Other People's Babies

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
So maybe a kind of off topic here thing, but have any of you ladies ever felt strange or a bit uncomfortable holding someone else's baby? Especially if it is someone you don't know very well, I was thinking back last year at a Bridal Shower (this was around the time we started TTC) and I hadn't ever met this woman before and they offered to let me hold the newborn.

I couldn't help but feel strange and awkward, like I shouldn't be holding it because I didn't know the mother at all.

Another time around December (and before I knew I was expecting) a kind of distant relative had recently had a baby - she was around 3 months old, she let me hold the baby and it broke my heart because I knew it wasn't mine and I had to give it back. That was also another strange feeling - so do you think this is a normal reaction?

I mean yeah babies can be cute, but I don't always feel comfortable holding just anyone's baby. I know obviously that will be much different when I have my LO. I always hear everything about children is different when you have one of your own and observing other people's children is a different experience.

Also to ladies out there who have had babies, do you tend to get protective if anyone you are not very familiar with holds your baby?

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days
May 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I worked in a day care, so I got over that pretty quickly, but I can understand why it would make you feel uncomfortable.

I think I'll be very protective of my little one. It's in my nature to be that way with my stuff, so I can only imagine how much more protective I'll be of my baby. It'll be so hard to let him/her go when it's time!

May 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I love children and am probably the crazy lady where if I see someone who I can tell needs a hand or someone to hold their little one while they eat at a picnic or anything (even if I don't know them) I offer. I love snuggling babies I know it's not like that for everyone but it is for me. I think that it's each persons own personality. But I don't think it's weird or anything dear!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

May 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I'm with Katie... If someone hands me a baby I love on that baby no matter what! Hahahah. I love babies! They are just so sweet. Now I can usually tell if parents don't want you to go up to their baby very much or things like that so I keep my distance and usually just compliment them on their little one. I think with my own all I'm gonna want to do is love on her! Haha. Im nervous because I'll probably put her in a bad habit like holding her constantly so she only sleeps if help or something. BUT there only little once so embrace it.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
May 24th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I don't like holding other people's babies and usually refuse. I am not a baby lover, so if it's not my own baby, then I usually keep my distance.
May 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to be weird about holding other people's babies. I've gotten over it, though. Now that I'm obviously pregnant, people seem to be like "Oh, you're expecting? Hold my baby." O_o I got to hold my dad's friend's baby recently because of that attitude and didn't want to let her go - she was so adorable.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

May 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Super Mommy
I love holding babies, mine or otherwise. If anyone asks me, I'm all over the opportunity!

As for my own, I used to be really crazy when anyone would hold her. I'd be so protective watching over them and I really didn't want anyone else holding her. I got over that real fast.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search