Working Moms?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By L-SBB
  • 2 Post By audiesmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So who works outside of the home? Who stays at home and takes care of the kids? If you work outside of the home, how long did you take off after baby was born? Was it hard on you when you went back to work? Who keeps your kids while you are at work? Did you continue to breastfeed after you went back to work?

I work for myself so I went back to work really quickly, luckily I could bring Jacob with me. Jacob started daycare at 8 weeks of age and it was terrible on me. I missed him so much during the day. Thankfull I found a great daycare when my 3 year old was a newborn so I felt very comfortable with who was taking care of him. I have continued to breastfeed and I'm doing that wonderful pumping thing several times while at work.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 14th, 2012, 04:27 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I work part time (3 full days a week) doing childcare for a family in their home. I took off 8 weeks after Eleanor was born, and it was really hard going back that soon, but I had to take off some time before delivery because I was on bedrest, and we did need the income. Luckily I can bring Eleanor with me to work- add her to the family's 3 boys, and it's very busy, but I'm so glad I get to be with her all day.

We are still breastfeeding, and it's nice that I don't have to pump since we aren't apart all day, but I also didn't anticipate that it would be impossible to pump with 4 kids around, so I am never able to get a freezer stash built up. Daddy feeds her a bottle of breast milk at bedtime, and that is all I have time to pump. So if I ever have to be apart from her for longer than a couple hours, I am going to have a hard time leaving milk for her.
August 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh that picture of Eleanor is adorable!!

I work full time right now and after Regan comes I'll be cutting back to 10-15 hours per week. It looks like they might create a job for me that would let me either partially work from home or have her with me. I just want to keep a foot in until I'm ready to go back full time, which will likely be after we have all the kids we're going to and they're a little older.

August 15th, 2012, 06:47 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I work full time from home (unless I have to travel for client meetings). Scarlett has stayed home with me and it has been so busy and hectic! In a few weeks she starts going to daycare - She is so mobile now and it's only fair that she gets more attention. My daycare situation is ideal - she will be going to a lady's home that also watches her 4 cousins. Can we say playdate everyday?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

August 15th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I work full time and DH is a SAHD. In the past I got to take the full 12 weeks off except once (6 weeks and it SUCKED). I haven't asked for this one yet cause I'm terrified to find out that it will only be 8 weeks.

We breastfeed until at least 1 year so I pump at work. Never had an issue in the past getting pumping time and I doubt I will this time either. I brought a small fridge to work when I had baby #3 and I use that to store the milk in all day. I use to store it in the community fridge until some idiot used some of it in his coffee. I was POed and he said he didn't realize it. I said, my name and it being a baby bottle didn't lead to you the fact it's BM..I was granted private fridge rights after that ..

Going back is the worst. I usually call DH at least 6-7 times the first few weeks. I actually love traveling the first year since I take the baby along and they don't argue. The "nana" comes along. We pay her flight but the company pays the rest for her. I wish there was a rule they had to pay all but there isn't.

August 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I work part time. I own two businesses and then work 2 hours a week for the local school district. I bf'd Josiah for 41 months, and will bf this baby until they self wean as well. With the work I do, I am rarely gone for more than 3 hours at a time, so I can usually time the bf-ing around my schedule. If that doesn't work, I pump a bottle before I leave and bf when I get home. My Mom watches Josiah (and will watch Jamison this coming year while Josiah goes to preschool) on Thursday mornings from 9-noon while I work for the school district, and also will watch both kids for about an hour and a half on Friday mornings while I teach my Music Together classes. I arrange my private voice studio hours around DH's work schedule, so he gets home right before I leave to teach in the evenings. I'm very thankful I haven't had to deal with daycare. I am already on leave from my Music Together and school district jobs, and am teaching my private students through the end of September. I will go back to work at all of the jobs the first week in January.

August 15th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
So who works outside of the home? Me
Who stays at home and takes care of the kids? No one
If you work outside of the home, how long did you take off after baby was born? 6 weeks out full time and 6 weeks of half in-work, half work at home
Was it hard on you when you went back to work? No, I enjoy the break. I am not SAHM material.
Who keeps your kids while you are at work? Daycare center
Did you continue to breastfeed after you went back to work? Yes, I pump at work, which I hate doing.
August 15th, 2012, 12:16 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
So who works outside of the home? me!

If you work outside of the home, how long did you take off after baby was born? I took off 3 months with Savannah and then did 1/2 days for the first week back. 6 weeks were covered under ST disability, and i used some banked vacation and rest was unpaid.

Was it hard on you when you went back to work? Yes! i had nightmares for weeks leading up (despite loving the daycare we chose) that something bizarre (like a tornado, or an gunman) would harm her and I wouldn't be there. And when she got sick after only being in daycare a couple of weeks I felt SO GUILTY...in retrospect I wish i could have stayed out longer until she was a little bigger & we were out of cold & flu season (she started daycare in March).

Who keeps your kids while you are at work? Now Savannah attends a fabulous preschool....i wish i was little and could go there instead of work!

Did you continue to breastfeed after you went back to work? I did, i loathed pumping at work, but I pumped until she was 1 year old...and then while I stopped I kept BFing her mornings & nights until she was 21 months.
Shadeauxe likes this.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
August 15th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
im a sahm. moms who work i look up to i could never leave my baby not even with a sitter for dinner let alone to work all day. moms who work should get extra days off to see there kids and every holiday off but thats just my thougth
missy123 and Shadeauxe like this.

thank you shortcake for my lovely siggy

August 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So who works outside of the home? Me

If you work outside of the home, how long did you take off after baby was born? With Alex, it was 3.5 months, they give you 2 weeks extra if you have a c-sention. With this one, almost 3 months. All pay, thank goodness.

Was it hard on you when you went back to work? It was hard, but I was ready to go back to work, I needed the adult interaction.

Who keeps your kids while you are at work? Alex, is in daycare, and this one will be with the same sitter that Alex was with for almost 2 years.

Did you continue to breastfeed after you went back to work? Yeap, I pump 3 times while I was work, Bf before I left for work, bf when I got back from work, and then again before bed. Pumped for 1 year, bf for 18 months
I don't know too many people that love pumping.

August 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran
So who works outside of the home? MeQ

If you work outside of the home, how long did you take off after baby was born? 4 months paid - my company is generous

Was it hard on you when you went back to work? Yes. I had a lot of time with my son but just wanted more. Plus I went back into a new role and the first 6 months were very hard adjusting.

Who keeps your kids while you are at work? DH and I both work long hours, so daycare unfortunately didn't work - we have a babysitter in our home for 11 1/2 hours. She's incredible and it's made all the difference for our family.

Did you continue to breastfeed after you went back to work? Yes, I pumped for over 7 months, twice a day, breastfed until about 10 months.

Thank you Tasha Mae for my fantastic siggy!

We're due Jan 31st!!
August 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
I am a working mom.

I work in a hospital 2 twelve hour shifts a week. My mother in law watches the baby when I work.

I took 3 months off of leave! 1 month before and 2 months after birth.

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
August 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ive always worked full time. I owned a mortgage company for over 10yrs and brought my baby's to work in a nursery I made in my office. It sucked. Trying to be a mom at work was not ideal for me. By the time they were 6-7mo I had to find outside daycare. People assumed it would be great bringing your baby to work, but I could not operate as a manager and a mom at the same time.

I now work for a bank and will take a maternity leave of 12wks, while I find new employment! Only 2wks full pay and 10wks half pay, so I need a new job, one that I dont hate so terribly. Im gone now over 12hrs a day and I have an at home babysitter, but she's off to college soon and I will be using her mom. I will have to bring my kids to her house.......I will miss my at home nanny.

Going into sales again, so hopefully never gone for 12hrs again! I do not BF, but did that with the first four kids when I worked.......pumped at work, in the car, in public bathrooms, parking lots.......I DONT MISS THAT PART, but I envy all you bf'ing mama's.....(double mastectomy for me)

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search