Hurricane Sandy (x posted)

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So, we supposedly have this hurricane headed for the East Coast, of which I live in the "warning area". It isn't supposed to hit until Tuesday. I have to go for real grocery shopping, not storm crazy grocery shopping, on my list of needs because I just need them are: milk and toilet paper. I am betting by the time I get to the store tonight or tomorrow, they will be out of those things. Please, someone explain to me why, right before a large storm that is supposed to knock power out, people think they need milk? It is going to go bad anyways, if the power is out for an extended period...leave some milk for me...lol!

Anyone else in this part of the country in the "warning area"? I am not convinced, we always get this hype about a storm or two and then it completely misses us or we get an inch of rain...happens with the snow too!

October 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are not in the warning area but whenever they call for snow where I live, people go crazy. it's like we are going to be snowed in for weeks. You go to the grocery store and they are out of milk, bread and toilet paper. Drives me crazy. I will usually avoid the store unless it is absolutely necessary that I go.

Hope you guys don't get hit too bad. Stay safe.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
October 26th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Were in the warning area too. I have no idea how bad it will actually be but im not to worried.
October 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yup we are in the warning area too. they say it will be as bad as irene last yr. but we'll see.

October 26th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're in a warning area. I'm full-term this weekend. My big concern is going into labor during it!! I'm already about 2cm and 50% effaced as of Monday and have been having mild to moderate contractions all week. With the full moon and storm seems ripe for pushing my body over the edge into labor!

Last edited by Belita; October 26th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
October 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure if they changed where it hits land but I know we are expecting the high winds and the wonderful rain.

Quote:
. Please, someone explain to me why, right before a large storm that is supposed to knock power out, people think they need milk?
If you don't open your fridge too much, it will last for 3 days. I've lived through 2 storms now where we lost power for 2+ weeks and both times, all stores and gas stations were closed. When the stores finally opened, they had to wait for delivery of milk. We are stocking up on milk, bread and gas (for generator). It will be the wind that will cause us the most damage since they still haven't cleaned up all the down branches from last October's snow storm. Oh and if you are like me, stock up on water. Not having running water sucks especially when you can't flush toilets..

October 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
I live in Delaware and I can tell you, I'm prepared no matter what. Sure, I didn't grow up on the east coast so I'm not so familiar with Hurricanes but apparently this one is supposed to be a lot worse than Irene was (at least it's what they are saying right now, obviously it can change). I would rather be safe than sorry so I got some bottled water and flashlights and filled up on gas just in case we get evacuated (I live right by a river).

Always missing my 4 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12, 11/27/14
October 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We are in the hit zone too, just south of newest models (the one from this morning had us right in the drop zone...but it moved a little). I plan to take the boys to my moms house, who is inland. We are right on the water. We flood with an inch of rain in high tide. So DH is staying and holding up the house. But I don't relish being without power with two small Kids. I don't mind a little road trip. I visit often enough, it's not that weird to take a little trip up there.
October 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I live in DE too We have lots of bottles that we are going to fill up with water (by bottles I mean Nalgene)...apparently most stores are already out of the bottled water, so it wouldn't matter anyways.

I still don't get the milk thing...lol! I have to get it anyways, just hope there is some left

I need the storm to wait until after Sunday afternoon, I am supposed to have a girls day out with a friend at a fall festival and wine tasting, I NEED that day...lol!

October 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck getting your milk and TP All of you stay safe!

November 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got my milk and TP We only lost power for about 14 hours. We had very high winds and had flooding in our basement, still dealing with that...it is making our house smell horribly! BLECH!! But, we escaped with just that and no other major damage...it could have been a lot worse, so for that I am grateful.

I had so many Nalgene bottles filled that we are still using the water from those...lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search