How do you store your breast milk?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By mspkids
  • 2 Post By lindsey2000k

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2012, 08:26 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
So I'm starting to get a mini stock pile in my fridge. I just put it in extra bottles that are too big for her right now and write an expiration date for one week after on the bottle. Well I'm not really using a lot of it... So how can I store it away for maybe future use?

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
June 15th, 2012, 11:41 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
You need to freeze some of it. I really liked the Lansinoh brand breast milk storage bags. I froze mine in 2oz and 4oz increments. Even when I was just putting the breast milk in the fridge, I found the storage bags way easier than storing it in a bottle, because it was easier to warm it up in the bag and then dump it into the bottle.

Storage and Handling of Breastmilk
Breastmilk storage 101: Answers to your 7 most-asked questions - iVillage
Breast Milk Storage Guidelines
TnPhotoMama81 and LindseyE117 like this.

June 16th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Freezer bags are the way to go. Hardest part is remembering to cycle through them so they don't go bad. For me, Mondays were always use frozen milk day since I would go back to work and have frozen all of Fridays.

I gave up with 2oz and went straight to 4 or 6 ounce size bottles. Yes some gets wasted but I also end up throw out a ton at the end anyway. (can't donate since I am taking meds).

Date and put the amount on the bag. I do find that you really need to lay them flat in the freezer and then they will stack better. Best to hide in the back of freezer if you don't have a stand alone one. Also make sure you get all the air out. With deep freezers, it will crystallize if you don't.

There are a few brands. I found target had the best selection.
LiamsMother likes this.

June 16th, 2012, 05:02 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I hated the bags and have about 25 Medela storage bottles. I put mine in the fridge until I have the amount I want to freeze in the bottle, date it and freeze it. I don't let it hang out in the fridge to long I go right to the deep freezer where it is good for up to 12 months.
TnPhotoMama81 and LindseyE117 like this.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
June 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I freeze mine in bags. I date, time, and put measurements on the bags. I was told by the hospital not to use milk over 48 hours old from the fridge. I do keep 3 bottles in there though to use throughout the day and night for hubby and for his meds. I rotate them in bottles with numbered lids.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
June 16th, 2012, 08:55 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto on the 48hrs in the fridge. regular freezers (in your fridge) can be stored up to 3mo. Bags or mini breast milk bottles work best. Make sure to date it if your not gone on a regular basis (like working full time) My dr. said deep freezer for 6mo. I never had that problem when I BF'd though, as I worked full time and refrigerated milk during the week for the next day feedings and froze my Friday milk for Monday feedings.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

June 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I was told that I could have it in the fridge up to a week if my fridge was cold and it was in the back...

Here's a good chart Breast Milk Storage Guidelines

I used the lansinoh bags too.

June 18th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have used both the Medela bags and the lansinoh bags.
If you know you will be freezing milk, I would just put it directly in the freezer.

June 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
LisaG825's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also use the lansinoh or gerber (not my fave) bags. I quit storing in 2-4 oz b/c I had an abundant supply. We bought a deep freezer. Milk in the fridge can last up to 5-7 days. Just smell before you use it (sometimes mine would last that long and sometimes it wouldn't). Bottles were too expensive for me to store b/c I literally had a deep freezer full of milk. Only a few other nonbreastmilk items in there. I would date every bag and got the gallon or 2 gallon ziplock bags. I would fill those bags with the other bags and date that with how many total oz. I had a problem with all my bags falling out when I opened the door. That also helps you keep it more organized so you can rotate your stock. If you have a bigger stock.

Always date the bags and rotate. In a deep freezer they can stay good for 6-12 months. I think I have a high lipase in my milk and it makes mine taste funny to me, but doesn't bother my son at all. Kinda tastes soapy or something.

Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Gabriel Matthew- Induced @15w4d on 12/16/09 (Partial Molar Pregnancy). Took 6 1/2 months reach negative after 3 methotrexate injections, D&C 2/19/10, & 6 rounds of chemo Act-d.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db5ff
Mommy loves you!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
"Now I lay you down to sleep,
I pray the Lord your soul to keep;
Within his arms he'll hold you tight,
My Heavenly Angel, My Guiding Light."
June 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyE117 View Post
I freeze mine in bags. I date, time, and put measurements on the bags. I was told by the hospital not to use milk over 48 hours old from the fridge. I do keep 3 bottles in there though to use throughout the day and night for hubby and for his meds. I rotate them in bottles with numbered lids.
From what I understand the 48 hour rule is for Premies or NICU babies.

Here is my stash from the last month in the deep freezer. As soon as I get 40z in the big bottles or the 2.5oz in the small ones I freeze them right away. I am running out of bottles and going to have to start using bags because I refuse to buy anymore and these are left over from when Madison was a baby.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
June 19th, 2012, 05:49 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pump in the morning and if it doesn't get used that day, I put it in a milk storage bag (Lansinoh) and freeze it. I only pump if DH wants to feed Cameron or I'm going to be gone for one of his feedings.

=May '05 and '11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search