Need advice.

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2012, 03:00 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Okay so I switched Ava to formula due to having a milk imbalance which was making her get the watery milk and not the hind milk. Well the lactation consultant told me this imbalance can take a couple months to fix. It was making her poop literally 20 times a day and she had horrible diaper rash so I made the personal decision to change her to formula. We slowly started her and now she's on formula 24/7. We are using Enfamil AR suggestion by my sister. Well now she seems to be in pain. She was screaming all night and all day. She grunts and gets really red. Her poops have changed they are more solid now and less. Its just really sad to see her in pain and very hard on us.

Is it just the change to formula? Do I need to use a different formula? Or is it to early? Any input would be nice she's currently screaming right now

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
June 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I don't know if switching her from breast to formula would cause her to be in pain. Cody didn't have a problem when we started formula. Now with that being said we can't use Enfamil. It caused Cody to have to much gas and he never got full. We have to use Gerber Good Start Gentle or Similac Sensitive.
June 30th, 2012, 06:49 PM
mom2moose
It could be the formula. How fast did you make the change? Was it gradual? And maybe it's just not the righ formula. I had to change Finn 3 times.
June 30th, 2012, 08:07 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2moose View Post
It could be the formula. How fast did you make the change? Was it gradual? And maybe it's just not the righ formula. I had to change Finn 3 times.

3 days. I would give her one feeding of breast milk then next formula and more formula a day. People are saying 3 days on a formula is to soon to tell if it's the formula but I can't have my LO screaming like this for days on.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
June 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lily spat up tons on formula and was in pain more often with formula as well. We were using regular Similac. You might need to try a more sensitive formula. I hate seeing my baby in pain, too. It kills me.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

July 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I agree could be the formula! The one little girl I used to watch had to be switched 4 times until we found one that agreed with her stomach. It's not fun but it's worth it once you find one that she seems to like.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

July 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The screaming might be from gas or other tummy issues with the formula. Formula has way more iron than breastmilk, which may be making her constipated. You could try another formula (one of the sensitive ones) or you could wait a few days to see if it resolves as her system gets used to it.
July 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I do agree with what people told you about it being to early to tell.
I am sorry you had to quit BF did they suggest to you to do block feeding at all? I know its probably to late now though... but sometimes you can start back up this soon if you choose to, if you still have milk.

I would give her at least a week on this formula before you change her again. Formula babies do have firmer poop, stinkier, & most do poop less.... unless you are my baby who only poops every 5-10 days on breastmilk

http://lindseysphotography.com/
July 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, no help here, I never used formula, I hope you find what's wrong, maybe switch formula?

July 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I would give it a few more days. Have you tried the mylicon drops? They did wonders for Josiah. If it doesn't get better, I would switch to a sensitive formula. Did she have tummy issues when you were bottle feeding her the breast milk? Could it be partially the type of bottle you're using? Just throwing that out there.

July 2nd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you follow up with a little breastmilk? Or give her 1-2 feedings daily of breastmilk. If it was causing loose movements, it may do the same as prunes and loosen it up.

It maybe the formula but I would talk to her pedi before changing it again.

July 2nd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It can simply be the type of formula. I had to switch DD several times before she did well with the Good Start.

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

July 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It sounds like the formula is making her slightly constipated. Not actually constipated, but having to strain more for bowel movements and making it uncomfortable for her. I would def try some gas drops and bicycling of the legs. If it gets bad, I would call the doc and ask if prune juice is acceptable. She is a little young, but it can make all the difference in helping her system stay regular. I would keep her on the same formula for at least a week, just because lots of changes can cause even more belly issues than you are having now. Her body probably just needs to adjust to the digestion process of formula. It is much harder to work thru their systems. So sorry you are going thru this It's very hard!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search