Vanishing twin questions(pg and m/c mentioned)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran
A little back story on me- I got pregnant this time around on Gonal-F and IUI after trying for about a year and having a loss in November of this past year. Needless to say I was over the moon but also nervous when I had an u/s at my RE that showed twins(that were monochorionic or identical). However, at my first Ob visit they did another ultrasound and one of the twins stopped developing at 7w1d. The other baby looked great, had a strong heartbeat and seemed to be developing appropriately. The doctor said the highest risk for losing the other baby is in the 2-3 weeks following the loss of the other due to embolus.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Any positive stories to relate. The emotions are so confusing...
I am just SO nervous about every little symptom(for instance I feel like my bbs are less sore today and i am not really that nauseous and also a bit less tired). How do you make it through the uncertainty? I am trying to stay positive but the thought of starting over at the beginning of trying to conceive eats me up on the inside.
I just want a healthy, happy baby!
May 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I haven't had experience with this, but I do know of women who have either had a vanishing twin, or a vanishing triplet and the other babies have been okay. I hope your surviving twin makes it through just fine.

May 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I know of several women who have had a vanishing twin, but I don't know if they were identical or not (a couple I know definitely weren't).

As for the symptoms, it makes sense they would lessen since you're going from 2 to 1. Even with a singleton, though, it's very common and normal for symptoms to come and go. Breast pain for me was ever EVER constant and would change in intensity throughout the day.

Best of luck to you honey.

Last edited by Brittanie; May 18th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
May 18th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
I have heard of vanishing twin but not experienced it myself. When dealing with multiples - one is always the dominant and tends to take over nutrition from the mother.

Im sorry you lost the one twin though, I can't imagine what that must feel like.

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
May 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry for your loss. I know it's hard. I've had a pg with vanishing twin (was already gone before 8w u/s and we didn't have one before that. They figured I had lost it about a week before). They were fraternal and the loss was absorbed within a few weeks. The other baby went to term without issues.

May 21st, 2012, 03:34 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to send lots of positive thoughts your way! How are you feeling?

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

May 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son was originally a twin. I lost his twin around 7 weeks, he came out perfectly healthy. I am so sorry you are going through this. I still think about his twin everytime I see twins...

May 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Veteran
Thanks for all the kind words and positive vibes. Feeling relatively OK, but super nervous for my ultrasound tomorrow! I hope that I can sleep tonight...
May 22nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck!

May 22nd, 2012, 08:05 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no experience with twins, I just wanted to give you HUGS. I hope everything goes well tomorrow.

May 25th, 2012, 08:38 AM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
My 5 month old Asher was a fraternal twin. We lost his twin at 9 weeks, my body did not reabsorb his twin. I saw his twin on ultrasound as late as 15 weeks.

Praying for you and your twin.

May 25th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I don't have experience with this either, but I will pray that all remains well with your twin!

I hope you had a good u/s appt!

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

May 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
Awww Im sorry for your loss, thats very sad. I dont have any real experience with vanishing twin, with my son there was an empty sac along side him, so there was nothing to indicate anything would happen. Hes a happy healthy 15 yr old now. (As happy as a hormonal teen can be lol)
Good luck to you as your baby continues to grow, as you begin to heal and on your journey to bonding with your sweet little one. Prayers to you.

[/url

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search