Breastfeeding.

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree32Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Who is planning to breastfeed/currently is/ did?

I plan on breastfeed but obviously very nervous cause all I hear is how hard it is and how exhausted it'll make you! I think with all the colostrum I have (constantly leaking) I will have a good milk supply. I plan on pumping as well. When I go back to work I will have to pump and DH said he would like to feed her sometimes too.

Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding?
Tips for going from breast to pump?
What was your breastfeeding experience?
Tips for storing milk?

Anything would be awesome!
Jakaira s Mom likes this.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
April 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I will not lie to you, BF is very hard but very rewarding, I BF Alex for 18 months and I wouldn't change a thing.

Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding? Are there any classes at the hospital where you will give birth, if so, take them!
Tips for going from breast to pump? I have Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump and I love it.
Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump - On-the-Go Tote - Medela - Babies "R" Us
What was your breastfeeding experience? Like I said rewarding. It's very hard, and very frustrating at first, just remember that it's a learning experience for you and the baby and there will be numerous time when you will want to give up, but at the end it's all worth it.
Tips for storing milk? I used the Medela bags, they worked fine. I would lay them down in the deep freezer.

Also, I would recommend the BF board, I was there with BF Alex and they were great.
If you have any questions ask away, I'll be (and I bet many others on this board) more than happy to answer any questions.
3Sapphires and Jakaira s Mom like this.

April 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd like to breastfeed! My mom wasn't able to with any of us, so I'm hoping that doesn't mean I'll have trouble, too.

April 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I BF DS for only 6 weeks. I had major supply issues, so this time I'm doing everything I can to prevent that. Even encapsulating the placenta because it suppose to help.
I also tried pumping- I have a Medela Freestyle- which I love but was never able to get much, so never got to store any.

April 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
This is my first baby and I am very worried/nervous about breastfeeding. I hear it can be painful, frustrating and difficult. I really do want to breastfeed but I am not sure I will be capable.

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
April 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding?
It's only hard at first. After about 12 weeks, your body regulates and the baby will be a better nurser. Just stick with it.
Tips for going from breast to pump? If you normally would breastfeed, then pump at that time. When building your supply, that can be every 2-3hrs. Don't skip one or the other for the first 12 weeks. Also, get a good pump. The medela pumps are great. I have used about all the models but ended up with the freestyle because it's small.
What was your breastfeeding experience? With my first, I had no idea what I was doing. She spent a week in the nicu and no one explained pumping to me. She then would only take a bottle and her doctor wanted me to just give formula. I'm stubborn though. I made it through with lots of online help. It's been easier with my other babies although I had one thatI had to stop at 3 months and others went over a year.
Tips for storing milk? Store in small amounts at first. I used storage bags but this last time, I had a bunch that would leak. The first year storage bags are what I ended up using. I had good luck with switching back and forth from breast to bottle with the breast flow bottles too.

It's tough at first, but now, it would be so much more work if I had to give formula than nursing is. Educate yourself. Usually the hospitals have a nursing class and lactation nurses to help. WIC also has a lactation consultant. Remember, it's also normal at first for you to feel like the baby is nursing every hour. Truth is, it's probably true. It will slow down once your supply is established. Just spend that time with your baby.
Pitridge, *SamF* and Jakaira s Mom like this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
April 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I couldn't agree with Patty more...I faced some real challenges BF Savannah, not so much with BF itself (I was lucky and she was a natural) but a serious illness i had when she was 4 months old really damaged my milk supply and that's where most of my hurdles stemmed from.

That said, BF her was the single most rewarding thing I've done outside of baking & delivering her . I never thought I'd BF beyond maybe 3 months (that was my initial goal) and 6 months max....but in the end I pumped for an entire year & BF her until she was 24 months old (I quit only b/c I got pregnant, probably would have made it to 2 year mark if I wasn't forced to wean her).

Tips for breastfeeding? Definitely take a class...this "natural" act doesn't come naturally to most and I dragged DH to it with me & was really glad I did...he felt really invested in making sure I was successful and helped me a lot with the pumping-related things (packing my bag, cleaning supplies, etc). I also got a book that had pictures to show precisely what a good latch looks like, and trouble shoot common problems. My hospital had a great BF program & included a couple of visits with their lactation consultant immediately after I gave birth...if your hospital doesn't do this (or you're doing home birth, etc) I'd really recommend finding a LC even if it costs a little $ to have that help as soon as baby is born.

Tips for going from breast to pump? I'm in the minority that I started pumping & doing a feeding via bottle with Savannah when she was 2 weeks old (most will tell you to wait a month or more) and had absolutely no issue with it. The only warning I'd give you though is that pumping is not as good as BF so you need to be careful how often you do it in the early weeks/months or you can damage your supply. A good pump is critical (as are good pumping bras & pads for the inevitable leaks) - I used same one as Patty & loved it.

What was your breastfeeding experience? Mine was just amazing - I didn't go into it really wanting to do it so much as feeling I should do it....and the experience really turned me around and I can't imagine not doing it with next child. It was a really wonderful way to bond with her - despite some of the hurdles & frustrations you face periodically.

Tips for storing milk? Get tons of the BM storage freezer bags...I started off with medela ones (i think) and eventually someone turned me onto Lansinoh which freeze flatter/squarer which is important (they end up taking up a lot of space). Mark your bags w/date (I also did an AM/PM) and periodically organize your freezer so your oldest ones are to the front so you're using them up first (instead of your newer pumped milk).

Good luck! The BF & Pumping forums here on JM are awesome - tons & tons of very experienced ladies who can help you with questions as you encounter unfamiliar issues.
Pitridge, *SamF* and Jakaira s Mom like this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
April 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-SBB View Post
I couldn't agree with Patty more...I faced some real challenges BF Savannah, not so much with BF itself (I was lucky and she was a natural) but a serious illness i had when she was 4 months old really damaged my milk supply and that's where most of my hurdles stemmed from.

That said, BF her was the single most rewarding thing I've done outside of baking & delivering her . I never thought I'd BF beyond maybe 3 months (that was my initial goal) and 6 months max....but in the end I pumped for an entire year & BF her until she was 24 months old (I quit only b/c I got pregnant, probably would have made it to 2 year mark if I wasn't forced to wean her).

Tips for breastfeeding? Definitely take a class...this "natural" act doesn't come naturally to most and I dragged DH to it with me & was really glad I did...he felt really invested in making sure I was successful and helped me a lot with the pumping-related things (packing my bag, cleaning supplies, etc). I also got a book that had pictures to show precisely what a good latch looks like, and trouble shoot common problems. My hospital had a great BF program & included a couple of visits with their lactation consultant immediately after I gave birth...if your hospital doesn't do this (or you're doing home birth, etc) I'd really recommend finding a LC even if it costs a little $ to have that help as soon as baby is born.

Tips for going from breast to pump? I'm in the minority that I started pumping & doing a feeding via bottle with Savannah when she was 2 weeks old (most will tell you to wait a month or more) and had absolutely no issue with it. The only warning I'd give you though is that pumping is not as good as BF so you need to be careful how often you do it in the early weeks/months or you can damage your supply. A good pump is critical (as are good pumping bras & pads for the inevitable leaks) - I used same one as Patty & loved it.

What was your breastfeeding experience? Mine was just amazing - I didn't go into it really wanting to do it so much as feeling I should do it....and the experience really turned me around and I can't imagine not doing it with next child. It was a really wonderful way to bond with her - despite some of the hurdles & frustrations you face periodically.

Tips for storing milk? Get tons of the BM storage freezer bags...I started off with medela ones (i think) and eventually someone turned me onto Lansinoh which freeze flatter/squarer which is important (they end up taking up a lot of space). Mark your bags w/date (I also did an AM/PM) and periodically organize your freezer so your oldest ones are to the front so you're using them up first (instead of your newer pumped milk).

Good luck! The BF & Pumping forums here on JM are awesome - tons & tons of very experienced ladies who can help you with questions as you encounter unfamiliar issues.
Lara, I just realize that we have been together in 3 different boards, very awesome!
L-SBB likes this.

April 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just lurking and saw this so thought I would chime in. I have very small boobs (AA before pregnancy, A during) and knew my mom had heavily supplemented us with formula, so I figured that breastfeeding would be a huge challenge. I did a ton of research, took the hospital class, etc. Watched videos (it looks weird at first what a good latch looks like, with so much boob in the mouth!)

In the end it was easy. Sounds crazy! It was. We did tons of skin-to-skin/naked/topless time, I basically never wore a bra, just cloth breast pads in stretchy tank tops. Co slept. She was with me and nursing, lying around the house basically all the time. My milk came in at five days and suddenly my boobs were like D cups. She had a really strong latch and suck and big appetite. I ate a lot and drank tons of water. I tried to relax and just let people help me and just hang out with baby. It was a time I was extremely grateful for my nudist lazy hippie tendencies lol. I never got an infection, we never got thrush, nothing went wrong and she just grew enormous.

I am a SAHM and only started pumping within the past few weeks, she is eating lots of solids now and working on walking, and sometimes not interested in the boob, so I have a cheap manual pump just to relieve engorgement at those times. She has never taken a bottle. I think we tried once when she was like 7 months old and she was totally uninterested. She drinks from a real cup though.

Anyway, I know you have questions I didn't answer, but I wanted to let you know it is not necessarily a big challenge even if you think it will be I highly recommend this book:
Amazon.com: The Food of Love: The Easier Way to Breastfeed Your Baby (9781593762179): Kate Evans: Books

Good luck!!!

April 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I honestly don't think it was that hard! Maybe with all the issues I had making/having the baby, breastfeeding seemed like a walk in the park.

I will say that if you are 100% insistent to BF, you WILL suceed. Don't just "try to breastfeed" or "Hope to breastfeeed" Don't take no for an answer, and don't give up!

A lot of what doctors and nurses tell you, is untrue. It is OKAY for babies to lose weight in the beginning, babies are not born NEEDING food, they can go for several days before your mature milk comes in and be JUST FINE. Don't believe people when they say you need to supplement. There are SOME exceptions, such as low blood sugar, but not very many.

If you need help after birth (Take a class beforehand) call a Le Leche League leader. Locate your chapter before the birth, and get the appropriate phone numbers. Don't rely on the hospital provided lactation consultant. They may be good in some places, but the one I got was HORRIBLE!

Good luck! Breastfeeding is one of the most wonderful things you can do for your child. I love it so much, and can't imagine it any other way!
Jakaira s Mom and NsMommy like this.

April 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I know that I fully intended on EBFing Marsi. With the major bout of PPD that hit when she was a week old, I had to get rest and let DH help. I know in the hospital breastfeeding start was so hard! She didn't want to latch on and the nurses in the special nursery where they kept Marsi for observation were horrible to help with the start of BFing. They wanted me to supplement from the start and it was only through my persistence in telling them no and getting a lactation consultant to help me out that we were able to learn how to breastfeed. It was a lot of trial and error. I started pumping in the hospital. After every feeding, I would finish it off with ah few minutes pumping whether I got anything out or not. Slowly but surely, I got a supply. When I got home, I had to use that automatically because it was colostrum. I have only used Lansinoh storage bags and love them! They freeze flat and with 50+ bags frozen in my deep freeze it is nice to have them take up as little room as possible.

I never took a class, but I watched a lot of youtube videos. I wish I did take a class. I wish that a LC came in right after she was born to establish breastfeeding. I have a lot of frustration toward the hospital because of what happened after she was born.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargatemommy View Post
I will say that if you are 100% insistent to BF, you WILL suceed. Don't just "try to breastfeed" or "Hope to breastfeeed" Don't take no for an answer, and don't give up!

A lot of what doctors and nurses tell you, is untrue. It is OKAY for babies to lose weight in the beginning, babies are not born NEEDING food, they can go for several days before your mature milk comes in and be JUST FINE. Don't believe people when they say you need to supplement. There are SOME exceptions, such as low blood sugar, but not very many.
BF is a commitment (my opinion), if you go with the mind set of I'll try or hope to, it won't work, only because its so easy to give up. If you want to BF you will, no matter what the challenges are. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to quit, I was tired, Alex was tongue-tied and make it harder, had to use a shield but I'm stubborn and I wanted to BF until he was 2 and no matter what challenges it brought, I never gave up.
Also, I agree with the loos weight after birth, it's normal, do not need to supplement, it took Alex about 2 weeks to get back to his normal weight.
Jakaira s Mom and NsMommy like this.

April 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I am sooo envious of the ladies who were able to breastfeed with minimal difficulties. For me it was an absolute nightmare and I felt like the worst mother ever for the first few months of Akadia's life. She was an awful nurser and basically wanted to nurse 24x7 but was never satisfied. It took my milk almost a week to come in so that first week was miserable for both of us. Then I got mastitis several times and after much tears gave up at 3 months. I moved on to eclusively pumping which was definitely a commitment in itself, but I was able to build up a huge supply and feed her enough to satisfy her and freeze a lot too. I plan to try to breastfeed again this time around but I have to admit I dread it. I'm not going to feel as bad though for moving to bottles and pumping earlier if I need to.

Last edited by Leanne78; April 11th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
April 11th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That makes sense about them not needing much in the few days after birth. It's the same with the baby chicks we hatch every year at my school, and also makes sense that nature would make sure our milk came in by the time the baby needed it. I'd think that if the baby needed the milk immediately, we wouldn't have to wait until a few days after birth for the milk to come in.

April 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Hopefulpinkangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Find a good LC! I had trouble just because DS was in the hospital right after he was born so we had no way of working on latching until he was a week old. Having a good LC made a tremendous difference for me. I BF for 14 months and it was worth every second of trouble we had during the first little bit.

DS did fine going from breast to bottle and back again. I didn't exclusively pump, but I did pump some. I also would use the breastmilk storage bags and freeze them so that I could have some just in case of DH wanting to feed him, or going out for extended periods of time.

Jan 2010 August 2011

April 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
My advice would be to find a local LLL meeting near you and attend a couple before baby is born. The leaders are also normally willing to let you call them when baby is born to come help if you are having problems.

Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding? RELAX the more you stress the harder it is.
Tips for going from breast to pump? no tips really you just stick the pump on and turn it on..lol
What was your breastfeeding experience? I had a hard time but once I found the right support my problems was fixed with in days.
Tips for storing milk? I bought the Medela plastic bottles 2.5oz & 5oz.

Its not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. To me at 3am putting a boob in baby's mouth is so much easier than making a bottle.

My big advice is the first couple weeks are hard but try to stick with it until at least 3 months... about that point it starts to get really easy and becomes second nature.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
April 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Wow thanks for all your responses ladies! Seriously they are all awesome!

I REALLLY appreciate the support and the advice!

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
April 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Anyone have any tips for breastfeeding? Ask to see the lactation consultant right away, before any problems can pop up. Sometimes it takes a day for her to get to you (they often don't work 40 hour weeks). She'll be able to show you different positions and assess baby's latch.

Tips for going from breast to pump? Some women can get milk with a pump no problem and some women just don't respond well to the pump. For me the trick is to relax as much as possible.

With my son I had to fight to breastfeed. He had tongue tie, which is when the skin on the bottom of the tongue extends too far. He couldn't get his tongue past his gums and so he was literally gnawing on me rather than suckling. Luckily the lactation consultant diagnosed it and we were able to see an ear-nose-throat doctor to get it fixed when he was 2-days old. It still took him several weeks to learn to use his tongue properly. During that time it was a big struggle for me. I had open sores from trying to nurse him and eventually had to pump and feed him that way so I could heal. If you ever have to rely exclusively on pumping anytime in the first month you'll want to rent a hospital grade pump. They're strong enough to establish a supply when most consumer pumps are not. Anyway, I pumped and finger fed him because I was terrified that giving him a bottle would make his latch worse. Eventually (I think around week 3) I gave up gave him a bottle. When it was time to switch back to the breast, he did a good job without any issues--but that's not always the case with babies that don't get to nurse a lot in the first month.

With my daughter it was so smooth. No pain, my milk came in a lot quicker, no thrush or tongue tie like I dealt with with my son. With both my children I had oversupply, but I knew how to handle it better with my daughter. I would only nurse her on one side with each feeding, to ensure that she got enough hindmilk (the fatty stuff that comes out later in the feeding) and not too much foremilk (the watery milk that comes out first). If I were in need of a supply of frozen milk, I probably would have nursed on one side and pumped on the other with each feeding. With only nursing her on one side, my supply eventually (maybe after 2-3 months?) cut back to where I could nurse her on both sides and no longer had oversupply.

Tips for storing milk? For pumping at work, get a lot of bottles that hook directly to the pump. Once you get home, transfer the milk into milk storage freezer bags, label with the date, and freeze laying flat. Thaw frozen milk either in the fridge (if you have time to wait) or by placing the sealed bag in a bowl of water. One thing that I found that made bottle feeding easier with my son was that I got him used to cold milk. That way I didn't have to warm up every bottle of milk I gave him.

Another thing to mention, my daughter did not get offered a bottle for a while and wound up refusing them. It worked okay for me because I work from home, but if I needed to have my baby take a bottle, I would introduce one probably around 3-4 weeks or so.
April 11th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlife View Post

With my son I had to fight to breastfeed. He had tongue tie, which is when the skin on the bottom of the tongue extends too far. He couldn't get his tongue past his gums and so he was literally gnawing on me rather than suckling. Luckily the lactation consultant diagnosed it and we were able to see an ear-nose-throat doctor to get it fixed when he was 2-days old. It still took him several weeks to learn to use his tongue properly. During that time it was a big struggle for me. I had open sores from trying to nurse him and eventually had to pump and feed him that way so I could heal. If you ever have to rely exclusively on pumping anytime in the first month you'll want to rent a hospital grade pump. They're strong enough to establish a supply when most consumer pumps are not. Anyway, I pumped and finger fed him because I was terrified that giving him a bottle would make his latch worse. Eventually (I think around week 3) I gave up gave him a bottle. When it was time to switch back to the breast, he did a good job without any issues--but that's not always the case with babies that don't get to nurse a lot in the first month.
Did they ever suggested a nipple shield? With my son he also had tongue tie, the LC suggested a nipple shield and it work perfectly, no sore nipple, nothing.

April 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
Just wanted to say good luck and you can do it! Everyone else gave some great advice.

I didn't have luck BF our son but we had a lot going on and things were beyond stressful so we decided to FF. At the time it was the best choice because I don't think he was getting full enough. Once we started FF he started sleeping through the night and wasn't constantly screaming. So I def think he was hungry Not sure if all the stress I was under could have caused supply issues or not but it seems like it could have.

Things are so much better now...I look forward to trying harder to BF with Emily!

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search