I've got a sick baby on my hands :( *long*

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Super Mommy
Spent the night in the ER with Olivia last night. She wasn't really herself all day, wouldn't eat (VERY unlike her!), etc. She also had a fever which I was keeping a close eye on. I noticed it was getting higher than I'd like so I was about to get up to get Advil and right before I could get up, she threw up a HUGE amount - covered the front of her body entirely, both of my thighs, and a huge puddle on the carpet. I decided enough was enough and we went to the ER. After waiting almost 3 hours I asked what was going on and it turns out they completely lost her charts. As the nurse said, it was a good thing that I asked or she would've been skipped over. A BABY! So we wait some more. Finally it gets to be almost 4am and I decide enough is enough so I went to ask how much longer we'd be waiting and I was told at least 5 more hours - if no emergencies came in. I decided to leave. Olivia couldn't get any sleep there and I decided that she needed rest. I didn't sleep - kept checking on her and giving her Tylenol and Advil regularly as advised by the nurse.
Now today she's seemed okay. Ate some breakfast, not as much as usual. Same with lunch. Dinner she ate quite a bit less than normal, but still ate some. Her temp has been up and down all day, but never too high that I'm real concerned. Although now I just checked and it's back up to 101 again and she's getting really fussy/clingy again - which is exactly how last night started.

Does this sound like teething? I wouldn't imagine teething can cause this much pain/discomfort but one never knows, I guess. I'm just not sure if it's teeth or a flu bug or what to do for her, really. I hate seeing her like this.
May 9th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww poor little girl I hope she feels better soon!! Sounds really scary. It could be teething, but this sounds more like a flu bug to me based on what you wrote about her puking really badly. Has she been exposed to anything recently?

Most ERs and UCs I've been to are incompetent. There's a little hospital in town though with an awesome ER, but they're not equipped to deal with really really sick people.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

May 9th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry.......Alex never had that with teething, so I am no help there. Fever does go up in the evening. Did you call the her doctor? I can't believe that they would make you wait that long with a sick baby!
Alex got the 24 stomach flu twice already and it sounds very similar to what's happening to Olivia. For him, he got sick Friday night throwing up, Saturday not eating, fever, not himself and Sunday finally getting appetite back and being a bit more like himself. If she is not better by tomorrow I would definitely call her doctor. I hope she feels better soon.

May 9th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I can't think of anything that she's been exposed to. She doesn't go to daycare, MIL watches her so yeah I can't really think of any time where she could have caught it.
I will definitely be calling her/my family doctor in the morning if she isn't completely better - sadly she's just as useless as the hospital but it's the best we've got and it's HARD to find a family doctor here, not sure how it is in the US.
May 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1i2v3 View Post
it's HARD to find a family doctor here, not sure how it is in the US.
Where are you?

May 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitridge View Post
Where are you?
Ontario Canada.
May 9th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is outrageous that they were making you wait that long! I hope your little girl feels better soon!

May 9th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
That is outrageous that they were making you wait that long! I hope your little girl feels better soon!
Thanks!!

And it's not as uncommon as I wish it was. There was also an elderly woman there (quite old) and they finally took her back just after 2am, she said she got there at 10am!
May 9th, 2012, 06:28 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
WOW cant believe you had to wait that long and still never got seen.
Do they not have childrens hospitals there?

Here there is this visrus going around I got it and then Madison got it about a month ago. She spiked a fever 102 almost 103 and it kept going up and down with tylenol. She even vomited once and it lasted 2 days with her.

I hope baby girl gets better soon nothing worse than a sick baby

When Madison would teeth she would have very low grade fevers like 99-100 and would always get the poops really bad.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
May 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's a crazy wait! I've had to wait a few hours at the most, and that was at a busy city hospital.
It sounds like the flu to me, too. I wouldn't worry about what she's eating, so long as she is drinking. You could give her Pedialite (sp?), too.

May 10th, 2012, 03:38 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like the flu, even if she is not exposed to anyone, those nasty bugs can be brought in from anywhere! Praying she feels better today. Mia had it a couple months ago with the puking non stop for 12hrs, every 1hr on the hr. She's at home with dh, but we have alot of school age kids that brought it home to her.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

May 10th, 2012, 05:43 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Aww poor baby I hope she feels better soon!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

May 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Or it could be an ear infection. Is she tugging at her ears at all? Scarlett has had 2 ear infections, both with vomiting and up & down fevers. With a fever of 101 I would call your doctor and get her looked at.

I hope she feels better soon. ((hugs))

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

May 10th, 2012, 07:46 AM
How is she feeling today?

May 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor baby Hope she feels better soon!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
May 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Poor little gal

I agree it sounds "buggy" and she will prolly be feeling better soon. Liam had one this winter that spiked his fever to 104. I was freaking out (and he has had his share of fevers from ear infections). But thankfully it was short.

Hope she is already feeling much better and is eating better too!
May 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
WOW cant believe you had to wait that long and still never got seen.
Do they not have childrens hospitals there?

Here there is this visrus going around I got it and then Madison got it about a month ago. She spiked a fever 102 almost 103 and it kept going up and down with tylenol. She even vomited once and it lasted 2 days with her.

I hope baby girl gets better soon nothing worse than a sick baby

When Madison would teeth she would have very low grade fevers like 99-100 and would always get the poops really bad.
There is a childrens hospital, it's about 40 minute drive away but from now on we will be going there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
Or it could be an ear infection. Is she tugging at her ears at all? Scarlett has had 2 ear infections, both with vomiting and up & down fevers. With a fever of 101 I would call your doctor and get her looked at.

I hope she feels better soon. ((hugs))
She isn't so much pulling her ears, but she has been sticking her fingers IN her ear. Before all this started too. Now that you mention it I had awful problems with ear infections as a child (and adult) ... I hope it's not that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitridge View Post
How is she feeling today?
Thanks for asking! It's very up and down again, but seems to be up more than down. She's playing nad acting like herself and she ate breakfast and then she gets sucky and has a fever. She puked once today as well, but not near as bad as the other day!
May 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Make sure you give her plenty of fluids. I'm glad she seems to be feeling better, it was a big step to have breakfast, maybe tomorrow she will eat more.

May 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Super Mommy
She's drinking lots of water. I wish she'd drink the pedialyte jsut to amke sure but every time she gets even the smallest taste she gags, and I've tried different flavours. I don't get it.

Also thank you to everyone who commented - thought I was quoting everyone but apparently not!
May 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Poor thing! We have a Children's Hospital that is about a 30 minute drive from our house and we have gone there every time with DD (at the suggestion of our pedi who is right down the street from our house), because they do things A LOT differently in their ER's...when she had breathing trouble, we went right back and were seen right away, when it was her elbow, they sent us through "fast track" so we didn't wait with the sick kids and waited in a different area for just a few minutes. So much better than adult hospitals...haha!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search