Tips for after delivery!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 3Sapphires
  • 1 Post By Pitridge
  • 1 Post By stargatemommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Anyone have any tips for after delivery?

It seems like people don't talk about this very often... I have talked to many women and they were like "I was so shocked about how I felt AFTER delivery. No one told me anything" haha.

So how did you feel after delivery?
Tips to help relieve discomfort after?
How long did it take for you to start to feel "normal"?
Any insight would be appreciated

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
May 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So how did you feel after delivery? after DS#1 - I felt like poo - he was an emergency c/s, DS#2 was a VBAC and I felt awesome, everyone kept asking me how I felt after I delivered and I was like, this is a million times better than my c/s.

Tips to help relieve discomfort after? if you have a c/s take your pain meds, don't do too much but do get up and walk as soon as you can.

after my VBAC I used a cool sitz bath - they say use warm, but I liked cool better. and this numbing stuff - ahhh relief!

How long did it take for you to start to feel "normal"? #1 about 6 weeks, #2 about an hour. Sure I was sore, but I could walk around carry the baby, that was huge!
missy123 and kaylakay like this.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 21st, 2012, 12:40 PM
mom2moose
1- Make sure you have pads, and plenty of them. (Thicker ones are best.)2- If the hospital doesn't give you any of that first aid spray stuff, get some. It helps, especially if you tear or they cut you. 3- Sitz baths help a lot too. As for feeling normal, I felt fine the next day with Moose. With Finn, my vag took a solid 2 months to "repair".
May 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So how did you feel after delivery? With my c/s's, I was very sore afterward. Pain meds helped but not 100%. With my natural delivery, I hurt my tailbone but I didn't tear or needed to be cut. I was sore for a few days but no where the pain I had with my c/s's. I felt SO much better after my natural delivery!!
Tips to help relieve discomfort after? Warm baths, heating pad for my back, rest.
How long did it take for you to start to feel "normal"? with my c/s's=atleast a month. with Cameron=2 weeks.

=May '05 and '11

May 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only had 1, and it was a c-section. I was in a lot of pain, I took meds when I was in the hospital but when I got home I just took Ibuprofen, for about 2 weeks I need help with the baby, I couldn't get up to BF or change his diaper, for me it was horrible. It took a long time to feel normal again. I think once I was giving the thumbs up to start exercising, I started to feel more like myself.

May 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Well, After the epidural wore off, I was fine. I had an assisted vaginal delivery with forceps. Some inner tearing but it wasn't bad. I could walk around and hold marsi. I would say if they give you stool softeners, take them! The first poo is not fun after pushing out a baby. Ice is your friend. I would have ice in a glove wrapped in one of the hospital wipes down there for a while. It was amazing! It took me a while to feel normal down there. I would say around 6 weeks. We DTD before that, but it wasn't normal and a bit painful. They stitched me up pretty tight. If you choose to nurse, it can cause pretty hefty cramps in the beginning. Don't be alarmed if nurses come in quite often to look down there to see how much you are bleeding and to press on your tummy. That took me off guard.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

May 21st, 2012, 01:40 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogeek View Post
. If you choose to nurse, it can cause pretty hefty cramps in the beginning. Don't be alarmed if nurses come in quite often to look down there to see how much you are bleeding and to press on your tummy. That took me off guard.
yes I forgot that part, I thought that was weird, for me for a day they had to change pads because I couldn't do it.
mom2moose likes this.

May 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Super Mommy
Mine was a c/s, and I felt fine afterwards. I'm almost thinking maybe my spinal was too strong or something because everyone told me how it will be the worst pain ever and that when you walk for the first time it will feel like your insides are falling out. I felt no discomfort, let alone pain.

This isn't necessary related to how you feel but the one thing I never thought about before that was incredibly embarrasing in the moment (although I don't think that knowing it would happen before it did would make it any less embarrasing) was when the nurses come to change your pads. I guess I figured I could just do it myself but they wouldn't let me out of bed for about 8 hours so she came and changed them for me ... yeah, not fun.
May 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
So how did you feel after delivery? Really terrible, but I had a c/s and hemorrhaged then had some bad reactions to medication, so I wouldn't consider how I felt to be "normal".
Tips to help relieve discomfort after? Use the peri bottle they give you, stay on top of the pain with pain meds if needed.
How long did it take for you to start to feel "normal"? About a month.

My number one tip is to listen to your body, and don't be afraid to let others do things for you. Don't push yourself too hard too soon. Give your body time to recover. I read a great article by a midwife recently that said week 1 should ideally be spent in pj's, cocooned in bed with baby. Week 2 should be pj's, sitting up in bed and doing small movements. Week 3 should be in comfy clothes, moving gently around the house, and week 4 should be the first short excursions. I loved the IDEA of this, even though it obviously can't be accomplished in all circumstances. She said that the women who adhered to this healed MUCH quicker than those who pushed themselves too soon.

May 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
So how did you feel after delivery? Right after I had her, I felt pretty good. Just sore down below. By the time I went home though, I was REALLY sore down there. I had stitches, but what really hurt were my hemrroids. Those were just awful.

Tips to help relieve discomfort after? I would have some ice packs, tucks pads, hemrroid cream, and really thick extra long pads on hand. They have these really awsome ice packs that aren't really ice, but you twist them and they get cold and are shaped like pads. I lived with those suckers in my undees for days! Also, if your hospital doesn't give you one, a squirt bottle to clean up down there after using the restroom is worth its weight in gold. Especially if you have stitches that you are trying to keep clean.

Also, like the other ladies mentioned, if you breastfeed the cramps can be pretty bad the first week or so. I would have Advil on hand for that or a heating pad.

How long did it take for you to start to feel "normal"? About 2 weeks later I started to feel pretty normal.

May 21st, 2012, 10:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I actually felt great! I had 14 stitches, and it hurt when I pee, but i didn't care too much, I was too over the moon in love with my boy to notice. I remember them giving me something called nupericaine or something. it is for hemroids, but worked REALLY well on sore postpartum ladybits.

I did not have a lot of pain with cramping while nursing. But again, I did not notice too much more than my perfect LO.

I recommend bringing a bag of depends with you. They are SO much better for the PP bleeding than the pads they give you. It cover a much bigger area and you can feel comfortable to move freely without worrying about getting blood everywhere.
missy123 likes this.

Last edited by stargatemommy; May 21st, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
May 22nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Super Mommy
Oh yeah, forgot about those wonderful things. I also had to get a prescription cream for the hemmorhoids at my check-up. The OTC stuff just wasn't doin it!
May 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
The spray is called dermaplast, and it's WONDERFUL. I had a 2nd degree tear with Cora and that was great.

I HATED putting ice down there. It made me hurt more.

The thing that took me most off guard was that, for me at least, post partum blood is not the same as period blood. It was much waterier, so sometimes the pads didn't absorb it fast enough.

And major ditto on the stool softeners.

And seriously...SLEEP. Even if you feel pretty good, your body has been through trauma (even if it was a really easy vaginal delivery with minimal tearing, it was a major trauma on your body). For me I always tried to just go about my life like normal, and I always paid for it. People aren't just babying you when they tell you you need to sleep, you really need to as much as you can for the first couple days.

May 23rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess I'm odd, but I felt fine after all my deliveries - a little sore, but not awful. I didn't get hemerrhoids (sp?) so no problems there either.

I would say the biggest thing is to sleep when you can & enjoy every second of the baby being a newborn - they grow up so fast

Also, take help if it's offered. I did everything myself & it did get overwhelming sometimes.

I bottle fed, so I remember getting engorged about day 3 (that was painful) but that went away pretty quickly!

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

May 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Anyone have any tips for after delivery?

It seems like people don't talk about this very often... I have talked to many women and they were like "I was so shocked about how I felt AFTER delivery. No one told me anything" haha.

SO TRUE!!

So how did you feel after delivery? I was very sore and had a hard time getting up and then sitting back down - bad tear on top of an episiotomy.

Tips to help relieve discomfort after? Use DermaPlast! Best stuff ever and take the stool softener...I am sure that is why I didnt' feel like I was giving birth again when I had to go...lol!

If you like the ice, take a couple of baby diapers, get them wet with water and freeze them and use those to ice, they stay really well and you probably already have them

How long did it take for you to start to feel "normal"? I felt about 85% better 2 weeks later, totally normal maybe another week after that...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search