old. I just kept telling him about the baby and letting him rub my belly. When she got here I let him "hold" her and love on her. He got it in time. Now they fight all the time.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
March 27th, 2012, 10:37 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I'm not sure if this is an option or not but my sister had my cousin come over a few times with her newborn. She held the baby and also kept telling my niece that her new baby brother was going to be that small. Also once the baby arrives asking them to help you do things I think helps as well. Example is when you need to change the baby's diaper ask the older sibling to get one and bring it to you. Also set aside some time to have one on one time with the sibling even if it's a 30 minute time when the baby is napping. Hope that helps hun!

PS. I know that when my sister had my newest nephew when I got the baby something I also bought both the other kids something little. That way they did not feel left out.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Expecting my baby boy May 9th
Emergency cerclage put in 12/24

March 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Makenna loves reading books. We bought her a book called "I'm a big sister" and read it to her frequently. We talked about how "baby brother" was coming home soon and how when he came home he would go everywhere with us (trying to get into her head that it was a 24-hour thing, not just a visit). We also visted my SIL when she had her new baby not too long before. Makenna actually got confused thinking THAT was baby brother. To her, all babies were"baby brother".

We got Makenna a gift FROM baby brother. It was waiting for her when she woke up the day my water broke and we had to leave before she even woke up (one of the hardest things I've had to do. I didn't want to leave her. I knew we would be in the hospital for a few days. Since I went 2 1/2 weeks early, I hadn't been talking as much as I wanted to about being gone for a couple of days because I thought it was still far away.

Good luck with Alex.

March 28th, 2012, 11:55 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I tell Josiah each week how big the baby is in my tummy... he was delighted that it was the size of a strawberry this week because it is his favorite food! He kept saying, "Aww, silly mommy! The baby isn't a STRAWBERRY!!" He already tries to talk to baby through my belly button, and likes to pat my tummy. Just continuing to mention baby in our every day conversations seems to be getting him used to the idea. He actually is really excited. He was to the point where he was asking for a baby brother or sister when we got pregnant this time around, because we have a lot of friends who have babies that he gets to be around on a regular basis. If you have friends or acquaintances with babies, letting your LO be around them as much as possible is really helpful in preparing them IMO. Other than that, I have no ideas!!! I think in the end, it is a kind of tough transition for everyone no matter how well you try to prepare. You're totally changing your family dynamic when you add a little person to the mix!!

March 29th, 2012, 05:18 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mia was under a 1yr old when pregnant and just 14mo old when Selena was born. I did let her touch my belly and kept telling her baby was in there, but she had no clue, lol. She would slap my belly roughly and run away. Selena is now 5mo old and has been slapped, punched, bitten, you name it! Its a process for sure, but Mia adores her sister for the most part. Lately all she does is kiss her and hug her.....and hold her hand and dances with her when Micky Mouse is on!

When my second son was born, my first was 2yrs old. He did better with his little brother, but still needed lots of Mommy time. I remember him being more aware of his brother in my tummy, cause he would try and push grapes through my belly button to share his snack with the baby. I can say that once they get here, it all falls into place.....I dont think there's much you can do to prepare them at this age for a sibiling....but he will get it quickly!
momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

March 29th, 2012, 05:33 AM
mom2moose
Moose is 3.5 and we kept telling her a new baby was coming and stuff but really, I don't think she really "got it" until she came to the hospital to see him. She ignores him completely. (Although that's getting harder now that he crawls and chases her. LOL) She's also asked a few times if we could bring him back to the doctor. LOL She is just starting to kind of play with him, and she gets mad when he touches her stuff. LOL
March 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have been talking about baby and how she will be a big help when baby comes, helping feed baby, change baby, picking out baby's clothes, etc. She loves to help with my niece who is 4 months old. I know it will be different, because this baby will share mommy and space, but we try to talk about it. I have also signed her up for a "Hello, Baby" class for siblings expecting babies...

We are going to try and do some Reagan only things in the weeks leading up to baby and keep up with having special time with her without baby, once the LO is here as well. It's important to let them know that baby will need attention, but also to give them attention and remember that they are little too and don't understand everything that is baby. I know the biggest thing will be patience with her She loves to touch all over babies when she is around them...this baby may not make it past a week without lots of germies! LOL!

March 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I tell Alex about the baby I show him pictures (U/S), but he thinks its him He sometimes will hug my belly but mostly he just slap it runs away. He's also a very rough kid, so when he likes to lay on me, he will start kicking the belly. We have taking him to an u/s but he didn't care about it.
I thought about the book but I would have to find it in Spanish, since I only talk to him in Spanish, and I am the one that reads to him.
Thanks for the suggestions.

March 29th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Here is one in spanish

Amazon.com: I'm a Big Brother (Spanish edition): Soy un hermano mayor (9780061900662): Joanna Cole, Rosalinda Kightley: Books

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

March 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM
WOW Katie You are so proactive! Thank you!!!!!!!!!
I was wondering how long it was going to take me to find a book in Spanish.

March 29th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitridge View Post
WOW Katie You are so proactive! Thank you!!!!!!!!!
I was wondering how long it was going to take me to find a book in Spanish.
Aww your welcome dear That one was pretty easy to find and it seems to have good reviews!

March 29th, 2012, 09:46 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We just kept talking to them when we were pregnant. With my second child my daughter was to little to really understand what was going on. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search