Theory.

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I took this OPK today and it is crazy dark. Which makes sense since my HCG is probably around 300,000 by now. But I wonder. If you ovulate two eggs, do you get a much darker OPK? My OPKs when I ovulate tend to be exactly the same darkness, not even a tad darker. Maybe you could anticipate twins this way.... WDYT?

October 11th, 2012, 05:52 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I don't use line OPKs, but this cycle (the one i got preggo on) I ovulated out of both ovaries. I knew it because I ovulated at slightly different times. I like to test out the surge, so I tested on wednesday, got a positive in the evening, still positive on Thursday both morning and night, negative on Friday morning and Friday night...positive on Saturday morning and night, negative on Sunday morning and night.

And the first sono, the tech confirmed that I had a corpus collosm on both ovaries. I did not think both eggs would be good quality though, the only thing that threw me off was decently doubling HCG levels which were on par with Kierans twin pregnancy (he was identical, same sac, so not two eggs that time). But I never truly thought there would be two, and there are not.

I think it is actually pretty common to ovulate twice, even on different days. But I think one egg is still generally stronger and it is not terribly likely to get twins even when ovulating on both sides. Some women consistently ovulate on both sides and don't have any twins. I think it depends on how healthy the eggs are, not necessarily ovulating on both sides. KWIM?

But as for the darkness of the line, I would think it might be a bit darker than normal, if the LH level is dependent on how many eggs are released. I don't know enough about LH levels to know for sure.
October 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a good theory to me. I think the line might be darker if there were 2 eggs and I think that you would continue to get a positive OPK if you ovulated from both ovaries on different days. Are you thinking you might have twins baking in there?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
October 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I thought ovulation tests tell you that you Will be ovulating, not that you have. I bet if you had an lh surge strong enough to release 2 eggs though, the line would be darker.
When we were trying for Natalie, I had lines that were the same and lines that were darker. I know in my case, I only ovulated once. I get ovarian cysts too so I wonder if that makes a difference.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 11th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No Melissa, just curious. I took an opk because I am out of hpts and when it came up so dark, it made me think. I have had ultrasounds Nd they showed one little guy.

October 12th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When you are pregnant, the test is actually detecting the hcg, the hcg is similar in structure to the LH that the OPK detects, because these are antibody based tests, they will detect any structure similar to their targeted analyte. In other words, I am not sure it would tell you whether you are pg with twins or not anymore than an HCG test.

Sorry, my line of work deals with tests for water and soil that use the same exact technology that the pregnancy and OPK tests use, my little geek moment

But, it was a good theory

October 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not suggesting they tell you if you are pregnant with twins, just that they tell you if you are having a bigger LH surge suggesting you ate ovulating two eggs and could expect to be pregnant with twins.

October 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Now that I don't know I thought you were saying that with that test that you took, while pregnant, could you be pregnant twins...misunderstood

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search