Buying baby things :(

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It seems like there are so many in the DDC buying things for the baby and getting their nursery ideas in place - it makes me so sad sometimes that I can't feel comfortable enough yet to do that. I really just want to get to the point where I can feel secure in making a purchase I won't end up having to return. When I was preggo last time, I was going to go out shopping the day of my anatomy scan, but I never got to do that this time I feel like I should wait till about 24 weeks before buying anything just to make sure, but I want so much to start now When did you all feel comfortable in purchasing items for the baby?

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

June 4th, 2012, 03:56 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not until 28wks. I was like this with all my pregnancy's though, even before loss's. Never started a nursery, bought a onesie, nothing. After loss, I never washed anything or took tags off until 38wks. It is sad that loss takes us to these places, 24wks sounds like a wonderful time to celebrate and make your first purchase, it will be here before you know it!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

June 4th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't feel comfortable buying anything until around 30 weeks, I think? I think the fear is normal after a loss. I know someone who only bought a pack 'n' play before her baby was born. She didn't even buy diapers.
June 4th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
for me, buying stuff is part of how I'm keeping the excitement for myself and making sure I'm not focusing so much on the potential for loss. I didn't have a second trimester loss, though. I hope you feel comfortable buying and thinking of nursery ideas soon.

June 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I usually wait until 30 weeks to grab the carseat. We brought the baby home and I still didn't take anything down from the attic with the last one. I didn't want to see anything in case. And yes, it stinks that you are robbed from the enjoyment of preparing.

I will start sewing after today scan though. I'll make stuff and just put it back on the shelves. If something does go wrong, it will be donated. I did this with the last one too. I can't wait until 30 weeks to make a diaper stash up. Too much work to throw into 8+ weeks.

June 4th, 2012, 07:11 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't start doing anything until last week - and then I did it all. I still worry that maybe I should wait, but I couldn't stand it any longer.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

June 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well we haven't bought anything for this baby, we have mostly everything, but still, as much as I want to buy a onesie or grab that deal on diaper, I can't bring myself to do it. In the next month we have to go and buy the car seat and a tub....I keep putting it off.

June 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I didn't start buying a lot till after 24 weeks... But it took me forever to take the tags off and set it up. I believe I was 36 weeks ish... I know it's scary. I'm still so scared cause I can't return anything now. But what I did was just suck it up tag all the tags off before I really "thought" about it. Haha. Also DH helped me a lot.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
June 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran
started shoping at 22 weeks after gender scan i bought one outfit then waited till 26 weeks to buy anything els i only took the tags off sunday and set everything up and im 38 weeks hope you get to enjoy some shoping soon !
June 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Dee
I feel less emotional and more practical about it right now. I know there's a baby due in January, but I still might have to return everything before January if there is no baby, so right now it sounds like a lot of hassle and not enjoyable at all. I know that sounds calloused, but I'm just not convinced that shopping is a good idea yet.

Tanya - I hope that when you do feel ready to nest for your baby, that you can thoroughly enjoy getting ready and feel settled.
June 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
If it wasn't for my DH I wouldn't have bought anything or set anything up until the last month LOL. We bought a few things the day of the anatomy scan at 18weeks but didn't do much until mid 20's. I kept tags on everything and packaged and receipts. I cried when DH made me set up the pack and play. I was so scared. I hate that loss makes us feel this way. Big hugs.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm about a month ahead of you and haven't really bought anything. I have picked up a lot of free stuff off of freecycle (bouncy seat and misc. cloths) and only just recently felt comfortable and confident about that. I think, for me, it helps that I've started to be able to feel the baby move every day. I never got to that point with Angel so it has made me feel a little better.

I think that if you will feel more comfortable waiting until 24 weeks, that's what you should do. Hopefully, by the time you reach that point, you will be able to enjoy preparing for your baby. I probably won't actually buy anything until after the anatomy scan two weeks from now just because I want to see a healthy baby one more time before I get too excited about preparing.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

June 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with Jax I didn't buy one single thing until I was 30+ weeks. I don't know if I'll be better or worse this time, I guess we'll see...

June 6th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I am the odd one out... after my third loss I went out IMMEDIATELY and bought an outfit and hung it on my wall where I could see it every day and every time I looked at it I told myself that this time would be different.

June 7th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
I am the odd one out... after my third loss I went out IMMEDIATELY and bought an outfit and hung it on my wall where I could see it every day and every time I looked at it I told myself that this time would be different.
That is a great attitude to have

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

June 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't buy anything for a while. I didn't have a 2nd trimester loss, but this last loss, last August, we had seen a hb and then found out at 12w. That made it very hard to connect to this pregnancy. I finally was out at Burlington Coat Factory, while traveling for work, and happened into the baby clothing section - I found a neutral onesie that I thought was funny, it says "I was born awesome", I couldn't resist I was about 25 weeks at that point, but I still didn't buy anything else for a long time and that onesie was in it's bag with the tags for a while. It was just a couple of weeks ago that DH and I finally washed stuff and started setting things up, I am almost 38 weeks now. It really is normal for us that have been through losses to go through this and I can understand not wanting to do anything until after that scan. HUGS!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search