Cloth vs. Disposable

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For Mommies: Are you using cloth, disposables or both? What size diapers is your baby in?

For Pregnant Ladies: Do you plan on using cloth, disposable or both?

I only use disposable. My daycare won't do cloth diapers and it would be hard for me to find the time to do cloth at home. I guess for me the convenience of disposable is just too great to try cloth. I love the idea of cloth though and they are so cute. Jacob is in size 2 diapers at 15 weeks of age.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm with you, many day cares won't do cloth and the convenience of disposables is just to great. I would to try cloth and know many people that do cloth and I love the diapers, but convenience unfortunately wins this time.

August 16th, 2012, 05:15 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're using cloth and I really like it. We mostly chose it because it is so inexpensive (and because they are so cute ). We use prefolds with covers. Eleanor is in the largest prefolds and covers that we have (can't remember the sizes), so I hope she can stay in them for a while
August 16th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
We use cloth and so does our day care. I don't know why a day care would refuse to do cloth. If you have something other than prefolds, they are just as easy as regular diapers. I just give them a giant wet bag and they put everything in it.

Perhaps if you took a diaper in to them, they would realize how easy they are. A lot of people hear "cloth diaper" and think flats and pins.
August 16th, 2012, 07:12 PM
kaylakay's Avatar Love Being A Mommy
We use disposable. I dont have the patience for cloth. My baby is in size 2 at 9 weeks

Forever missing my 3 angel babies. Sep 2010, Nov 2010, Jan 2011
August 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm doing cloth for the savings and because I feel it's better for Sean's skin.

August 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do cloth during the day and disposable at night. I do it for the savings and the cute factor Almost all of our cloth is OS pockets.

August 16th, 2012, 07:36 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cameron wears disposables. Size 2 since 8 weeks and he's almost ready to go to size 3's.

=May '05 and '11

August 17th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cloth. It's not cheaper for me but I love the fact I never have to worry about run out at midnight when you realize someone forgot to tell you that you're about out of diapers. (Had it happen more in the past than I care to admit).
We also had major allergy issues with diapers (both types) in the past. I like making my own so I know fabrics, elastic and such. I haven't had any issues since I started with baby 4.

I say it isn't cheaper since when you factor in the cost of the fancier diapers (or supplies for me), it would be cheaper just to watch sales, use coupons and get disposable.

August 17th, 2012, 06:35 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Cloth. Because it is cute. And I am a SAHM. And it is saving us money. And it's cute (oh, what? I said that already?)

Although I will admit that they wear some nighttime disposables because they are both super-peers and I get sick of having to stuff fifteen doublers into one diaper and then try to get them to lay still for me to fasten it. So we are about 50-50 on nighttime cloth lately.
Shadeauxe likes this.
August 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I just started using cloth.
He is still in his size 1 diapers at 13 weeks.... but not much longer in them. We are taking a break from cloth for the next week to try and us up the rest of our size ones.
Still need a night time solution because he wets out of both cloth and sposies so I am trying some wool and fleece soakers as soon as my order comes in.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
August 17th, 2012, 07:51 AM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
100% cloth here and we LOVE it. In the almost 10 months of Marsi's life we have spent just over $100. Mostly we do it for the cost. Diaper laundry is really the only laundry that I like to do. For our next baby I will be using cloth from the very beginning.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 17th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hopefulpinkangel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to be using cloth once her cord stump falls off. I had planned on using them from the start, but with the trouble we had with BF and me being so exhausted I'm waiting until her cord stump falls off and then we are going to get them going. We are using prefolds with covers. I can't wait!

Jan 2010 August 2011

August 17th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm waiting until her cord stump falls off and then we are going to get them going.
I found the cloth babies their cords fell off sooner since I was able to keep moisture 100% off of it with the cloth. During this time, I don't like covers except at bedtime. I usually just put a prefold and change as soon as I notice wet. We used fleece at bedtime and just folded it down until it fell off.

August 18th, 2012, 07:21 AM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
We will be using cloth again with this baby. I have a pretty good stash from DD. If this baby is a boy, you bet he will be wearing pink and purple diapers!

August 18th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I just switched over to cloth this week with Akadia and I plan to use it on the new baby too. So far it's going great and she looks adorable in her new diapers. I have prefolds and covers, but I'm mainly using the BumGenius 4.0 diapers and the Flip covers with stay dry inserts. The BG 4.0's are pocket diapers and once they are stuffed, are pretty much no different than using a disposable so not sure why daycare would have a problem with something like that. All they do is put it on the baby like any other disposable and then put it in a bag when soiled and give it back to you. Doesn't get much easier than that. I could totally understand them not wanting to deal with regular covers and prefolds or inserts that have to be taken out and replaced though.

I'm also using cloth wipes now and I love those so much better than disposable wipes. They are thicker and clean in one swipe instead of having to use like 4 disposable to clean up a mess. I keep them folded up in a wipes warmer filled with warm water and just wring them out before using. Akadia doesn't whine when I use them like she did with the regular wipes which I think irritated her. They just get tossed in the wet bag along with the diapers.

August 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Super Mommy
we are using cloth, it is way cheaper for us right now, since we have 2 in diapers still.
Im hoping this baby is a girl, so I can go find some awesome girly prints...but if its a boy, there are still TONS of cute boy prints We mostly use sunbabys and kawaii's, have the odd flip and bum genius, but like sunbabys and kawaiis the best...so far.
Littlest DS is allergic to disposables, so cloth saves his butt!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search