Breastfeeding.

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree32Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 01:02 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding? If you really want to succeed, commit to EBF-ing for at least 4 weeks. It takes AT LEAST that long for your body to regulate the supply that is demanded by baby, and it takes baby and you that long to really be in sync with each other. If you have a baby born premature, or with a weak latch, or you have supply issues, it may be really difficult in the beginning, and it may not work out long term. BUT... just remember that however long you BF, it is a GIFT! I highly recommend the silicone gel pads for the boobies the first few weeks, and lansinoh nipple cream. My biggest challenge early on was just with how sore my nipples got.
Tips for going from breast to pump? If you can still do some nursing sessions at the breast, that is best (maybe first thing in the morning, and nighttime). Also, I have read some research lately that suggests it is important to try to feed pumped milk that is from the same TIME OF DAY that baby will be eating, because your milk actually is formulated differently at different times of the day, with sleep inducing properties closer to bedtime, etc. Just thought that was interesting, because I had never considered that before. I did well with the Lansinoh double electric pump... I liked that you could change the suction strength AND speed... it helped me achieve let-down.
What was your breastfeeding experience?Josiah was breast-fed for 41 months! We had a wonderful breast-feeding experience.
Tips for storing milk?Lansinoh bags all the way. And I preferred to freeze it in 4oz batches (once beyond the newborn stage). Once he was taking some solids, I froze some of it in 2 oz batches so that I could thaw a small portion of milk to mix with his cereals and purees. Here is a good article on storage guidelines:
Storage and Handling of Breastmilk
Jakaira s Mom likes this.

April 12th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitridge View Post
Did they ever suggested a nipple shield? With my son he also had tongue tie, the LC suggested a nipple shield and it work perfectly, no sore nipple, nothing.
I did try one and it didn't really help much. The LC told me that if it doesn't dramatically help to not use it, since it can affect supply and the way the baby suckles.
April 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding?
Like others have said, if you commit, you can do it. There are all kinds of problems that can occur but there is usually a way to surpass them. Definitely get the help of a lactation consultant but also get your hubby to commit, too. My husband didn't let me give up when I was about to with my first son. In the hospital, I was away from my baby for 2 days and he had to have formula while in I was ICU but the lactation consultants were persistent. They brought me bottles and my pump and checked in with me EVERY day to make sure that things were going well. If it weren't for both of them, there were times when I would have given up.

Tips for going from breast to pump? Like everyone said, nurse then pump.

What was your breastfeeding experience? For my first son, it was painful and I had some PPD but when I grew more confident that he was eating well, it was a beautiful and fulfilling thing. From day one with my new little guy, it has been relaxing and even more fulfilling because can't afford formula. For example, this morning, he ate a little and then popped off and gave me a smile and then popped back on. Cute as a can be! And the boob is miraculous for putting him to sleep, too!

Tips for storing milk?
I did it in the mornings about an hour after he ate because the supply is more in the morning and he would go 2-3 hours at first. You will have milk within an hour of nursing or pumping so if you space it so that you pump at least an hour before the baby eats, you can increase your supply, feed the baby, and store some. I also added a pumping session in the middle of the night.
L-SBB likes this.
April 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by NsMommy View Post
Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding?
Like others have said, if you commit, you can do it. There are all kinds of problems that can occur but there is usually a way to surpass them. Definitely get the help of a lactation consultant but also get your hubby to commit, too. My husband didn't let me give up when I was about to with my first son. In the hospital, I was away from my baby for 2 days and he had to have formula while in I was ICU but the lactation consultants were persistent. They brought me bottles and my pump and checked in with me EVERY day to make sure that things were going well. If it weren't for both of them, there were times when I would have given up.
I couldn't agree with this more - DH gives me all the credit for how long I BF Savannah, but I honestly give him a LOT of the credit...at my lowest, most exhausted moments especially when I was sick and I wanted to give up, he'd give me a pep talk about what a great job I was doing and he helped me every way he could, right down to packing my pumping bag every morning
Pitridge likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do also think having DH support is very important. My DH did not give support but was unsupported either, in some way he didn't seem to care one way or another, which it made it hard on those days that I wanted to quit, he would just say, then quit, thank goodness I had a great support group in the pumping board, if it wasn't for those girls, I probably would off not made it to 18 months

April 13th, 2012, 10:05 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I had issues both times before, I'm hoping I don't have them again. If no issues then I will do it. If I have issues then I'm OK with formula feeding too. I just hope I can do it this time around.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

April 19th, 2012, 09:29 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
I just want to jump in and say I think it is great for all of the ladies who did not have issues.

I tried.....had a good LC.....had the Medela pump .wonderful support from my husband...and could not do it. My mind set was there....the supply wasn't.

the main thing I want to tell you and anyone else who may not be able to or chooses not to.....It is OK .....never let anyone make you feel like a bad mom....
do what is best for you and your baby....It isn't always easy, or comfortable....some babies have a tough time latching, and get frustrated...which in turn frustrates mom....and it is still OK

My daughter was FF and when I tell you....thrived....and still is thriving.....
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do

April 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee68 View Post
I just want to jump in and say I think it is great for all of the ladies who did not have issues.

I tried.....had a good LC.....had the Medela pump .wonderful support from my husband...and could not do it. My mind set was there....the supply wasn't.

the main thing I want to tell you and anyone else who may not be able to or chooses not to.....It is OK .....never let anyone make you feel like a bad mom....
do what is best for you and your baby....It isn't always easy, or comfortable....some babies have a tough time latching, and get frustrated...which in turn frustrates mom....and it is still OK

My daughter was FF and when I tell you....thrived....and still is thriving.....
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do
That's reassuring to hear, so many women will feel guilty or not as good of a mother if they ultimately have to go on formula.

I know BFing is much cheaper and usually healthier - but there wouldn't be a formula market out there if it was so easy for everyone!

I hope I don't have any issues breastfeeding my daughter - I am really unsure about it all - but I will do my best.
dee68 likes this.

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
April 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Super Mommy
everyone has very good suggestions. I also used the Lansinoh double electric pump and bags. I found it very good and it would work on batteries or plugged in, which was a huge plus for me when I was out in the field for work.

I also second the nipple cream. it made a HUGE difference for me! If i forgot to put it on, i could definately tell the difference.

I just wanted to say too that if you do need to suppliment, don't think that it means BF is over. the first night we had DS he just kept wanting to nurse and finally would suck for a few seconds and then realized he wasn't getting anything and would scream. we asked for a bottle. litterally less then 1/2 oz is what he ate and was full and went right to sleep. that was the only bottle he ever had and I was so glad that we gave it to him. I feel like sometimes people push the "breastfeed full time" too hard and make you feel bad for a little suppliment, but it's not the end of the world.

good luck with it! just don't be afraid to ask questions. my fav BF website is Kellymom.com its got lots of useful info.
dee68 and L-SBB like this.
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
April 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmom View Post

I just wanted to say too that if you do need to suppliment, don't think that it means BF is over. the first night we had DS he just kept wanting to nurse and finally would suck for a few seconds and then realized he wasn't getting anything and would scream. we asked for a bottle. litterally less then 1/2 oz is what he ate and was full and went right to sleep. that was the only bottle he ever had and I was so glad that we gave it to him. I feel like sometimes people push the "breastfeed full time" too hard and make you feel bad for a little suppliment, but it's not the end of the world.
I'm glad you mentioned this b/c I should have too...I was induced and as a result my milk didn't come in for 10 days - and we did ultimately need to supplement Savannah in the first week due to weight loss (beyond normal/ok amount) and jaundice complications. While not ideal, it does not have to impact your ability to BF - you may have to work a little more to preserve & grow your milk supply (in my case, my supply wasn't impacted at all) so don't give up even if you end up in a supplementation situation!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
BFing is not for everyone and don't let anyone make you feel like less of a mom because you had to either supplement or decided to go with formula instead of BFing. Sometimes there are more problem than solutions and formula might be a better way to go. It is important that mom is happy, it will make for a happy baby.
dee68 and L-SBB like this.

Last edited by Pitridge; April 20th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
April 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not able to BF for medical reasons, but I wish you all the luck in the world!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

April 20th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
When I switched over to pumping, I had to supplement until I built my supply up more. It didn't stunt Akadia's growth any. She's still in the 97th percentile for everything.

April 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
wow, these women and their info always impress me!!
Dr Jack Newman is a breastfeeding expert. Look him up and if you have any nipple issues, look up his All Purpose Nipple Cream and have your pharmacy mix it up for you.
Kellymom is a great site as well.
Know that it does hurt in the beginning. Even when the experts say it doesnt. All that friction against your nipples for at least 8 hrs a day, has gotta irritate until they toughen up.
I take a probiotc supplement to help prevent thrush. It cleared it right up for me, and has kept it away.
Make sure when latching that baby's lower lip is curled right back and as much of your areola is in baby's mouth as possible, if baby is just latched onto your nipple you will do damage.
As far a baby's weight is concerned, know that if you are on an iv during labor, baby retains fluid so birth weight is not totally accurate at that point. Some hospitals are even delaying weighing newborns for a few hours to try to reflect this. My little one was 10lbs 1oz at birth. I had been on iv for 7hrs. It took 3 weeks for him to regain his birth weight. My Dr would tell me that maybe I should be supplementing. The Bf clinic told me that if I supplement then my body wont keep up with his needs. Breastfeeding works on supply and demand. The more demand the more we produce. Growth spurts cause baby to cluster nurse. They nurse very hour or so for a couple days, which stimulates our body to make more milk.
Good luck! Its a lot of hard work but if it works for you, its well worth it!

[/url

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search