MaterniT21 results in a few days

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 3 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So at my appointment one week ago (which went great btw), my OB let me go for the MaterniT21 test instead of the NT/sequential screen stuff. Which is awesome because it is WAY more accurate, though it is so new we had to do some weird paperwork. And they took two MASSIVE vials of blood!!! I felt like I was donating! But the test looks for free fetal DNA floating around in the mom's blood plasma or something, so I guess they need a big sample.

I don't have any real risk factors for chromosomal issues but as the time when I expect to hear results (Monday-Wednesday next week) approaches, I am reading about trisomy and stuff and getting a bit nervous. It will be good to have a 99% certain result though. But the waiting sucks.

I will also find out if they see any Y chromosomes the sex data are less definitive- if they say "girl" that's like 95% sure, not 99%- but if they say "boy" it is basically 100% because that Y chromosome sure didn't come from me! Still better than the average early u/s though. I am really excited to find out the sex!

December 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope the results are good! I have heard that those are not as accurate if you've been pregnant within the past 2 years.... I may be wrong though

December 14th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have not come across that info. I have heard that false positives with the rare conditions (trisomy 18 and 13 I think) are more common than with trisomy 21. But I believe that may be just due to the extremely small numbers of cases with those rare conditions. The main thing I like about the stats is the super low false negative rate for Downs. The test has been improved over time too so some of the related tests from the past had worse results. It is a quickly evolving technology, the more computing power and the bigger genomic database they have, the better the results!

December 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I hadn't heard about that... it sounds pretty cool! It's always weird to me that they don't have better diagnostics (and a better understanding, in general) for pregnancy/fetal issues. It seems like something that they just don't allocate enough resources toward.

But enough geeking out over the test I hope your results come back perfect!
December 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds really cool! I hope you find out what you want to know!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
December 17th, 2012, 01:33 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
This is the trst my doctor has talked me into getting instead of the nt scan or afp. He said it can be done at anytime and has much lower rates of false positives. I'm getting a scan on Dec 24 and will be asking about getting it done then. I hate the waiting though.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
December 17th, 2012, 06:03 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck. Let us know what the results say. This is something new that I have never heard of.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have never heard of this test, but am intrigued! Being that I have a background in genetics (before switching to the environmental sciences), I love hearing about "new" testing.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for, please keep us posted! And yay for possibly finding out the gender

December 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is it bad that im more excited that you might find out the gender than i am about the cool new test?

I do hope you get great results on both things!
December 17th, 2012, 02:59 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also opted for the MatrnI21 test and I am supposed to have the results by the end of the week.

I am pretty terrified of the Trisomy 13 or 18 and not sure why I have such a rough feeling about it this time.

I hope you get the great news you are hoping for!
December 17th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had it done back in June with Katelyn. We were planning on doing the amnio at 18w (due to my age) but the genetic counselor said it is pretty accurate. We opted to wait until we finished with the level II u/s first. It came back clear so we did the blood test. All results were negative.

If your insurance covers some of the test, don't be surprise if they come back with a much higher rate than originally stated. We were told that you won't pay more than $475 however we got a bill 4 weeks ago for $1200. (my insurance covered half). We ended up arguing and winning since we were told $475 max. Thankfully I saved all receipts..

December 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I was told $235 max. They have an OOP limit since the company really wants the test to be more commonly used and not all insurance covers it. I have really good insurance so we'll see how good it actually is lol.

Thanks for the good wishes ladies, still waiting for results, probably tomorrow or the next day!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Last edited by shen7; December 17th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
December 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When is the range for when they can do it? Does it only screen for those specfifc disorders or does it see all the chromosomes? I want to get an amnio to rule out an unbalanced translocation, but am too scared. We need to see chromosomes 1 and 20 specifically...

December 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargatemommy View Post
When is the range for when they can do it? Does it only screen for those specfifc disorders or does it see all the chromosomes? I want to get an amnio to rule out an unbalanced translocation, but am too scared. We need to see chromosomes 1 and 20 specifically...
My understanding is that *in theory* they could isolate and analyze all the chromosomes, but it would require a lot more computation and a bigger database of chromosomes to compare to. It makes it a harder problem with more variables. The test looks at cell-free DNA floating around so it takes some work to sort and match up the fragments and figure out what chromosomes they are from, etc. Since "big data" problems like this are getting solved better and better all the time, there is good reason to expect that the technology will be there in 5-10 years to get a full genotype analysis, perhaps it will be just as good as amnio eventually, but right now, they focus MAINLY on chromosome 21 and looking for trisomy in particular. And they recently added looking for trisomies 13 and 18 with promising results. Plus they tell about the sex, whether they see the Y chromosome or not. But that is all you get from MaterniT21 in its current form.

This stuff really gets my geek side going... I just think it is so cool.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search